General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant System Parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant System Parts

I need a new radiator for my 2004 s-type V6, and a "water valve". I discovered that ordering parts on-line is way cheaper than going with what the repair shop was going to charge me for them. But I can't find any parts listed under "water valve". Is this the same as a heater control valve or could it be called something else?

Also, are there any recommendations as to parts brands, or are they all pretty much the same as long as they fit the vehicle and meet the specs? I've found positive reviews for some radiators (and a big difference in prices), like TYC, Spectra and Behr, but they all have to do with the part fitting and working immediately after installation. What about a year or two down the road? Is going with the cheaper brands risky? Any advice to this neophyte?

Old 10-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Might be better if you move this to the S-type forum, as I'm sure others have had the same problem.

Many reputable jaguar spares suppliers on the internet will list several parts for the same part number, some Jaguar, some OEM, (the supplier of the part to Jaguar), and others that may well work OK, but are copies. These are normally indicated by a character at the end of the part number, like a # character. The savings can be large.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the info. It helps. I intended this as a general question using my current situation as an example. Generally, are there parts brands that are better to use than others? Are parts made by the original manufacturer generally best to go with? I've heard that Behr parts are being made in Asia now rather than Germany and the quality has deteriorated. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

I still work (sort of) in the aftermarket Auto Parts field.

OEM etc are mostly made in China, as are most near anything we seek today, and the quality can be questionable.

I needed 2 heater taps for our S Types, and DCCV is a common na,e on the WWW.

Got Matrix?????, memory fails me brand from a vendor on here, at 1/4 the price here. OK, original were Bosch, make in Spain for one, and Turkey for the other. The new were China, and work fine, 3 years now.

Radiators, BE CAREFULL. We sell the China specials at work, and about 30% dont make the test drive. A better known brand, still made in China, NO issues at all.

Like I say many times "Oils aint Oils", do your homework, as you are, and be carefull. Radiators and heater taps are NOT simple 10 minute tasks to swap out.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (10-31-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks for all the help. The "water valve" did turn out to be the same as a heater control valve.

My parts brands research has not come up with anything conclusive. I'm getting the impression there's not a lot of difference between brands, other than price. My choices for the valve are Bosch and Metrix, with the Metrix being a lot cheaper. I'm probably going with the TYC radiator, which comes with a limited warranty, although Spectra is about the same price. Has anyone reading this had any experience with these brands and recommendations?

If I don't hear otherwise I'll take the plunge and go with the Metrix valve and TYC radiator and hope for the best.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Thats the name, Metrix is what I have, and no issues so far.

Radiators, nope, still the originals.