F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voice activation workarounds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I just took a look and JustDrive's website no longer states "Coming Summer 2015." Seems like vaporware so far... Has anyone else heard from these guys? I wonder what JLR has to say about this.
I'm also concerned that we will never get a proper voice activation app

Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I got an email from the justdrive guys saying that they still intend to launch this summer. Lets see.....

Summer will officially be over in a few hours...

Old 07-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy a "bluetooth button" for a few dollars and stick it on the dash. There are several models that match the look of the dashboard. If you hit the button, it causes Siri to come to life (the car thinks it's a phone call) and you can voice dial using Siri.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by dlleon
You can buy a "bluetooth button" for a few dollars and stick it on the dash. There are several models that match the look of the dashboard. If you hit the button, it causes Siri to come to life (the car thinks it's a phone call) and you can voice dial using Siri.
dlleon, JustDrive is fully launched and offers seamless voice activation.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome! I'm taking my '16 F-type in for the software upgrade right now!

In the meantime, does anyone know of a hack that would allow this to work without being tethered?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Just got my '16 F Type R two days ago - I'm in the same state of annoyance/disappointment - no voice dialing! I think it's important to have from a Safety standpoint - you simply push one button, talk and the call is made. My Genesis and Expedition work great, the Kia Sorento is hit or miss - but has anyone succeeded with the Justdrive/incontrol/whatever app on your Android phone? What's involved?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
Just got my '16 F Type R two days ago - I'm in the same state of annoyance/disappointment - no voice dialing! I think it's important to have from a Safety standpoint - you simply push one button, talk and the call is made. My Genesis and Expedition work great, the Kia Sorento is hit or miss - but has anyone succeeded with the Justdrive/incontrol/whatever app on your Android phone? What's involved?
Voice activation for the entirety of the infotainment system is achievable by downloading the JustDrive app in addition to the InControl app (though it might not be available for Android). Older model iPhones are cheap.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately (or fortunately IMHO) - I don't speak Apple. Is your "cheap" inference that I could get an older used iphone that did not tie to cellular service and that would work? I find it amazing with the all the technology AND buttons in this car, that they didn't dedicate one to act as what appears to be standard fare on all blue tooth enabled cars today - voice calling. What a shame.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately (or fortunately IMHO) - I don't speak Apple. Is your "cheap" inference that I could get an older used iphone that did not tie to cellular service and that would work? I find it amazing with the all the technology AND buttons in this car, that they didn't dedicate one to act as what appears to be standard fare on all blue tooth enabled cars today - voice calling. What a shame.
You might be able to get a cloned SIM from your wireless provider so you can run two phones off the same phone number.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I guess this ends my hope of using this app. I do have a fb acct but they are not getting their hands on it...
https://support.justdrive.net/hc/en-...-Registeration"
To use justDrive you must have a Google+ or Facebook account."

So everyone using this app has logged in via one of these these two?
Thanks.

Last edited by Misujerr; 02-23-2017 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-23-2017, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I guess this ends my hope of using this app. I do have a fb acct but they are not getting their hands on it...
https://support.justdrive.net/hc/en-...-Registeration"
To use justDrive you must have a Google+ or Facebook account."

So everyone using this app has logged in via one of these these two?
Thanks.
That's odd,. I did not have to register an FB or Google acct. when I set up JustDrive on my '16MY.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 AM

I note that there is an app for my Android phone, not sure if it has all the functionality. Of course, I go to set up myself with Jaguar and when I register on the website their activation code never makes it to my email. I'll now have to call them later in the AM when open and we'll go from there. Everything seems broken these days.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I have had the Android App for my MY16 and it works, but no voice control.
Larry

Old 02-23-2017, 07:18 AM

that is what I gleaned by the app when launched - limited functionality. Jag has really missed the mark here.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Just Drive works but you have to touch the screen. For iPhone users "Hey Siri" is the way I call hands free.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey, so some folks up the thread said that voice activation works fine, now folks are saying it doesn't? That is really why I would use the justDrive app. Seems like the other functionality is covered by the InControl app? Anyway, to confuse matters even more, I got this response from the justDrive folks when I sent an inquiry:
"Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in our app.
To answer your question, you will indeed need either a Google or Facebook login to use the app.
However, do note that the InControl Touch PRO head unit is not voice control capable yet and will have to go through a service update process once it's available by JLR.
As soon as this software service update is available, we will work on adjusting our app to support it, but at this point of time I am afraid I can not provide you with a date."

Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM

The drift I get is that no matter what - you must start the function (be it voice dial, radio tuning, navigation, whatever) by pushing the screen first. After that, I guess there is some limited functionality.
Anyone who currently uses this - would you please to tell us an example of how you use this "feature", push by push and spoken command, etc.?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

The drift I get is that no matter what - you must start the function (be it voice dial, radio tuning, navigation, whatever) by pushing the screen first. After that, I guess there is some limited functionality.
Anyone who currently uses this - would you please to tell us an example of how you use this "feature", push by push and spoken command, etc.?
1. Push microphone button on screen. 2. Say"Call John Doe" 3. Push button on screen next to correct listing.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
1. Push microphone button on screen. 2. Say"Call John Doe" 3. Push button on screen next to correct listing.
Hey Siri, call John Doe is a lot quicker

Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
Hey Siri, call John Doe is a lot quicker
As is 'OK Google, call Johnny Briggs'.

Quick Reply: Voice activation workarounds?