Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Cuts Out

HI All

When i'm out driving my x-type I have noticed on a few occasions that when I go over the hump or a ditch or when I give the car some stick, it cuts out.
The Dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree and the engine cuts out.
This happens for a few seconds and I then have to start the car to carry on.
This has happened a few times while on the Motorway which is not good.

Does anyone have any idea's of wheat could be causing this.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Shahid,

You will be required to go to the New Members Forum and welcome to the site.

You might help yourself by adding your model/details and vehicle spec to your signature and members will be able to relate to your issue.

Hang in there, this site is great and the members make it what it is, INVALUABLE!!!

You will be sorted soon, Regards, Stu and ps, hope to see your babe soon?

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 04-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

shahid, based on what you are describing, the car is loosing power to the computers during the bump and that is causing all of them to reboot (which is why you are getting the lights). now, getting the engine light and the battery light would be normal if the car was turned off. If you are getting more lights, then this is telling me that the computers are doing their initial checks like you were starting the car.

As for what is causing what you are seeing, the list is pretty long. In short, you have to look at the wiring for the car. Odds are, you are looking at either a bad ground cable coming off of the battery or a bad positive battery cable. If you know a spot where the car always does what you are saying, you can try taking a jumper cable and carefully putting it inside the engine bay (you will only be using one cable, not both) with one end connected to the ground post of the battery and the other end attached to the block of the motor. Make sure the wires and whatnot are tied out of the way so they don't get trapped inside something and cause other damage. From there, hit the bumps and if the car does not turn off, then you know you have a bad ground wire. If it still cuts out, then your ground wire most likely is not a problem and now you have to look at either the positive battery cable or you are now starting to dive into the fuse boxes and deal with much smaller wiring.

I guess another question that I have is if you are driving down the road with say the radio on, does this also cut out when the car dies or does it continue on like nothing happened? This might help narrow down where the fault lies.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Digging up an old post, found a culprit, and thermo has some solid tips as always.

My car also would do this on occasion during a nice bump or hard corner and bump.
The issue was my positive battery cable(2002 3.0).
One of them runs under and behind the battery box.
Factory cable clip was still intact there, but the underside of the wire next to it had rubbed on the top of a bolt that comes thru the body.
The spot is right under the rear rod for the battery tie down.
So seems to be a time and gravity issue.