XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by BCJAG
According to Jaguar my 2016 XF AWD Prestige with LED lights does not/not have little fans to keep them cool because they have them engineered to stay cool now. So far no noise but I have only had it one week. Great lighting.
AL
That's what I thought except some say although the lights themselves are cooler...and LEDs are...the power system (transformers?) gets hot. I don't know. I'm surprised you can't hear anything because it's very obvious even with my poor hearing. Not saying it's a problem, just curious. Next time you turn off the car and exit put your ear near either headlight assembly or the front grill for stereo. It will even start if you just touch the door handle with or without the key in your pocket. Yes, great lighting.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "noise" is real! Took my XF into Tampa Jag and they gave me another XF while they tried to figure out what's happening. Some mechanics heard it, some did not (shop noise I suspect was a factor). Those who heard it could not explain it. They send an inquiry to JAGUSA and JAGUK but there were no other reports. The fun part, tho, was the XF loaner also had the "noise." Oh well, at least it is documented with them in case of future issues. Suggest others who can hear it also document it with their dealership.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I returned from a longish trip yesterday and pulled into the garage and stopped the engine we could here a clearly audible sound for about 15 seconds. I wonder if it is the engine cooling fan which sometimes runs. A lot of cars have those thermostatic fans. Just wondering...
AL

Old 10-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

... I wonder if it is the engine cooling fan which sometimes runs....L
Not that loud. Also, when I popped the hood to investigate the engine fan was stationary.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Yes, things happen when the door handle is grabbed. Yes, the LED headlamps have cooling fans that are fired up before the car is started.

Temperature Management
In contrast to Halogen or Xenon headlamp systems, LEDs emit 'cold' light, meaning that
no infrared radiation is being produced. Due to their high efficiency 20% of the input
energy is transformed into visible light (for comparison a filament bulb only transforms
5%). The rest of the energy generates heat within the semiconductor chip.
Luminous flux, colour and forward voltage are dependant on the temperature. If the
allowed temperature is exceeded, the lifetime of the LED will be adversely affected, or in
a worst case scenario, will be destroyed. To protect the semiconductor chip, which is the
hottest component in the headlamp, cooling elements with a controlled air transportation
system have been developed. A small fan, controlled by the headlamp control module, is
built into the headlamp assembly to address this issue.
The systematic direction of the warm air to the bezel of the headlamp, is simultaneously
used for de-icing and de-condensation.

What happens, and when varies between models and equipment levels. Grabbing the door handle starts the LED fans, opening the door energizes the fuel pump relay to power up the Fuel Pump Driver Module. There are other examples, but you get the idea.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Magnumforc (06-27-2023), mleskovar (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Yes, things happen when the door handle is grabbed. Yes, the LED headlamps have cooling fans that are fired up before the car is started.

Temperature Management
In contrast to Halogen or Xenon headlamp systems, LEDs emit 'cold' light, meaning that
no infrared radiation is being produced. Due to their high efficiency 20% of the input
energy is transformed into visible light (for comparison a filament bulb only transforms
Luminous flux, colour and forward voltage are dependant on the temperature. If the
allowed temperature is exceeded, the lifetime of the LED will be adversely affected, or in
a worst case scenario, will be destroyed. To protect the semiconductor chip, which is the
hottest component in the headlamp, cooling elements with a controlled air transportation
system have been developed. A small fan, controlled by the headlamp control module, is
The systematic direction of the warm air to the bezel of the headlamp, is simultaneously

What happens, and when varies between models and equipment levels. Grabbing the door handle starts the LED fans, opening the door energizes the fuel pump relay to power up the Fuel Pump Driver Module. There are other examples, but you get the idea.

Cheers,
Here is brief car maintenance report. "Found vibration is from the headlight assembly cooling fan and is normal operation".
But THIS was a surprise. Read on.
RECALL. K434 MIL LAMP ILLUMINATED PO25C-11 DTC.
Recall issued. Performed recall. Updated PCM software
So we weren't aware of any "recall"? Only found it out due to bringing car in. (Yes. Car still wakes up) Thank u all for input. It's greatly appreciated and YES it did help. Cheers!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy

Temperature Management

And I can quote from Jaguar publicity:"
ewsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-gb/jaguar/news/2015/.../jag_all_new_xf_010415/

The Jaguar XF is true to the great tradition of sporting Jaguar saloons while ... So efficient are they that, unlike first-generation designs, cooling fans are not needed. ... The all-new XF range will consist of: XF Prestige, XF R-Sport, XF Portfolio, XF S. .... At the rear, the LED tail lights feature the signatureJaguar graphic

Cheers,

It may be you are referring to your XJR and NOT the XF which I repeat, according to my dealer does NOT have LED lights cooling fans on the 2016 model I have. I will recheck with the dealer when I return from my current trip.

And I can quote from Jaguar publicity:"
ewsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-gb/jaguar/news/2015/.../jag_all_new_xf_010415/

The Jaguar XF is true to the great tradition of sporting Jaguar saloons while ... So efficient are they that, unlike first-generation designs, cooling fans are not needed. ... The all-new XF range will consist of: XF Prestige, XF R-Sport, XF Portfolio, XF S. .... At the rear, the LED tail lights feature the signatureJaguar graphic

Cheers,[/QUOTE]
AL

Last edited by BCJAG; 10-17-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is more than anyone wants or needs to know but it explains some of the issues with cooling LED's. I still believe the LED's in the XF are fan cooled or some leprechaun is inside each assembly enjoying a breeze from his personal miniature fan...

Frankly, dealers don't have all the facts about the XF. Ask them how they remove the oil from your engine at oil changes...through the pan or sucking it out with a tube from under the hood. I was amazed that the dealer did not know how it works on the Land Rovers so would imagine they are daft on lots of other issues with a new model vehicle.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cr...Management.pdf

Last edited by Magnumforc; 10-17-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:44 PM

I noticed same noise with approx 10-15 min cut off.
I don't know but I think it's normal as a part of startup or initializing some function prior real engine start. As you see many owners have same issue.
I am not upset with this.
My xf 2018 model 3.0 S(petrol)

Old 05-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Just found this in another forum: LED headlights get scortchingly hot, so first generation LEDs have a fan mounted on the rear of the bulb to cool them.
It's surprising to me that LED headlights get so hot. Aren't LEDs supposed to be super-efficient and turn nearly all of the electrical input energy into light and not heat - in contrast to the old incandescent and halogen bulbs? If LEDs get so hot a significant amount of input energy must be wasted as heat.

The following users liked this post:
12306Jaguar (05-15-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 05:52 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjp
It's surprising to me that LED headlights get so hot. Aren't LEDs supposed to be super-efficient and turn nearly all of the electrical input energy into light and not heat - in contrast to the old incandescent and halogen bulbs? If LEDs get so hot a significant amount of input energy must be wasted as heat.
See post #27 above.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:40 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, I noted that response only after I had posted mine! So it does seem that, though LEDs are indeed more efficient than incandescent and halogen bulbs, they are not THAT much more efficient, and still waste much more energy than they actually use to make light.
I do wonder therefore about the "green" advice to replace domestic light bulbs with LEDs. These are much more expensive that the old, very cheap, incandescent ones and my experience is the LEDs do not last anywhere near as long as is claimed. So the energy savings may not compensate for the extra expense of buying them.
It'll be interesting to see now long LED bulbs in cars actually last - in particular LED headlights, which by all accounts are VERY expensive to replace.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

LED HEADLAMP

ITEM DESCRIPTION 1 Headlamp mounting bracket 2 LED High Beam Module 3 LED Low Beam Module 4 Bezel 5 Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) and turn signal indicator 6 Electrical connector 7 AdjustersThe LED headlamp has a low and high beam unit. Vertical movement is controlled by an actuator, operated by the BCM/GWM for automatic headlamp Leveling.

The LED headlamp is a self contained unit located within the headlamp assembly.

The cooling of the LED control unit allows the warm air to be used for de-icing and demisting the lens of the headlight unit. The cooling of the control unit ensures long life of the LED headlight unit.

The greatest advantage offered by white LEDs lies in the colour of their light, which is also known as the colour temperature. Reaching approximately 6,000° Kelvin the intensity of their light is just about the same as the quality of daylight. When referring to light, Kelvin is a unit of color temperature.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:22 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Bobsupra
The "noise" is real! Took my XF into Tampa Jag and they gave me another XF while they tried to figure out what's happening. Some mechanics heard it, some did not (shop noise I suspect was a factor). Those who heard it could not explain it. They send an inquiry to JAGUSA and JAGUK but there were no other reports. The fun part, tho, was the XF loaner also had the "noise." Oh well, at least it is documented with them in case of future issues. Suggest others who can hear it also document it with their dealership.
Answer: My Jag xf 2016 has 61,000 Kms and has been doing that sound since I got it. Its normal. If I touch (no key on me) the door handle, if I touch the car, any where, the sound will start and stay on for meybe 10 minutes.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

According to Jaguar my 2016 XF AWD Prestige with LED lights does not/not have little fans to keep them cool because they have them engineered to stay cool now. So far no noise but I have only had it one week. Great lighting.
AL
My 2016 XF-S does have cooling fans in the Premium LED headlights and you can clearly hear them on each side. Dealer has no clue.