X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdxguy
Alright! I have a fun addition to this thread! I have a 2005 X sport. I took it to the jag shop who diagnosed it for 5 hours come up with nothing more than replacing parts. It started with a check engine light, followed up with a gearbox fault. He said its definitley electrical. I cleaned the Throttle Body, had minor deposit, didn't fix it. I did have a aftermarket GPS installed but ran all power directly from the fuse box, no other connections to the car. The Jag Shop suggested I start by replacing the instrament cluster, followed by the ECU, TCM and Throttle Body, in that order. Does anyone have any other suggestions? It also has less only 50,000 miles.
Yeah, sell it..

Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here are the codes it's throwing! Any help?

Codes
1) P1638
2)P1642
3) P1796
4) P1797
5) P1000
6) P1796
7) P1797

Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jvegas
I just put up a post how i had the same issue. It was water getting on the TCM. besides the wind shield, where else have you seen the water come from? I can't figure out how or where mine in coming from...
Also where the e brake cable comes through the firewall, the water comes down the cable and drops on the TCM, do youself a favour. Take off the TCM, you have to get to it from under the kick panel on the drivers side. It's a brute. Then clean all the electrical connections with that spray stuff, then seal it in a baggy and hang it via zap straps as high as the wiring allows, end of problem.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Last week while traveling on the interstate on my way to work my X (144K miles on it) suddenly went into limp mode. This has happened before but only when it was raining. No rain on the day this happened. I suspected it would go away once I shut the car off, like it always did before. Not this time.

I took the car into my local Jaguar Landrover dealership and had them take a look. They immediately came out after reading the codes and told me what has been reported here by many posters: The codes being thrown made them believe that the TCM had been victim of water damage. So after some time they called me back when they had the TCM out(I wanted to take a look and possibly take pictures to post). The tech and I were both surprised to find there was no visible water damage on the TCM. He went on checking other connections. In the end they told me the codes were telling them that there was a fault with the TCM, something about a ground connection. I purchased a new TCM - $1030 with another $230 diagnostics labor. I think I owe another $200 for labor when I go to get the new TCM put in.

Glad it wasn't the transmission that was bad(knock on wood), but disappointed it wasn't as simple as wiping down the TCM as others have reported here.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by starvinmarvin08
Last week while traveling on the interstate on my way to work my X (144K miles on it) suddenly went into limp mode. This has happened before but only when it was raining. No rain on the day this happened. I suspected it would go away once I shut the car off, like it always did before. Not this time.

I took the car into my local Jaguar Landrover dealership and had them take a look. They immediately came out after reading the codes and told me what has been reported here by many posters: The codes being thrown made them believe that the TCM had been victim of water damage. So after some time they called me back when they had the TCM out(I wanted to take a look and possibly take pictures to post). The tech and I were both surprised to find there was no visible water damage on the TCM. He went on checking other connections. In the end they told me the codes were telling them that there was a fault with the TCM, something about a ground connection. I purchased a new TCM - $1030 with another $230 diagnostics labor. I think I owe another $200 for labor when I go to get the new TCM put in.

Glad it wasn't the transmission that was bad(knock on wood), but disappointed it wasn't as simple as wiping down the TCM as others have reported here.
Did they take apart the TCM? Did you get pictures?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by pdxguy
Did they take apart the TCM? Did you get pictures?

They opened it up and we both looked at it. It looked pristine. I did not take any pictures - I only wanted to take pictures if there was water damage.

I'm going back in today to get the new TCM put in. I will get the old one from them and take some pictures of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Recall

I believe that with as many of these issues as we are seeing on the forum there must be 1000's as many or more that go unreported. This gearbox fault issue with the TCM is systemic in this model vehicle and not just a case of one or two failures.

Whatever the root cause, be it water intrusion or failure-prone components manufactured by second tier suppliers, I argue that any vehicle that is prone to suddenly dropping into second gear while at highway speeds is inheritantly unsafe and should be subject to a recall. Please report your issues to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and maybe we can force Jaguar to actually take care of the problem they have created and not allow them to pretend it doesn't exist while they pass the cost of it on to us, the consumers.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ResqDiver
I believe that with as many of these issues as we are seeing on the forum there must be 1000's as many or more that go unreported. This gearbox fault issue with the TCM is systemic in this model vehicle and not just a case of one or two failures.

Whatever the root cause, be it water intrusion or failure-prone components manufactured by second tier suppliers, I argue that any vehicle that is prone to suddenly dropping into second gear while at highway speeds is inheritantly unsafe and should be subject to a recall. Please report your issues to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and maybe we can force Jaguar to actually take care of the problem they have created and not allow them to pretend it doesn't exist while they pass the cost of it on to us, the consumers.

Car drops into 4th gear not second when it goes into limp mode. Since Jaguar no longer makes an X type I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
Jaguar will blame it on second teir mfg or as in my case a replaced windshield. When mine was in the dealer trying to determine what the issue was the guy was perplexed and had only ever seen it twice, so likely is not as prevelant as you think.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 AM

TCM was not the issue for me it turns out. They replaced the TCM and that did not fix it. Transmission needs replaced. They took the new TCM out, refunded me the 1K, and quoted me 6200 for a new transmission. I went down the street, hopped into a Mazda and got $500 for the dead Jag. Thanks for all the help... great forum here!

zoom zoom

Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My '03 x-type automatic started making a gear whine after a highway ride. Took to dealer, found nothing. Finally "gear fault" at 10K miles. Transmisson replaced under new car warranty. Second transmisson same thing. Replaced at 12K miles. Dealer explained it was a nylon washer or bushing that wears out prematurely. Second Tranny had the same nylon piece. Third Transmission lasted until I traded in the car at 54K miles. Jack

Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey everyone,
Great threat we have going here. I was driving my 2003 X type today, in a very bad rain storm, and got the dreaded "Gearbox Fault." I will be removing my TCM and ECM, taking them apart, cleaning them, water proofing them, and reinstalling them; hopefully this fixes any problems. My question is, does anyone want me to video tape how you correctly do this? This isn't my first time waterproofing computers in vehicles and was wondering if anyone would like to see how to correctly do it??
Thanks,
Jim

Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

JIM,
I think that sounds like a great article for this forum. A good HOW TO pictorial would be great.

Last night it poured here in OKC and filled the streets as high as the curb. In my 07 I plowed through the right lane with walls of water reaching for the skys on both left and right side of vehicle, you could not see through the driver or passenger windows. It was FUN!!! I suppose by 07 they had fixed this issue. I love my X!!!

Reguards
JCF

Old 05-10-2013, 04:29 AM
Default Link to show location of TCM / ECM and how to waterproof them

Well guys here it is, I hope I don't get in trouble,

It will show you the location of the ECM and TCM. I explain how to clean them and how to waterproof them. I have done this same thing before on 3 jeeps, so I know it works, and works well. Have a great time everyone!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Justicejamesb:
Poglix (05-22-2013), poo72va (08-08-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM

anytime I've had that simply disconnecting the battery ground fixed it.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 AM

Does anyone know how to move this into the main forum?

Old 05-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did two auto car washes on Wednesday morning and 30 minutes later gearbox fault light showed, stuck in a gear etc. I will check for moisture. Is RHD vehicle got ECM on r side still? Should be obvious when I lift panel. I enjoyed the photos on Snapfish now to check. Paul

Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM

I think this my first post... Please be gentle and forgive me for my ignorance about the rules in this forum. No, I am not new to this forum. I have followed the forum religiously in the past 5 years since I bought this 2002 X-type. I ran into the problem with trans message and gearbox fault last week. Can not engage any gears. Just rev and once awhile it will engage and jerk the car violently. Anyway, towed the car back to the house, drained and refilled the trans fluid 3 times (first drained about 5.2 quarts, second drained 2 quarts, and last drained about 5.5 Q). The car is shifting better now in all gears. But, I notice going from N to D there is a delay in few seconds before the gear engage. If you shift from N to D and apply the gas right away, I notice some slippage and up to 3000 rpm before the gear will engage. Also, I felt the gear box grinding on the down shift and specially at stop (not all the time). Can anyone help to suggest anything else I could check? Thanks in advance.

PS --- I want to thanks to sooo many contributors on this board for their dedication and knowledge that have save me so much headache and money. Beside the trans flush, at the same time I have R&R the following (67631 miles):

for trans flush I used Gastrol - Transmax Import Multi-vehicle (12 quarts) Plus 12 oz Lucas Trans slip total cost was $92 at Advance.

Valve cover gasket $55, Intake upper $12 and lower $9, Throttle Body gasket $3, 2 gasket for Variable intake manifold sensor $8, Serpentine Belt $12, Spark plugs $22,
New hose between intake and valve cover $23 (new design).

Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Bought my x-type new in 2003. Had 3 trans/transfer cases in the first year. No drivabilty problems just warning on dash. Warranty covered this. Dealer explained nylon bushing in early units would wear and cause fault. For the next 6 years I would get an occasional slip going back to 1st gear while making a turn and slight whine after highway trip. Dealer explained this was normal. Bought 2007 in 2009 as certified used. None of the previous problems have showed up. Now out of warranty. Waitng for 2013 XF AWD as certified pre-owned. Keeping my fingers crossed. Extended warranty on 2007, $1,000 a year. Not going to spend that much hoping something goes wrong. Jack

Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM

Hi pppham,
I was wondering if you could get us the codes your car is storing? This will help us in troubleshooting, and sending you in the right direction.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Hi Justicejamesb, when I had this problem...Powertrain malfunction light illuminated.... then later the CEL light illuminated.... then Gearbox fault message... I have to turn off and on several time to get the car limp out of the highway. The only two codes that I have....
P0734 and P0735 ---- 4th and 5th gear ratio error! Hope this will help. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Gearbox Fault!