F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Disengage auto stop/start 2017 (& Later) F-Pace

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DPK
Great post Spesh...

As my luck would have it..I went about tackling this project to disabling the this Stupid Auto-Start/stop feature...I followed the great instructions and guess what?..NO friggin' MODULE...anywhere, I even looked under the spare tire and battery..Nothing!...So Back to square one, as I have no clue of where else to look for this damn module..

Anybody have any other ideas of where to look for it?..My build date is May, 2016...

Thanks for any help
Thats same build date as mine, it has to be there. Its really kinda behind tail light, pull carpet back and look in the corner.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:26 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I'll go look again..thanks for the feedback

Old 02-07-2017, 08:29 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

A million thanks Jdurhan...Had it not been for your motivation..I would have given up...

So here is the long and short of the deal;

I removed the black molding piece with the 12V plug in it at the top of the carpet..There is a torx bit screw in the hanger hole thingy in it..this holds the molding piece in place, then it just snaps out of place...good thing I did it this, because at the top edge of the carpet board there are 3 pop in fasteners holding the carpet board up, I popped them out and I removed the fuse box cover too along with the little hook mention before, then the carpet board just pulled away easily..didn't have to remove the weather strip either...Low and behold there it was..a lot larger than I was expecting mounted so the plugs and wires faced towards the front of the car..(First time I looked I was expecting a smaller module and mounted against the side of the car and not to the rear of the aft pillar)..good thing it wasn't a snake.

Anyway, After fingering the plugs and yes you have to remove the big black one and the big white one first, the little plug in question is a b!tch to get my big fat fingers in there to pinch it to pull it off..but finally I was able and just let the bugger dangle

I put everything back together and started the car..First thing, the little light by the override button lit up..I thought, oh ****, but then it went out on it's own after a few seconds..Drove the car around the block for a while (I didn't touch the button at all)..And the car stayed running at stop lights like the feature was disabled or wasn't even there..nothing happened and it stayed running, no warning lights or messages..all looked and acted normal ...Halleluiah!

I'm so happy now.

Thanks again to Spesh and Jdurhan for the help here with this idiotic feature...

How the hell did you ever figure out where this module was?

Last edited by DPK; 02-08-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 AM

I too can't stand the start/stop feature but I would caution anyone unplugging anything from the VQM.

It's an important module in the network.

If you have the car in for service under warranty the event will be logged in SDD/ Pathfinder and the dealer could make you pay for the service if there is an issue.

I worked at a dealer and saw what can happen if a VQM fails although it was on an XF.

My only advice is too seek a Jaguar Techs advice on doing this long term.

These cars are all about software and modules and are constantly getting uploaded practically ever time your car is in for service.

For example I was talking to a tech I know last week and he was PDI'ing a 17 F Pace and had 14 updates on a brand new car. He never had that before and was astonished!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

terreneuve..I appreciate what you're trying to say and cautioning us for...But I am an electronics tech..Not automotive, but electrons all move in the same way...However I could be wrong, but I think this plug we are unplugging from the module is an input from the Button we push to disable the auto/start module..and since this plug is removed it's like holding down the button, I'm over simplifying it, but you get what I mean..so I don't think it will interfere with programming or other functions...

Push come to shove...We can always tell the dealer if it ever becomes an issue that the plug must have just become unplugged by itself...you know, wasn't installed properly in the beginning...wink, wink

Last edited by DPK; 02-08-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
terreneuve..I appreciate what you're trying to say and cautioning us for...But I am an electronics tech..Not automotive, but electrons all move in the same way...However I could be wrong, but I think this plug we are unplugging from the module is an input from the Button we push to disable the auto/start module..and since this plug is removed it's like holding down the button, I'm over simplifying it, but you get what I mean..so I don't think it will interfere with programming or other functions...

Push come to shove...We can always tell the dealer if it ever becomes an issue that the plug must have just become unplugged by itself...you know, wasn't installed properly in the beginning...wink, wink
I understand where you are coming from but a Voltage Quality Module has a purpose and feeds other safety systems in the car.

The XF that I mentioned had a VQM intermittent failure where the car would shut down, turn off the engine, and lock the steering. Customer had it happen three times within 3 months last time on a highway at 65 mph, luckily going around a bend and the car could drift to the side of the road.

I am not saying it will happen to a F-Pace but if Jaguar engineering tell you it can't be turned off completely there has to be a good reason.

But of course this is an individuals choice.

Take care!

Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply..I like a good sensible discussion....

This Module if it is even a VQM.(?).The small wires/plug are an input and the larger ones are the output and major current monitoring..The plug removed is an enabling circuit or disabling whichever way you want to look at it, relevant to minimum car system's current flow or outside ambient temperature parameters..so without this input from the button via a processor..the Module or whatever it is, will remain mute or benign.

I am not saying it will happen to a F-Pace but if Jaguar engineering tell you it can't be turned off completely there has to be a good reason.
The reason is, it's about EPA and economy ratings...To tell people how to disable it as we've learned here how to, will violate some regulations the dealership /manufacturer are bound to.

Also..as mentioned in Spesh's post #14...The information panel centered between the Speedo and Tach indicates the Automatic Start/Stop system is in fact OFF..further proving to me the car's happy with the situation and all functions are normal.

BTW..This thread was started by the OP back in August, 2016..since then, several people have done the mod with no issues to date...

Last edited by DPK; 02-08-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

If you are going to play dumb then I would just unplug the button itself since you can blame gravity for the connector for coming out since it is upside down?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

ive seen the easiest way from customers doing it is to simply undo the negative cable from the secondary battery

Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I thought about that..but this way seemed as easy of a way..Fortunately, this car doesn't have the secondary battery though..

Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2.0d a bit different

Thanks for the great instructions!

Did this today on 2.0d Canada model. Not warm enough today to see if it works yet. It did cut out yesterday once before pulling the plug.

BUT after plug pulled I noticed the light for A stays on, and I get no warnings at all selecting A off. Normal messages saying it's on or off.

Will advise if if this mod fails on my diesel.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Talking it worked!

Originally Posted by Gerald Feschuk
Thanks for the great instructions!

Did this today on 2.0d Canada model. Not warm enough today to see if it works yet. It did cut out yesterday once before pulling the plug.

BUT after plug pulled I noticed the light for A stays on, and I get no warnings at all selecting A off. Normal messages saying it's on or off.

Will advise if if this mod fails on my diesel.
Warm enough that it should cut out now when stopped. The fix worked, but in our case the A light remains illuminated and there is no error message when pressing it off.

So thanks!

Old 02-16-2017, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by FpaceJK
I do not understand why they just do not have it set that when its off it stays off till you press the button and then its on.

It also annoys me that you when you set your car to dynamic and turn the car off then next time its back to standard and you have to select dynamic.

Why can they just not remember the last setting, it can not be that hard.
Unfortunately its all to do with the CAFE regulations agreed to years ago that tighten up all car manufacturers and which is predominately why most volume cars are looking the same.

I couldn't agree more that its stupid but features like this and more annoying ones are coming.

I worked in the JLR circle and went to a seminar on CAFE and its history and future.

For me ,an avid JLR fan , love their ideas and enthusiasm with JAG but they have a tough fight in the market.

I don't need a "new" JAG as I have quite a few classic ones's but am extremely interested in JLR's future and want them to succeed!

Old 02-16-2017, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

I went a different route, I went with the VAP handheld programmer to disable mine. All it does is change the parameter layout of when it would kick in so it won't anymore.

so if it needs to see X RPM to kick in they just set that threshold lower so it never sees it and never engages. No side effects at all and lots of us here have done it. The button still lights up but it doesn't do anything so I'm a very happy camper and don't have to worry about my wife or myself getting into an accident with this stupid feature.

going this route is also good since you're not unplugging any modules that power other things or creating any fault codes.

check out velocity AP for the product.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts
Default SmartStopStart

I make some popular products for Jag convertibles and am a frequent contributor on that side of the forum.

A few months ago I also started making an Auto Stop Start disable memory device for the Jeep Grand Cherokee (Smart Stop Start - Home) and am quickly expanding this into other markets. This plugs in the diagnostic port under the dash in 10 seconds and make the default for Auto Stop Start whatever your last setting was automatically each time you start the car.

There are no modifications to the vehicle, and it does not require expensive programmers. It causes no error codes or warning lights.

I have had some requests to do this for the F-Pace.

To make this happen I need a volunteer in the DC Metro area willing to give me a few hours (probably 2-4) with his or her car in exchange for a free module. Any interest ?

-Steve

Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I would be very interested in this device, unfortunately I live in So. Florida so I can't help with the development. I hope you find someone, this is a great solution.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I make some popular products for Jag convertibles and am a frequent contributor on that side of the forum.

A few months ago I also started making an Auto Stop Start disable memory device for the Jeep Grand Cherokee (Smart Stop Start - Home) and am quickly expanding this into other markets. This plugs in the diagnostic port under the dash in 10 seconds and make the default for Auto Stop Start whatever your last setting was automatically each time you start the car.

There are no modifications to the vehicle, and it does not require expensive programmers. It causes no error codes or warning lights.

To make this happen I need a volunteer in the DC Metro area willing to give me a few hours (probably 2-4) with his or her car in exchange for a free module. Any interest ?

-Steve
I have the product called " Taser" http://www.zautotech.com/tazer.html
I love this thing for my new Durango but the only thing it don't do is have ECO disable memory. It is so annoying that the Eco button reverts back to on overtime you restart the truck just like our ESS on the Jags.

Can your box do Dynamic memory on as well so the ESS will stay off and Dynamic mode can stay on as well maybe?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR

-Steve
Originally Posted by BigCat09
I have the product called " Taser" http://www.zautotech.com/tazer.html
I love this thing for my new Durango but the only thing it don't do is have ECO disable memory. It is so annoying that the Eco button reverts back to on overtime you restart the truck just like our ESS on the Jags.

Can your box do Dynamic memory on as well so the ESS will stay off and Dynamic mode can stay on as well maybe?
Yes, I currently do not, but potentially can do ECO also. I thought this was only an issue on the 2014 Durango?

Please continue this conversation via PM, so this thread stays on topic.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Howdy to all,
I am very interested in learning features of the F-Pace.... for my benefit, can someone please explain exactly what this Start/Stop feature is all about and why its used.... and why some here feel it is best avoided and why this procedure is so important ??

Thanks in advance

Old 05-15-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lcgi
Howdy to all,
I am very interested in learning features of the F-Pace.... for my benefit, can someone please explain exactly what this Start/Stop feature is all about and why its used.... and why some here feel it is best avoided and why this procedure is so important ??

Thanks in advance
The auto stop/start cuts the engine when waiting for the lights to change, etc. Basically stops the engine to reduce idle time. Then when the accelerator is pushed the engine restarts and away you go. Cuts emissions during idling and is used to bring fuel economy numbers in line with regulatory targets.

It's plain annoying to me. Also concerned about constant wear and tear on starter. Our fuel mileage on the 2.0d is about 6.5l/100 km or 44 miles per imperial gallong (37 mpg US) which is very very good without the auto stop/start thanks very much!

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (05-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Disengage auto stop/start 2017 (& Later) F-Pace