S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curent Error codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Curent Error codes

SO I just recently purchased a 2002 Jaguar S Type 4.0.
I took it to the shop cause the ABS light ad DSC Fault are lit up. The shop came back and said I need a new ABS Control Module. Since then I have found a jaguar shop that ill work on my car ( Kings Cross Automotive in Vancouver, WA). I got the error codes that were pulled from the previous shop and here they are:
P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire

P0734 Gear 4 ratio incorrect

P0745 Pressure Control solenoid A

P1000 check all OBDII system incomplete since last memory clear

P1260 Theft detected Engine disabled ( I only have the Valet key wit a non working remote)

B1342- control module internal failure

B2477- control module configuration failure.

SO They also let me know that I need new valve cover gaskets, lower oil pan gasket, Front upper control arms, front struts.

To add sugar on top the car started getting to hot and the fan was still on after I shut the car off and I checked the coolant and there was none. Even though I filled it in the morning.

SO I am asking for advice on what my next step should be? Should I mark it as a loss and get rid of it or I it better to jut fix everything little by little? I cant ix everything at once that would cost too much.

Thank you everyone.

Ben

Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

i think if the car is in good nik, its worth fixing
first you need to find were the coolant is going and hope fully its not getting in to cylinder no#4 via the head gasket .
with any luck its just a split hose or a bad o-ring .
and a spark plug or coil might be all you need to fix the p0304.
monitors will not complete there check with a cylinder miss fire , (p1000)

get your self an elm327 scanner they are cheep .to do your own scans . you need wifi for iPhone and blue tooth for any thing else petty much. ps will not read or clear abs fails though. only p codes.

according to jtis there is no such code for 2002 (p0745) ,
although p0741,p0743,p0750.p0753.p0755,
p0758, p0760, p0763,p0765,p0768,p0770,and p0773 are all TCM/control valve failure.

I've seen a video on tube replacing valve a and it an easy DIY job . and the part is a cheep ford part .

. and that would only leave you with the abs fault and a key to replace .
not too bad , start with the coolant issue its very critical.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
i think if the car is in good nik, its worth fixing
first you need to find were the coolant is going and hope fully its not getting in to cylinder no#4 via the head gasket .
with any luck its just a split hose or a bad o-ring .
and a spark plug or coil might be all you need to fix the p0304.
monitors will not complete there check with a cylinder miss fire , (p1000)

get your self an elm327 scanner they are cheep .to do your own scans . you need wifi for iPhone and blue tooth for any thing else petty much. ps will not read or clear abs fails though. only p codes.

according to jtis there is no such code for 2002 (p0745) ,
although p0741,p0743,p0750.p0753.p0755,
p0758, p0760, p0763,p0765,p0768,p0770,and p0773 are all TCM/control valve failure.

I've seen a video on tube replacing valve a and it an easy DIY job . and the part is a cheep ford part .

. and that would only leave you with the abs fault and a key to replace .
not too bad , start with the coolant issue its very critical.
thank you. I will get the coolant done first thing.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

2002s have a bad recovery tank. Either it develops a split, or the hose nipple breaks. That was my introduction to S-Types. Water pump next. And....hope the previous owner replaced the plastic timing chain tensioners.

What is the age and condition of the battery? So many different codes....weak battery can trigger those.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Down load a copy of this program https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/details-win7-64-bit-new-install-method-new-jtis21-s-type-archive-66031/.

It will help you a lot with diagnosis and repair
And this will help you identify parts
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/full-jaguar-epc-download-complete-install-instructions-48194/

Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

As stated above, hopefully its just the expansion tank. They were notorious on the S-Type for cracking and leaking, they will leak just behind the tire. Thermostat housings are also notorious for cracking and leaking, along with the water pumps.

The transmission codes, depending on the mileage on the vehicle. I used to live in Texas, and we changed a lot of these transmissions down there. It could just be a solenoid issue, but since you have the gear incorrect ratio code, I suspect it might be more on the mechanical side of things, clutch packs might be worn. Have you checked the fluid level, condition, etc?

The 4.0L V8's are also notorious for Cam Cover Gaskets, the spark plug seals leak, can cause misfires. The Cam Cover Gaskets leak in the rear corners, can be a bit tricky getting these back in without rolling the gasket or tearing it along the back.

The B1342 and B2477 I'm assuming were logged with ABS. If you had access to someone with a WDS still working or an SDD, there is one thing you could try before replacing the ABS module, there is a calibration feature than can be done, I've had a few ABS modules come back from the dead running this, but that's only if you have access to a WDS or SDD, its worth a try. As with anything electrical, always check the battery first, as this can cause all kinds of problems, specially on S-Types.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Before you spend a dime on the car find out the condition of the timing tensioners.

ALL 4.0L V-8's are ticking time bombs until these have been replaced with the newer 3rd generation metal units. When it lets go the engine will be destroyed so no delay in fixing this or stop driving the car until you find out.

All your other problems pale compared to this big one!