S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change the headlight / tail light bulbs ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I didn't respond to this until now since I thought that this was for the HID lamps. But looking at the car, I wouldn't think you would need to pull the housing. I've changed my bulbs a few times already, trying out some different bulb setups. The owners manual is OK, but heck, they tell you to go to the dealer for the fog lamp replacement. Yet, when I drop the cover under the front of the car, there they are. Easy. For the poster that mentioned the Accord. Those are a pain, mainly on the drivers side. I found a trick though. The airbox is what gets in the way. A couple of bolts and it pops right out. Then the bulbs are easy to get to. On the S, about the only time saver I found is to pop out and or unplug all the lamps (except the low beam) and pull the harness gently out of the way. Makes for a lot more room in there. Also, the tail lamps are pretty sweet themselves once you get the trunk trim off. They just unsnap in the housing and the bulbs are right there.

BTW. I have a couple of H7 and 2005 lamps lying around....

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I've got an H7 HID kit coming in on Friday that I ordered from DDMtuning.com (they're not a widely known site that I know of but I heard on ClubLexus.com that they're the best bang for your buck for a lifetime warranty on HID's for only $80). I was going to simply replace with stock bulbs but I opted for the brighter and least colorful option of a 4500K kit. I figured it'll help keep the best visibility for the late night driving when I'm going back and forth from VA to FL (I just hope the bulbs don't defect and burn out when I do the drive home March 10th!).

Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Looks like I'll be pulling the front cover after all. It was a bit cold outside when I went to install my HID's so my fingers got a little numb. Needless to say, when I was reclamping the wire connecter on the passenger side I managed to push it off instead of clamping it on. She's at the dealership now getting a tire alignment, but I don't think there's any other way to put it back on without pulling the whole headlight.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI,

does it also work with Xenon-Highlights? So do I also don't have to take the bumper off?

THX,
Paul

Old 10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Caesar
HI,

does it also work with Xenon-Highlights? So do I also don't have to take the bumper off?

THX,
Paul
To change the bulbs alone, just follow the instructions. The cover for the radiator support is held on with 4 plastic clips.

To change the headlamp housing you need to pull the bumper.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW....
That original post FROMBENZ2JAG scared the you know what out of me.
You had to be there. Remember him guy's?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by badmojo
WOW....
That original post FROMBENZ2JAG scared the you know what out of me.
You had to be there. Remember him guy's?
I don't.... enlighten us, please..

Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 AM

HI,

I got the Xenon-bulbs yesterday! Today I want to build them in! So I'll try to take the bumper off. But do I need to be aware of something to change the bulbs, once I've taken off the bumper? Is there any trick?

thx

Old 10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I don't.... enlighten us, please..
Just go to page one and click on fbj's name and select see all posts, all will be revealed, happy reading!

Originally Posted by Caesar
HI,

I got the Xenon-bulbs yesterday! Today I want to build them in! So I'll try to take the bumper off. But do I need to be aware of something to change the bulbs, once I've taken off the bumper? Is there any trick?

thx
I don't think you need to take off the bumper to change the bulbs, do you?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Tommy Chong's younger brother?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by norri
Just go to page one and click on fbj's name and select see all posts, all will be revealed, happy reading!
YIKES! (I meant to use caps )
Reminds me of a recent one......

I agree, You don't need to pull the bumper to change the bulbs. But, some on here say it's real hard to get to the lamps on a HID setup. I just have standard bulbs and have changed all of them without much drama and didn't have to pull the headlamp housings ie. the bumper removal.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 AM

Hi,

I changed both bulbs yesterday! And now the the cat isn't blind anymore!

But it wasn't easy! I've never ever worked on a car before! But I wanted to manage it! And it worked.. It took 4hours though! Well I hadn't the right tools a.s.o.

But I can't imagin how to change them without takeing the bumoer off? Ok, opening the Headlight istn't the problem, but It can hardly be possible to get the holder out...

The hardest things to were the holder of the bulbe, because on one side it just didn't want do be sticked on again.. It took about an hour ..

Also the front bumper cover retaining bolt is a screa directly from hell, I guess! It was really hard to get them off!

BUt I learned a lot and I am proud that I safed about 600$.

But I can't understand why they build the cars in that compicated way!!!?? It isn' just, because we drive Jaguar! A VW Golf isn't much easier...

The only thing which I have to check now, ist how to change the bulbs in the make up mirror..

Old 10-30-2009, 04:27 AM

Hi,

Everything is still ok with my bulbs and I'm proud, that I've been able to change them!

But: I already noticed before I changed my bulbs, that the left side and the right side dont't shine the same way..

the left side ist lower than the right side. It seems so at least! When I'm sitting in my cat, than it looks like this: ___/ on the street! Hope you can understand, what I mean! Is this normal, maybe not to dazzle the drivers over the way... Or to I have to ajust the headlights?

An other Q that I have is, if it is easily possible to change the LEDs of the Instruments, because the km/mls button from the panel on the left side of the steering wheel is dark...

Thanks a lot for you help guys!

Greetz from vienna!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine shine the same way and I don't know why either. I assumed the same thing you did, to avoid shinning into on coming traffic but I got tell you I don't like it. I would like them to just shine straight! There are diffusers inside the headlight housing that are that shape. I've seen them taken apart and the diffusers cut strait and I like it better. I am going to do mine some day.
P.S. Congrats on doing it yourself! My dealer quoted me 790.00 and I too did mine myself for about 80.00 in bulbs.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 AM

HI,

ok, thanks a lot! Than everything is ok now!

Greetz

Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Im not sure what Model Jaguar you guys are talking about, I have a 2003 STR with HID, its very simple and you dont have to take off bumber!! On the passenger side you first have to remove the fuse box that sits directly behind the the headlamp assembly, be patient,, is snaps out and folds upwards then you can access the the bulb,,, On the drivers side you need to disconnect the air filter box and that folds up then you can access the bulb. I cant believe people are actually believing they have to remove front bumper. The crazy thing is if you remove the front bumper you still cant access the bulb access door, Im not sure who put that Information on this site, again this methods pertains to 2003 STR WITH HID BULBS

Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Default How to replace hid bulbs for 2003 s type r

People you do not have to remove Front Bumper to replace HID bulbs in 2003 s type r.. Its very simple,,,

First off you need to remove the plastic cover that lays acrooss the top of the lights..

For the passenger side you have to un fasten the fuse box the sits directly behind the the light this box unfastens and folds upwards, there is also a screw that holds the wiring harness in place losen that screw and that fuse box folds up, after you do that the ACCESS PANEL the the HID BULBS IS ACCESSABLE,, For the driver side HID BULB, UNSCREW the screws that hold the Air filter box in place, and the air filter box folds up and that gives you access to the driver side HID BULB. BULBS ARE HID DS2 4300K FOR OEM, 6000K FOR BRIGHT WHITES OF 8000K FOR LIGHT BLUE

Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

Why such the obsession? In this thread a long time ago we stated that to change any of the bulbs you do not need to remove the bumper. You only need to remove the bumper to remove the headlamp housing... We already cleared that up...

Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Change the headlight / tail light bulbs ?

I have a 2003 S-Type 4.2V8 model and changed both standard low beam bulbs in about 15-20 minutes at most. I did this the day before last after one failed and I installed GE Nighthawk Platinums. The only tools needed are your hands. The owners manual shows you quite clearly how to do it. I was absolutely astounded when I saw this old thread re-surface and the first recommendation was to drop the bumper and remove the headlights. Just to change the standard bulbs?!?!

IMPORTANT REMINDER: DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS ON THE BULBS WITH YOUR FINGERS!

Quick Reply: Change the headlight / tail light bulbs ?