S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to headlight repair stype FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
What did you do, go to a inspection station where they roll out a level testor????? Gotta love big brother
Unfortunately, in MD, all inspection stations have the fancy leveling testor. It sucks because if it wasn't for the inspection, your fix would have worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to help you out, this is why I like to do this kinda stuff.Yes there are times and people that only want it back to exact function and original. And those that FIX everything, and then the mixture of both. I always belive in save where you can, spend where you want
I'll be spending enough getting the climate control fixed, dont need to drop another $3000 on headlights. Especially when this fix is arguably better than stock since, barring a MAJOR impact, they wont move anymore!

Edit: Pics have been added. Taken with my cell phone. I might take some with my canon digital this weekend, these didnt come out as well as I had hoped.

Attached Thumbnails How to headlight repair stype FAQ-0313090001.jpg   How to headlight repair stype FAQ-0313090002.jpg   How to headlight repair stype FAQ-0313090003.jpg   How to headlight repair stype FAQ-0228090003.jpg  

Last edited by Sayno; 03-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhitall@yahoo.com
Unfortunately, in MD, all inspection stations have the fancy leveling testor. It sucks because if it wasn't for the inspection, your fix would have worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.
also I tought I had mentioned the screws become your height ajustment now. screw them in to raise, out to lower. You really should have been able to get them at the right height to pass

Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Default Another fix, should go through the inspection

Before Brutal proposed his much simpler solution, I repaired mine by cutting out the adjustment mechanism at the back of the assembly and replacing it by a threaded rod with a ball bearing ball at the end.
It works perfect and provides full adjustment possibility. It is much stronger than the original device but requires some tools to fabricate and also requires removal of the light assembly (that means dropping the front bumper).
You can repair the ones you changed and sell them...

Herve

Attached Thumbnails How to headlight repair stype FAQ-installation.jpg   How to headlight repair stype FAQ-parts.jpg   How to headlight repair stype FAQ-shopped-off.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
tmurray (06-27-2012)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Did i also mention ill fix headlights and polish to like new if you send them to me. Starting at $125ea plus shipping, x,s, and xj's. Never seen a broken xk

Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Brilliant. I have the same problem and will do this tonight!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 AM

I'll chip in for the expenses too!

Brutal; WE LOVE YOU MAN!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Default Re: Sagging Headlights

Hey Brutal:
I've seen conditions such as this in my travels especially with the SAAB 95'! Usually it's just 1 side that will go ****-eyed. What's going on when all of a sudden the Right drops down & the Left points left?
Do you advise this fix for this condition as well??

RSVP,
tbjcc001

Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
d33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically the idea is to have the screw go through the plastic and ping the assemble to the metal frame piece?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great thread. Why do the lights have the self leveling feature in the first place? I see no value in it.

Mine broke (headlights did not lift at all) and thankfully the extended warranty covered it. The cost was around $900 per headlight! Outrageous! Lately it seems my headlights are pointing a bit low. They lift and settle when I start the car but don't seem to point high enough.

Does this mean I need to do the procedure described here?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The self leveling feature is only on the HID lights. It is required in Europe to try and stop people from blinding on coming traffic. Jaguar had to install them, they had no choice it is the law. They are a small manufacturer so even though we don't have a law for this in the US. It was too expensive to have two different versions for such a low production car.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by reddrawf
This is a great thread. Why do the lights have the self leveling feature in the first place? I see no value in it.

Mine broke (headlights did not lift at all) and thankfully the extended warranty covered it. The cost was around $900 per headlight! Outrageous! Lately it seems my headlights are pointing a bit low. They lift and settle when I start the car but don't seem to point high enough.

Does this mean I need to do the procedure described here?
you need to manually adjust them on top off the housing. The electronic leveling IS required also in the US. This is so if you put 3 of you fat freinds in the nback seat and their luggage in the trunk. youre not going down the road with your light s pointing up into everyones eyes cause HIDs are WAY brighter and further reaching than halogens. The auto level still is usually operable even when broken, but its the upper pivot/adjuster that breaks so the motor to level has nothing to pivot the inner housing on. And Valeo makes the headlights for Jaguar which is a large supplier to alot of auto manufactures for lighting, CD's. nav etc....By putting a screw throught the front of the housing you give the housing something to pivot and adjust against again. And you now use that screw to level up/down by screwing in/out as required. The leveling should still operate unless 1), headlight leveling module needs to be recaled/programmed(dealer, and even sometimes you have to do after headlight replacement) or 2) your housing is totally broken inside. in which case the screw will fix your lights so they can be manually adjusted, but if an inspector for safty sticker checks the auto level cause your state is ****(Texas is not) then you may fail, or maybe you need to find a different inspection place!

DSt1 (07-21-2013)
Old 10-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

you need to manually adjust them on top off the housing. The electronic leveling IS required also in the US. This is so if you put 3 of you fat freinds in the nback seat and their luggage in the trunk. youre not going down the road with your light s pointing up into everyones eyes cause HIDs are WAY brighter and further reaching than halogens. The auto level still is usually operable even when broken, but its the upper pivot/adjuster that breaks so the motor to level has nothing to pivot the inner housing on. And Valeo makes the headlights for Jaguar which is a large supplier to alot of auto manufactures for lighting, CD's. nav etc....By putting a screw throught the front of the housing you give the housing something to pivot and adjust against again. And you now use that screw to level up/down by screwing in/out as required. The leveling should still operate unless 1), headlight leveling module needs to be recaled/programmed(dealer, and even sometimes you have to do after headlight replacement) or 2) your housing is totally broken inside. in which case the screw will fix your lights so they can be manually adjusted, but if an inspector for safty sticker checks the auto level cause your state is ****(Texas is not) then you may fail, or maybe you need to find a different inspection place!
nice repair cant wait to try it

Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

The electronic leveling IS required also in the US.

This is not true. I have a 2003 Lincoln LS with factory HID lights. They are fixed no automatic leveling?

Old 10-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

i had to do the screw on mine finally, thank goodness for this post though, it was fixed within seconds. Thanks everyone for the trick!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

you need to manually adjust them on top off the housing. The electronic leveling IS required also in the US. This is so if you put 3 of you fat friends in the back seat and their luggage in the trunk. !
LOL! "3 far friends" How id you know my friends are fat? LOL. Too funny.

But seriously, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me now.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a picture to help with adjusting the headlight aim. It's great we can repair these instead of a complete replacement!!!

Attached Thumbnails How to headlight repair stype FAQ-headlight-adjustment-s-type.jpg  
Simon.h (12-23-2012)

Quick Reply: How to headlight repair stype FAQ