XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

We we didn't buy a Jaguar XE

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

That is a very nice list of cars. Very diverse though. Looks like you were not looking for a small fast sedan like me. You just wanted the car that would "click on right buttons".

Both Jaguar and Alfa have new money flowing in. They should offer nice portfolio in a year or two. My only issue is newer generation engines. It is becoming harder and harder to find an engine with a character.

You would not face that issue with Aston Martin though.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
That is a very nice list of cars. Very diverse though. Looks like you were not looking for a small fast sedan like me. You just wanted the car that would "click on right buttons".
Exactly. I go by looks first, purpose 2nd. I work from home, so I hardly drive as it is. I wash both our cars once a week and I want something that is also fun to wash and well put together.

Alfa Stelvio or Jaguar F Pace as our S60 replacement? Some nice cars coming on the market and Jaguar beat FCA to punch in both the SUV and mid size sports sedan. Sergio was too slow to execute.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
You are right, I agree with your points about engineering. For me, it is just the way car drives.

I also like to think that I support an "underdog" brand with my purchase. I am tired of BMW, Audi, MB. We need more brands (Jaguar, Alfa Romeo) and more competition which benefits everyone.

As for the trims. Jaguar offers R-Sport which is the top of the line in the US. That would probably compare to S trim in Europe, no?
With regard the comparison between the US R-Sport and UK S levels of trim, no they are different. In terms of the materials used, the look and feel of the cabin the US R-Sport is no different to the UK R-Sport. In the US you do get things included in the price that are chargeable extras on the R-Sport here, e.g. electric 10x10 seats, but that is a different thing.

I can't speak for the S (which has Alcantra seats), but with the the Portfolio trim I get Windsor leather seats with herringbone pattern perforations with a better blend of colours for the entire interior. It may not sound much but it does make a big difference to the perception of the inside of the car. Or at least it did to me. The point I was making in my previous post was that maybe it would have the same effect on those who are not taken by the R-Sport interior.

I do wonder why JLR don't ship Portfolio and S trim cars to the US. The S trim is shipped to Mexico, apparently, although maybe that is just to **** Trump off.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stever_51

I do wonder why JLR don't ship Portfolio and S trim cars to the US. The S trim is shipped to Mexico, apparently, although maybe that is just to **** Trump off.
Mexico gets better/cooler cars than the US and has for many years.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Mexico gets better/cooler cars than the US and has for many years.
So Trump is off the hook then. Just a shot in the dark.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Might it be because of US emissions regulations? Are they stricter than Mexico's?

Old 11-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I am a big fan of the XE. looks like a fantastic car for the money. don't think "entry level luxo" car but instead...mid sized sports sedan. has a fantastic chassis so I am told.

I am looking to add a 4 door sport sedan early next year and have been holding out for the alfa romeo giulia QF. I hope it really arrives as they have been promising. I will not wait too much longer however.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by booklaw1
Might it be because of US emissions regulations? Are they stricter than Mexico's?
Less strict and have been selling marques like Alfa and Renault for some time while we did not get them...

Old 11-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought Alfa and Renault left the US because of insufficient demand...

Old 11-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I was in a rush to buy a car, so the Alfa wasn't going to happen in time. I had a trade-in that made it more complicated. Now that the XE is leased, the next car I will have a lot more flexibility. I really like an '05+ Arnage... That or an Aston may be my next car unless Jaguar or Alfa really have something inspiring. Depends what we replace my better half's car with as well. Her S60 lease ends next January...
How would you rate the S60 seat comfort compared to the XE R sport for long drives?

Last edited by anoop; 11-18-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anoop
How would you rate the S60 seat comfort compared to the XE R sport for long drives?
XE seats are more comfortable for sure. A little harder, but in a good way. Most comfortable Jaguar seat I have owned to date. Volvo seats are comfy FWIW; not knocking them either.

The following users liked this post:
anoop (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I thought Alfa and Renault left the US because of insufficient demand...
Stayed in Mexico

Old 11-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
My wife is in the market for a new car and she is head over heels for my XK. Her criteria is: Less than 40K, four doors, a spacious trunk, some decent engine power and good looks.
What about.... 2016 C-Class, or Lexus IS? Both have much much nicer interiors than any modern Jaguar (other than XJ).

Modern Jaguars have the look that kills, until you open the door...

That's why I'm keeping my leather-and-wood XJ8 indefinitely.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:27 AM

I drove C300 Sport the other day. That I4 2.0L Turbo should be one of the most uninspiring, lazy engine I've ever driven.

If you go for C class, make sure its C450 or C43 AMG.

I would say new Audi A4 is a good contender. Amazing interior, great tech, relatively good engine (I4 does 5.8sec 0.60) and minimalistic look.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:01 PM

I'm starting to wonder how long gas cars will be around. If the Bolt is any indication, the majority of new car purchases could be electric some time within the next 10 years, probably at close to 10 years. Once we have cars with a 300 mile range, sales of gas cars will significantly slow down. I expect we will see that range in the next 2-3 years. Then another 2-3 years to bring costs down.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by anoop
I'm starting to wonder how long gas cars will be around. If the Bolt is any indication, the majority of new car purchases could be electric some time within the next 10 years, probably at close to 10 years. Once we have cars with a 300 mile range, sales of gas cars will significantly slow down. I expect we will see that range in the next 2-3 years. Then another 2-3 years to bring costs down.
I agree with you. I will hold onto my gas guzzling internal combustion beauties for as long as I am able. expect a huge tax in the future when attempting to register such

Old 11-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Sorry but I still think electric cars are a fad, like vinyl. Hybrids are more practical. I love taking long road trips, so electric cars would never work for me.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Sorry but I still think electric cars are a fad, like vinyl. Hybrids are more practical. I love taking long road trips, so electric cars would never work for me.
Never say never. In a few years, large cities like SF and NYC may very well ban gas/diesel engine cars in certain areas. Then if you want to drive to the city, you will need one.

Also, maybe it takes more than 10 years, IDK, but if you have a car that can run 300-400 miles on a charge and can charge to 80% within 10 min or less at a "service station", what is the problem? It's not much different than the gas/diesel. If one is only driving around town, one may never need to go to a service station.

I used to be skeptic, but after reading about the Bolt, I think I am now a believer that this technology is ready for mainstream.

Hybrids bring the worst of both -- they're heavier than their gas counterparts and they require both mechanical maintenance (oil changes) and expensive batteries and charging gear (for plugin hybrid). They may be great for the transition, but I'd rather have pure gas or pure electric.

http://gizmodo.com/you-might-not-abl...y-a-1780468580

Last edited by anoop; 11-19-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:14 PM

It is all politics. The oil business is so big, it will take much more than 10 years to go electric.

Look at top 20 largest corporations in the world. Several are oil and petroleum products. They have several times more lobbyists that electric/solar technology.

Jaguar will be offering new EV in 2018. That would be very interesting. I would not mind XE having a nice torquey electric motor along with V6.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:28 PM

0-60 in 4 seconds. Not too shabby.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/...-la-motor-show

New Jaguar I-Pace set to get SVR treatment | Auto Express

Last edited by stever_51; 11-19-2016 at 06:31 PM.