X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I only have 1 Remote/Key, can I program a second?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow If this works, I'll have beer for you all. I got only one key without operating remote in my cat and I can't understand where they have all other ones, but I asked local Jaguar here in finland extra key and they said price will be 650Euros with programming!!! Thats unarmed robbery to me.

That beer will be served here in my home island if... I let u know.

It did work like you said! This is really something, now I only got to get one or two extra keys... Like I said I owe you guys, if you ever visit in Finland, you can count on my help... or 1 beer

Last edited by blackcat; 01-12-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sorry i'm new here but I can't seem to see the pdf you guys put up, is that to do with my authority levels, because I'm trying to figure out similar issues with my new key for my x-type.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:30 AM
Default Here it was

1. Insert the key and turn to position I
2. Turn the key to position II and back to position I (quickly repeat four times) and you will hear a chime if it was done correctly.
3. Turn the key all the way back and take it out.
4. Now press any button on the key fobs to be added and you will hear another chime.
5. If you have a set of keys for step (4) you have to press any button on two or more fobs at the same time so they both have the same code or elses one will work and the other won't.

This worked with me, hopefully also with others...

Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 PM

I called my local Jag dealer and was told 350 for remote/key & 125 for programming.

I have only 1 key and see some mention of needing 2 to be able to program another.

What must be done when you have only 1 and need another.

I'm new to this forum and have tried to search but it's not clear.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read your post with interest. I live in Keizer, Oregon and called Monte Shelton and found out the same thing. If you don't mind, could you give me the craigs list contact who gave you the $180 quote to see if they can do my 2003 Stype for the same price. I need the key fob, key and programming, as well. My car only came with one. Thanks for you help.

Gary from Oregon- email me if you would like at garygelci@gmail.com or call me at 503 302 3626 (cell) I am very interested. Do they guarantee them to work? Hope to hear from you.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Programming the key fob is a piece of cake. I have done that on my key fobs with ease. I bought a new key from Ebay and managed to program the key fob buttons. I think programming the actual transponder in the key is more complicated. To program the chip in the key you need a key coder(computer). The dealer in my area said they cannot do it because they do not have a code or something. Now planning to go accross the border to do it.

Maybe I am wrong, any advice anyone?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pittsburgh Locksmith?

Does anyone know of a locksmith in the Pittsburgh area who can cut and program x-type keys?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Ok I've read the pdf explaining how to add new fob. Whats more I've followed it, had the bleeping noise, pressed on my existing key, and my new one, each time issuing another beep from the car.

The new key unlocks and locks the car, opens the boot, everything that the existing one does.

All seems fine right up the point where I put the new key in the ignition and turn it. It lights up the dash, but wont fire the engine.

The key is cut right, it opens the doors, locks them, but its just the firing the engine part that isnt working.

seriously, has anyone got the instructions in the pdf to work ?

does my issues sound like something any of you have experienced ?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM

I tried talking with a Locksmith (I think it was just someone at their office) and was told the is programming of the remote and a transponder in the key that must be active for the car to start (using just the key portion will not start the car)

I have a 2003 X-Type and now I'm confused.

I have a 3 series BMW (I know, I know) and was told something similar but found someone on the forums that help me program the FOB. I'm hoping this will be the case for this. I could sure use the extra money on something else...

Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by jonbugh
Well, Moore Jaguar here in Saint Louis quoted a hair over $500 for a new switchblade style key, cut and programmed! I told them to shove it and bought the new OEM key on eBay for $100 which also included a second free valet style key, just need to cut and program it now.

Jon
**** - they just told me $600 a few days ago! What a load!

I can echo back what everyone has already said about programming the FOB. It is easy as cake and works fine. My problem is how to get a second key - I only have one. I guess that's a +1 for the question of how we get that done for an X-Type if you've only got one key.... I'm just not feeling the $600 charge from Moore.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM

Well I went to the local Jag *********** and bought a duplicate key.

I had a coupon for 10% off and free programming ($125)

So the key (with remote) cost me $347.50

The coupon for the key (taken from their website a while back) did not have an expiration date and they were not happy about excepting it, but in the end the manager told them to just take it and get my key.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Default Rear speakers not working

I know this is off topic but does anyone know how to activate the Global up/down feature?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

By now, I'm sure everyone recognizes that programming a key and fob is a two step process. You have to program the key fob per the procedure described elsewhere in this thread. Also, if you have a newly cut key, you need to program the CPU to recognize the transponder signal from the new key; otherwise, the engine will not start. I found this after a quick search.....

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...the-second-one

At the bottom of this link, the following procedure is given for programming a third (new) transponder key when you already have TWO other working keys:

"First put the first key in and turn the ignition on for five seconds. Then do the same for the second good key and then put the third (non programmed key) in the ignition and turn to the ON position. This will program that key."

I've seen similar procedures for other Ford vehicles. Unfortunately, I didn't find any info on programming a new transponder key when you only have one working key available. Perhaps a Jag tech can weigh in.

Last edited by MarkC; 06-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Default Key programming

1. Put key in ignition.
2. Turn to position I.
3. Turn to position II and then back to I. You have to do this four times in total and do it quickly.
4. If you did this right, you will hear a chime.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Press any one of the four buttons on the key fob.

Your key is now ready. If you have more than one key, I am told that you should carry out step 6 at the same time on all fobs, but this does not work for me.

Shocking that main dealers try to charge so much for 1 minute's work. Knowledge is not just power. It's a fistful of dollars.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by FearTheLeaper
I've only done one remote at a time but according to the instructions I have you can program up to 4 remotes at one time. My 02 X-type also only came with one key but I have changed the remote about three times and have programmed it into the car with no problems using these instructions. The instructions came from a seller off eBay whom I've bought all my remotes from. Hope it helps. (see attachment)

Also the instructions state that it's for a 2002 X-Type. I'm not sure if all models use the same sequence, so keep that in mind if you decide to use it.
Apparently new members can't download attachments right away (a very helpful feature indeed!). May I ask someone to mail that pdf to me?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
By now, I'm sure everyone recognizes that programming a key and fob is a two step process. You have to program the key fob per the procedure described elsewhere in this thread. Also, if you have a newly cut key, you need to program the CPU to recognize the transponder signal from the new key; otherwise, the engine will not start. I found this after a quick search.....

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...the-second-one

At the bottom of this link, the following procedure is given for programming a third (new) transponder key when you already have TWO other working keys:

"First put the first key in and turn the ignition on for five seconds. Then do the same for the second good key and then put the third (non programmed key) in the ignition and turn to the ON position. This will program that key."

I've seen similar procedures for other Ford vehicles. Unfortunately, I didn't find any info on programming a new transponder key when you only have one working key available. Perhaps a Jag tech can weigh in.
Unfortunately, it looks like you will need two working keys in order to program others. So, if you only have one, I would bet you would need to pay the dealership a visit.

Here's the instruction for getting new keys programmed:

1. Start the car with known good key.

2. Shut off and remove as soon as it starts.

3. Put in next known good key and repeat followed by new key or two.

I understand that up to 4 keys may be programmed to a car.

Last edited by exrub; 09-27-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Like was eluded to above (by MarkC), there are 2 parts to the key that you put in your pocket. You have the keyfob which allows you to unlock/lock the doors and trunk. The other half is the part with the metal key. This is only good for communicating with the ECU and passing a code to let the computer know this is a good key. Each half has to be programmed independently. Unfortunately, without a special computer, if you only have 1 key, you are pretty much screwed. You will be forced to obtain assistance from an outside source (dealership or locksmith-granted, not all locksmiths have this ability). The requiring of 2 keys to program was due to earlier vehicles only requiring a single key to program a new key and what was happening was when people would drop their cars off to be valet parked, the lot attendent would have the key, make a duplicate, program it to the vehicle, look in the glove box for the address of the person, and then stop by at some later date, unlock the vehicle and drive away with no one being the wiser.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Wink Look on Ebay

Originally Posted by jonbugh
Thanks for the tip. I actually bought the extra switchblade key on eBay for $99 and they included an extra plain key (no remote) for free. I'm sure if I can find someone else that can cut and program it, it'll be much cheaper. I called the local Ford dealership and they can't do it, so it looks like I'm stuck going to the Jag dealer about 45 minutes away
Hey, I too have been locked out for three weeks. I found a new key @sales@keysfast.com for $59.00. There is a transponder programmer for sale on Ebay that will program your Jag key for $69.00. There are several of these remote transponder programmers on Ebay. You could save some$$$ and then, solve this problem for others! Good luck! Ben

Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 AM

Hey Jonbugh,
There are several key fab programming threads on here...Search for them and i am sure they will pretty much work for your new key fab...The threads say about the same as the one "feartheleaper" attached. And if your dealer still offers to cut the key for free, you are lucky!!! I say let them do it and you can program your FAB pretty easy. I am thinking about buying a new key off ebay and I will be programming it the same way. I just hope that cutting wont cost a fortune.

Quick Reply: I only have 1 Remote/Key, can I program a second?