Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

the character of the car for me changes when you put black wheels on it

Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
No. I was speaking of the choice I made last year. I still haven't seen Ammonite in person and really hope I don't like it better than Storm when I do. That would be a disappointment, but a minor one I could live with. It's a great looking car, and I have no intentions of getting rid of it.
For what it's worth, I personally like the Storm a lot more. The color is richer and the large flakes, which appear Xirallic, really make it pop in the sunlight. Ammonite is much more subtle.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im almost over black wheels...
The car im looking at is storm grey red interior black pack - stock silver wheels.

I can always get them done in black after.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Well there ya go... 4 sets of Storm Grey pics (including the XE) and the color looks different in every one.

It's like driving a different color car every time you get in it... you certainly won't get bored with it.

I didn't do the black pack on mine. I prefer having a hint of bright metal to add contrast against the darker color as opposed to having the "murdered out" look, but I did change the hood vents, side vents and mirrors to carbon fiber. It compliments the color very nicely and adds to the exotic appeal. I receive a lot of compliments on it.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
im almost over black wheels...
The car im looking at is storm grey red interior black pack - stock silver wheels.

I can always get them done in black after.
I think the oem carbon fiber ones look great on almost all colors. They're not all black though.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by allenman85
Love the pics. Black rims look awesome on that car in that color.
Also...the English plates look *way* better than our crappy plates on that car!
Agreed, allenman. Almost simultaneous with the decision to go ahead and order my car, was this decision that I needed to find some sort of frame-treatment for the US-sized licence plate it would have to wear.

English, Holland, Germany, others, you all have plate proportions and format that exude "class", or "sophistication" or (..something, "style").

A US-sized plate on the rear of the Jaguar is acceptable---the Jaguar's typically have enough modesty in their rear appearance to make even a NY plate look respectable. But that small US plinth on the front of these vehicles always looks like a kid's shirt on a grown-up man.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
Agreed, allenman. Almost simultaneous with the decision to go ahead and order my car, was this decision that I needed to find some sort of frame-treatment for the US-sized licence plate it would have to wear.

English, Holland, Germany, others, you all have plate proportions and format that exude "class", or "sophistication" or (..something, "style").

A US-sized plate on the rear of the Jaguar is acceptable---the Jaguar's typically have enough modesty in their rear appearance to make even a NY plate look respectable. But that small US plinth on the front of these vehicles always looks like a kid's shirt on a grown-up man.
Why not give this a try:

In a state where county mounties are extremely vigilant regarding front plate display (MD), I have had no reaction other than law enforcement watching me pass to observe the rear plate. Though, technically not legal, they certainly serve the intended purpose. These can be custom stamped for any state at Custom Front License Plates, Personalized Vanity Auto Plate -LICENSEPLATES.TV

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniet
Ammonite is great as well
Are those pictures taken in Cornwall?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Many of us don't run a front plate at all. Highly dependent on where you live as to whether this is acceptable. I was nervous for the first year, but the rozzers don't seem to care. I pop on the front plate for the annual inspection, then pop it back off.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Hiya

Pics were taken on the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides (UK)

Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I miss lunar grey!!!!! It was such a nice color.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:34 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Storm is a great colour but I love Ammonite..
Name:  cdab00d66c13111ce94d81bb8cc1f6f2_zpsp7ii3qk3.jpg
Views: 6423
Size:  802.0 KB
I even put a 150 Million Year old one on the steering wheel ...
Name:  ef7d7944b25b4c75b84b12b19097ee1a_zpsnhjh6xdm.jpg
Views: 5662
Size:  338.1 KB

Old 02-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Storm Grey V6 from a few angles to show how the color changes ...

Old 03-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, all, and Happy New Year to you.

I have been a proud owner of the new XE for about 8 weeks now. Never owned a Jaguar before, but I did much research on the colors being offered.

Here in the US, "metallic" colors were famous during the 70's (corvettes, pontiac muscle cars, etc)... then became considered pretentious and clownish through the '80s. By mid 90's, the idea came back, but with a beautiful subtlety to the paint that played with your eyes, and often couldn't be detected at night until you touched the car and saw the twinkle under the shadow of your hand. "Metallic" as a word was avoided by the manufacturers (didn't want to associate the long-passed muscle car era again), so cars like my toyota were referred to as 'satin-granite'.

So when the Jaguar vehicles started using the "metallic" term, I was very worried just how "metallic" the colors are.
My wonderful observation, and my advice to you, is that NO photo will do the justice you're looking for in these colors. The metallic plays with the light in this incredible way, so that the color keeps changing on your car.

Some of the colors offered are very stable, and don't respond much to being "metallic" (Italian red, Arctic white, Cobalt blue, Anomite Grey ---they respond to different kinds of fluorescent light in your garage or petrol station)...

But Storm Grey falls into the metallic-sensitive category, much like my so-named British Racing Green. Look at the car in a photo, then look at the car in a showroom, then go back to the showroom when they've moved the car outside in the lot, then visit when the sun has gone down. You get so confused, it will make you angry.

I was interested in both the Brit Grn and the Storm Gr colors. "Storm" is an excellent word for it, because each change in weather or cloudiness literally changes what you think you're looking at. But Storm Grey always draws the attention of pedestrians. It's something you expect James Bond to step out of, day or night. Gorgeous.
It's that feeling, you should decide you want or don't want when people see your car. IF you want that amount of "Lord, look at that car--what kind of car is that?"... then Storm Grey is your choice, because it's changing itself every few hours as the light progresses.

(I eventually elected the British Racing Green because, although it changes just as much as the Storm Grey, in the shade or at night, it DOESN'T draw pedestrians' attention anymore---it hides in the night, looks like the shadow of a tree or the extension of the anonymous cars parked beside it. I LOVED the Storm, but wanted the sneaky nightime blurriness that the Brit Grn pretends to have, so pedestrians will safely ignore it on the curb).

Anomite Grey holds its color very well all through the day, and at night it manages to look exactly like the "gray" colors that several other companies (KIA, BMW, Nissan) used on their cars here in the US. A nice color, but too much like my neighbors, so not too unique looking here in American cities.

So, choose your color based on that preferred "feeling" I tried to describe here. Not on the photos (the metallic plays too mischievously with the photos we try to take).

Anomite is the more stable, easy going color that pedestrians will admire, but leave you alone to drive your car.
Storm is the color that, well, is more likely to make you return to your car with the coffee in your hand,... and find that young couple has picked your car to prop up against and start kissing each other... "Hey!! What the---!"
Thank you for your informative comments. I am in the process of selling my 2013 white XJ and buying a new Carpathian grey XJ R-Sport this week. I originally thought of getting blue, red----or even another whire(Fuji). I saw an F-Type in the showroom in this really great color----Carpathian grey (with ivory/mineral inside). It was so much "darker" in the showroom than any color I would have thought of----yet, there was something so beautiful about it. The car was near a window-wall. It had been cloudy. Suddenly the clouds parted, sunlight entered, and the hue of the color seemed to change----fascinating. As of right now, my new XJ will be delivered to my dealership from a dealership in a neighboring state early next week. I have only seen the color Carpathian grey in the showroom next to the window-wall. From what I get researching Carpathian grey (AND storm grey) and reading what you wrote---- the car subtly shifts color (within its range) depending on location and sunlight. I am sure it will be beautiful in any circumstance, and the "shifts" in color is truly the icing on the cake!! If you have any more insight into Carpathian grey that you care to share, I would appreciate it. In any case, thanks for the great read!!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Musictogo
Thank you for your informative comments. I am in the process of selling my 2013 white XJ and buying a new Carpathian grey XJ R-Sport this week. I originally thought of getting blue, red----or even another whire(Fuji). I saw an F-Type in the showroom in this really great color----Carpathian grey (with ivory/mineral inside). It was so much "darker" in the showroom than any color I would have thought of----yet, there was something so beautiful about it. The car was near a window-wall. It had been cloudy. Suddenly the clouds parted, sunlight entered, and the hue of the color seemed to change----fascinating. As of right now, my new XJ will be delivered to my dealership from a dealership in a neighboring state early next week. I have only seen the color Carpathian grey in the showroom next to the window-wall. From what I get researching Carpathian grey (AND storm grey) and reading what you wrote---- the car subtly shifts color (within its range) depending on location and sunlight. I am sure it will be beautiful in any circumstance, and the "shifts" in color is truly the icing on the cake!! If you have any more insight into Carpathian grey that you care to share, I would appreciate it. In any case, thanks for the great read!!

Carpathian in a showroom and why I went with it for my 2020 R.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think that you will find that Carpathian is the new name for Storm. Jaguar realigned all their paint names to be consistent across the JLR range a while back.

Its also worth looking up Xirallic paint via google. There’s some clever technology behind it which explains its premium price. It definitely not just another metallic paint - it’s quite different.
Kev

Last edited by Kdes; 03-15-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdes
I think that you will find that Carpathian is the new name for Storm. Jaguar realigned all their paint names to be consistent across the JLR range a while back.
Impossible to be certain on the screen, but the picture above looks different than Storm. It looks slightly lighter.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Impossible to be certain on the screen, but the picture above looks different than Storm. It looks slightly lighter.
being Xirallic it is designed to pick up the colour of the surroundings and changes dramatically under different light and angles. I’ve got storm and in the sun can see even see flecks if pink and green.

Both carpathian and storm are code 1Au

Kev

Last edited by Kdes; 03-15-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Received 186 Likes on 93 Posts

I love my Storm Grey. The color really does vary quite a bit depending on lighting and surroundings. British Racing Green is also stunning

Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdes
being Xirallic it is designed to pick up the colour of the surroundings and changes dramatically under different light and angles. I’ve got storm and in the sun can see even see flecks if pink and green.

Both carpathian and storm are code 1Au
Mine is also Storm Grey, so I'm quite familiar with its chameleon-like properties. I haven't seen Carpathian in person, but if the paint code is the same, it's the same.