Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lamps keep blowing out

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsatur

Note- If one burns out, the other will soon follow, because they are in parallel.
not true, not even close.............most of the time when these things happen it is because of voltage issues. My bet is if you measure the voltage down at the light, you will see a huge voltage drop. I would start by checking the battery connections and charging system, then inspecting the wiring and connectors going to the bulbs. These lights are not connected in parallel at all. they are individual circuits. If you say well they run off the same switching, that would be technically correct, but then everything that is DC in the car would be considered parallel then. Unless you want to get technical, they are not paralleled at all. Most aftermarket systems are though, not on these cars.

Last edited by phd12volt; 10-19-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

daniel, your missing the point. Simply replacing lights over and over again isn't getting to the solution. While it is true that "perhaps" the lights are touched, i would rather figure out the cause of the problem then simply state some rudimentary solutions. To the original poster: simply measure the voltage at the connector down at the fog lights with a multi-meter. And then reference that measurement to the battery voltage when running. I would bet money that you have a voltage issue, or perhaps some high resistance in-line somewhere. It may be a relay, or switch too, but getting to the ROOT CAUSE is more important than just simply replacing lights. While there may be some justification in what has been posted, posting incorrect information will do nothing than confuse individuals who don't know, and cause ones who do, to raise the BS flag. I've been working with vehicle electronics for over 20 years and have worked on advanced wiring processes and procedures in the OEM world, along with working on military aircraft. I play with wiring and resistance all day long, like i said earlier, knowing the ROOT CAUSE is the KEY to fixing the issues once and for all.

*notice the non-linking to some other site, as i speak from experience, not from what is typed on the internet*

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by danielsatur

Focus - 12VDCV ,switch,fuse,bulb,,and a ground, ''Thats it''
there you go again, you missing the whole point AGAIN.....there is way more to it than "that's it". Basic electronics training.......RESISTANCE in between any of your "thats it" will cause havoc......just because your switch might be new, the bulbs might be new, the relay might be new, does not mean the problem will go away. LEARN about the basic fundamentals before typing next time. Please give me a real world experience other than oil on the bulb. However it is possible that the original poster touches the bulb when inserting, i have given information as to other possibilities that you may have to troubleshoot. Once again, from the real world, not the internet world.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

i find it very hard to believe your a day trader with the spelling and grammatical errors you have in every post. Whats worse is i have to have my fancy-dancy "internet post decoder" handy when reading your posts.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Let's stay on topic and keep focused people.

I am also thinking, that if the bulbs have fried more than once...there's a very bad short somewhere. It can't be entirely from oils on bulbs...statistically, the OP would have installed at least one correctly.

I would check the fuse first...maybe previous owner put the wrong one in...allowing the bulbs to burn out instead of the fuse, but that doesn't solve the definitive short somewhere. Need to evaluate the wiring diagram to find a common power wire that would affect both bulbs, or modules.

Phd may be able to give you a place to start.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

I have a question... is the bulb a standard halogen or one of those cheap 'xenon' replacements?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

can we please wait till he answers first?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I had such hope.... Then it was dashed

PHD12Volt pointed it in the right direction. Since the dealer has changed the bulbs the last time I would ring them up. Ask them how much to check the systems out to see if there is a voltage or short issue.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Concur with everyone, except daniel...its not the bulbs, nor how they were handled during install, you've got to look farther up the electrical system.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Omega, keep us in the loop on your progress please.

Quick Reply: Fog lamps keep blowing out