X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My X-Type Build Thread: Revive a hibernating cat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Did you have stabilizer in the old fuel? That puts a 'coat' on top of the fuel so the air can't get at it and sour the stuff; a couple of years won't be too bad as long as you burn it off quick now.

Yes, DO change the oil, since it will absorb some water and changing it is cheap insurance.

I'd get my brake fluid tested, too, unless you are running synthetic. That stuff sucks back water like a guy with a hangover!

The following users liked this post:
Diavolo (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thank you!
I will change the oil and it did have fuel stabilizer.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 AM

Got the new wheels and tires on. Looks great.
I got to a get a pic of it up here soon.

Old wheels are up for sale on here and on CL:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...%24400-161632/

Since the battery had died again, I drove the car 100 miles tonight so the computer will have some memory for the emissions inspection tomorrow morning.
Then i can register it and actually drive it legally.
It drives like a dream, everything is still new and tight.
41,400 miles exactly on it now.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Post some pics of your car!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Nice jaguar you got there! I have a 2002 X-type and if you don't mind telling me where'd you get your front lower lip and rear bumper? Because I can't find them anywhere on Google

Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MannyJag
Hello! Nice jaguar you got there! I have a 2002 X-type and if you don't mind telling me where'd you get your front lower lip and rear bumper? Because I can't find them anywhere on Google
they're a rare OEM part, when those became damaged I bought replicas from Arden.de because even though the car was only 5 years old when the damage happened it was already difficult to source the OEM part.

I just looked on Ardens website to link you, but the part is no longer there. they probably don't make it anymore.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Post some pics of your car!
I will soon.
I got the registration in the mail yesterday.
it's legal on the street now

Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Diavolo
I got the registration in the mail yesterday.
it's legal on the street now
Nice one buddy, just read ur progress report, nice work and plenty of pics, pics always make a progress report go from good to brilliant (thumbs)

Old 05-11-2016, 06:01 PM

Would you consider selling your stock grille both upper and lower?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 PM

I want to get the front and rear lips installed and painted before I post anymore pics.
Then the car will be done
I still havent been driving the car yet.
Maybe I'll take to work sometime next week.

MannyJag,
I don't want to sell any of the stock parts.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wrong coast for me but if you are open to trading up on an SRT-6
Crossfire with a top that drops we should talk. That was just the car I was looking for before I found my S-Type.

This thing is way too fast for me or, maybe, I am just too slow for it.

Beautiful cars we have.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:21 AM

WOW! i know this thread is 4 years old since last reply, but making an update anyways.
my jag is back to basically sitting in the garage. Its registered non-op again, just because i havent been driving it much and to register again this year it needed a smog, and with the pandemic i figured just easier to register non op. I'll smog it and put it back road legal soon.

All the mechanical and stuff I was working on is great and has been. It still has less than 50k miles and runs as good as new.
I never did fit the front or rear lip. Thinking about just buying a stock normal rear valance.

It has new wheels and tires on it theyre a lot better looking.

I would sell it if anyone is interested.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question Diavolo

Can you tell me where u got the oval exhaust tips please ? And if ur interested in maybe selling yours Thx

Last edited by NYCJAG2006; 07-20-2020 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Name spelled wrong
Old 02-09-2021, 08:19 PM

Alright, I'm bumping this thread again.
My X-type is for sale. The whole thing. Im not selling any pieces off it.
Same condition: as good as new! about 46k miles.
needs nothing but the lip kit put on, or just put a non-sport black piece on the bottom of the rear bumper for $100 and be done with it.

It doesnt have those gray color rims on it, it has some nicer ones and new tires.
TSW Silverstone 18"

Old 02-09-2021, 10:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Interested!

CEL or or P1000 code?

46K original miles! VIN please so that I can authenticate ownership/mileage/smog check history thru the California DMV website.

Last edited by BlownKitty; 02-09-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by BlownKitty
Interested!

CEL or or P1000 code?

46K original miles! VIN please so that I can authenticate ownership/mileage/smog check history thru the California DMV website.
Yeah its somewhere in the neighborhood of 46k original miles. Definitely below 50k. The car is stored in a family members garage so I cant check the exact mileage right now.
The fact that its buried in someone else's garage miles away is the reason i never get around to just driving it. Also I hate the way it looks without the rear lip. Almost embarrassing.
I know I havent driven it in at least a year,... maybe two? three!? I dont know why time seems to move so fast around this car and it stays still. I swear the thing is a time capsule and it even has some new car smell left to it.

I can authenticate the ownership for you, i own it! :P haha I bought it in 2006 and i've owned it ever since. It had just under 6k miles on it when i got it, I should be considered the 2nd owner, and it was some sort of demo / free vehicle for a year thing for the first year of its life. Thats what the Jag dealership told me when i got it, it was probably one of their managers riding around in. When it was still under warranty around 23k miles the traction control light came on, and tada! it got a new tranny. so good that has already been fixed since that was the only bad thing about the 2005 model year. Brakes tires rims are new.

Clean title in my name. It had one small collision about a decade ago when someone scraped the back bumper cover and that was replaced. not a rear end, i was in a parking spot about to back out and they came from right to left and hit my bumper, low speed, only paint damage to the bumper cover. it was their fault. the only other damage was me cracking the back lip and front lip. which there will be no official reports of.

It needed to be smogged last summer, but since the pandemic hit, I didnt bother to get it out of the garage and go smog it. Its currently registered non-op.
I'm sure the battery is dead too. Which means i got to ride it around for 100 miles with 2020 tags on it to get all the sensors ready for smog test.
I'll go by where its at tomorrow and dig it out of the garage. It won't have any check engine light. The thing is mint.
If the weather is good i'll change the oil, put some miles on it and take it to smog and get current tags.

After posting about selling the thing just hours ago, I also contacted a body shop about doing paintwork and fitting the lips. I'll likely hear back from them in the next couple days.
BUUUUUUT then on a whim I found a factory replacement lip for the rear! it wasn't cheap but so damn hard to find. Looks to be in good shape and is the same color! I can bolt it on myself so I bought it right away. The front lip will still need fitment and body shop work.

While I was in a spending mood, I decided to get a new head unit for it, so I picked up a double din stereo that can also play DVDs / CDs. haha keep it old school! but also has blue tooth USB SD Aux all that stuff . I got the dash kit, and a harness, install should be easy. I dont even remember how I hooked the sub woofers up to the stock deck.

Finding the factory rear lip just now was a game changer, I hope it all arrives soon and is as good as it looks. Even without the front lip the car will still look great, a new head unit is a welcomed update, and then if all it needs is an oil change and a smog thats easy work to get it back on the road.
I'll probably spring for the front lip to be done, just so the car will be better than 100% for the first time in just over a decade. If everything works out like it should I can't imagine why it wouldnt be perfect, and smogged and ready to go in a month or two.

Now, the thing is, I don't really need the vehicle and I havent missed having it in the last 10 years. It will be super cool, but its just an old Jag. Granted it will hypothetically be a perfect one, with some hard to find upgraded cosmetic parts inside and out, some beautiful wheels, and killer stereo, less than 50k on the clock. Theres not another one like it.

Because of the market for these cars, what sadly insulting low price will this thing be worth?
If you're really interested in it, that would be great. I kind of like that you live out of state, because then theres no chance I'll see you riding around in it and be sad and regret selling it haha.

Last edited by Diavolo; 02-10-2021 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Well count me out.

We just switched our auto insurance (AAA) on our two X-Types from San Antonio to Las Vegas and are now paying $2400.00 a year (over 3x the amount that we were paying for the exact same cvg in Texas!).

Best of luck in finding a new owner for her. as she really is a gorgeous example of an X-Type.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by BlownKitty
Well count me out.

We just switched our auto insurance (AAA) on our two X-Types from San Antonio to Las Vegas and are now paying $2400.00 a year (over 3x the amount that we were paying for the exact same cvg in Texas!).

Best of luck in finding a new owner for her. as she really is a gorgeous example of an X-Type.
Thanks, it is a beautiful car. I got her out of the garage today, unsuccessful in charging the battery and getting her running. I'm just going to buy a new battery tomorrow.
Aired up the tires though! They werent bad. Hope theyre not flat spotted from sitting.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:16 PM

Put a new battery in it today. started right up, and purred like a kitten.
drove about 20 miles. its got 46,5xx on it now. fuel in it was still good. tires arent flat spotted.

unfortunately the guy who had the rear bumper listed that i bought, told me he couldnt find it and wants to refund me.
so sad now

Last edited by Diavolo; 02-11-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved reading about your project! This summer, over Labor Day weekend, my son and I flew out to Yuma, AZ and bought a one-owner 2004 X-Type with 18" Aruba wheels and just 39,000 miles for $6,000. My son had just received his driver's license a month earlier so I let him drive the two of us back to Minnesota - 1700 miles through the desert, in and out of the Grand Canyon, and over the Rocky Mountains. We had a blast! If your price happens to be in that ridiculous range, please PM me, as I'd happily fly out and drive yours home too. All the best, Mike

Quick Reply: My X-Type Build Thread: Revive a hibernating cat.