XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone extremely happy with their car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
I will send you those today. And sorry, I didn't realize you are located in Singapore and my comments may not be completely accurate in regards to the voice recognition. However, Jaguar shouldn't advertise what they can't deliver.
Thanks again.

I agree Jaguar should not advertise what they cant deliver and furthermore advertise as a "Standard Feature" in its brochure somemore.......sign........ this already constitute is a misrepresentation....

Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Default Daytime Running Light

I have actually wrote to my dealer in Singapore on the DRL Issue. Below is their response, I almost fall off my chair . Below are the exact words but i have delete of the names.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Hi,

We just did one new car delivery that by accident program the DRL enabled. I saw the low bean and the LED was on. However, I will confirm with our technical manager and revert.

Thanks1

Jaguar and Land Rover

__________________________________________________ _______________

Hi,

As spoken previously, is there anyway I can leave the LED light permanently switch on without switching on the low beam.

I certainly would like to have LED light to be on when I put the car on "auto" light mode. I understand from the web, that in Canada, they need to have DRL on all the time and they seem to be able to switch on the LED without tuning on the Low beam. Please check and advise.

Regards,

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lamps, LED strip, custom hack

I have done a lot of asking and consulted the electrical workshop manual for the car including the programming part. As you know all the lights are controlled through a module and software. No hard switches.

Currently the software does not allow programming to have LED strip only on. It's either DLR on for cars in those markets, but that means headlights alltogether or nothing at all.

I know we all are looking at the Audi like look here. And yes there is a solution. It works great but PLEASE proceed at your own risk.

At the wire harness going into headlight unit you can cut the wire feeding the LED strip. I believe it was yellow/something. (Forgot, was a while ago). Run a wire from a power on at ignition from the fuse box in the passenger side of engine compartment. Attach a 0.3 amp resitor type balast to the original output from wireharness making control module think, LED still there and on.

THIS IS NOT FOR THE AVERAGE DIY Jaguar Owner or the faint of hart!!!! I am intentionally not writing more detail. The experts already understand what I did and know how to put their own ballast together ect.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!! IF YOU BLOW A CONTROL MODULE IT WILL COST YOU BIG TIME!!! This info is just for the ones who MUST have those lights.

FYI, the LED in the XJ is NOT high intesity like in the Audi and therefore may not be in compliance with the code in countries requiring DLR.

You can get workshop manual at the Jaguar Topix Website. It's posted here somewhere.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Angry I've had it

I really like this car when it's working right but after today I think I may get rid of it first there was the gasoline leak and the unattached tie rod ,then the stereo,blue tooth nave etc die I guess wee all know the problem have the softwAre update done happy dais right? Well today I'm going to pick up my friend to pick up my other super car with quirks a maserati spyder. I stopick him up get back in the car no music from satellite erg radio downloaded cd's dead silence they're playing just nothing is coming out the speakers we're2blocks from alpine jag in lauderdale a tech comes out and says yes they're aware of the problem and are working on it(this is the second time it's happened to me. He says the only solution they've found is to turn off the car and let the electrical activity die downi say this is a he'll of a solution for any car and especially for one this expensive he agrees and says there's nothing they can do so as I usually do when a car misbehaves I take it personall, So off I go car shopping I was sorta interested in the new Porsche sedan but the maserati mechanic says they have a tendency to explode so I think what cars am I always looking at,thinking that's my next car very few the Lexus sc 430 but they're discontinuedI'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and see if he's got a left over or can find me a used one the car I decided was really hot was the Nissan z always liked them wife keeps saying but that will give you 2 2 seaters and since we're in our 60,s and not expecting twins a lli need is a 2 seater wife has a rogue daughter a Lexus I'm really leaning to the black mnissian vert he gave me a,very good price I'd rather keep the jag but how can you keep a car that could of blown up and they can't even get the radio to play so by tomorrow I 'll go out and look the Audi has a nice z4 seater vert but i still want the blacks vert but if I could I'd keep the jag.butvwhats next an electrical fire sudden acceleration bad tires i',,
Iii see in the am

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM

Holy Cow!! I mean, this sounds yet the worst out there. No fun. Low VIN number? At least you are realistic about the Maseratti and those exotics. But your Jaguar should fall under any states lemon law.
Porsche Panamera (sedan) exploding? I never heard of that one. I owed 3 Porsches in the past and all of them had been extremely reliable. But who knows......
Sounds like you got enough play time on your hands though.... have fun shopping.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Shouldn't you find an unattached tie rod on a good dealer prep? A lot of this to me just seems like very bad dealer knowledge about a very technical car. And as far as technical go I don't actually think the car is more technical then a S class or CL class just because it has a TFT screen. My mechanic who just worked on my Lin Navi just bought an S class armored(don't ask me why) and it has way more bells and whistle than our Jag. I just think Mercedes Mechanic are better trained and are use to working with highly technical cars.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Shouldn't you find an unattached tie rod on a good dealer prep? A lot of this to me just seems like very bad dealer knowledge about a very technical car. And as far as technical go I don't actually think the car is more technical then a S class or CL class just because it has a TFT screen. My mechanic who just worked on my Lin Navi just bought an S class armored(don't ask me why) and it has way more bells and whistle than our Jag. I just think Mercedes Mechanic are better trained and are use to working with highly technical cars.
Yep, more dealer incompetance. Jaguar really needs to address this or it will cost them business and reputation.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Angry Don't have to take it any more

Ok solved al the problems loved the car but couldn't rely on it working properly all the time so with heavy heart got rid of it traded it for a Lexus sc430 which was not easy to find

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mozart
Ok solved al the problems loved the car but couldn't rely on it working properly all the time so with heavy heart got rid of it traded it for a Lexus sc430 which was not easy to find
So yesterday you posted about your bad Jag experience and today you're already Jag-free and with a Lexi? I don't think that was a hard to find car... BTW I am a Lexus owner too (LS460) and I've been lurking here for a while to see if I pull the trigger on a new XJ-L.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Yep, more dealer incompetance. Jaguar really needs to address this or it will cost them business and reputation.
They better yank some of those dealers back. Not easy to do with an already thin dealer network, but better then completely having their reputation wrecked. And no, the car is NOT more technically involved as a Mercedes S or BMW 7. The opposite is true.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They better yank some of those dealers back. Not easy to do with an already thin dealer network, but better then completely having their reputation wrecked. And no, the car is NOT more technically involved as a Mercedes S or BMW 7. The opposite is true.
All they need to do is train them properly. TATA checks should also go to training programs at the PR end, i.e. dealers. Times have changed, people are not putting up with poor service anymore. At least for me, when I am writing a check for $80k or more, I will demand good service AFTER the sale, which is the most important phase for customer retention. Some brands out there already know how to do this. The vast majority still have a lot to learn.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Even after theta updated the software or whatever they did went out one day stopped the car got out comeback no stereo that included xm am fm downloaded cd'c etc it said it was playing but nothing came out of the speakers,turned off the car it came back on.about a week ago same problem but I was a block from the dealer pulled in he said yeah jag was aware of the problem but had no solution yet ,he suggested turning the car off for 20 minutes worked I said you're kidding nope he says love the car when it works but after everything that's gone wrong I can't trust it anymore decided to try,to get my favorite car again. Had the Lexus sc430 loved the car know it's discontinued but thought what the he'll drove to the Lexus dealer jm which claims to b in the country,they had bought as many sc as they could as soon as the model
End was announced sire enough he had 1 left the xj is a beautiful car and when right but I know how much fun and reliable the Lexus the jag made me feel special driving it but also nervous good luck to the rest of you with your beautiful cars

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Mozart, I guess should have bought a SC430 in the first place. It is a totally different car. Not even in the same class of types. The SC430 isn't a Sedan.

Hard to find? There are 587 used ones on the advertised market and 70 of those are '09 and '08 year with very low mileage.

And those are in a different price class to begin with compared to the XJ. We are talking roughly $ 30k less for those pre-driven ones and even new they had been less.

The only comparison which would have made any sense was with a Lexus LS460. I may add that the SC430 was never very popular. and personally I feel the design style is, well, in eye of the beholder at best. (I think its plain ugly but I know tastes can differ widely).

Again, I believe it was the wrong car for that person's style and taste to begin with. Buyer's remorse comes to mind for buying a car which simply wasn't as suited for that person's taste and lifestyle. Otherwise why not getting into a LS460, Mercedes S, BMW7 or A8?

I just felt the need to add to this story, in part to point out, that not all seems to have been based on the car's problems alone. As long as the owner is happy with his new choice that is great.

For my part, My XJ needed only one (1) dealer visit to get some reworking of minor stuff, TSB's and software upgrade. (including roof noises) and seems to be perfect ever since. Was in the shop for only one day. I have to add that my dealer is in part to thank for doing such a great job. I never had ANY audio issues, except that I wished the touchscreen to be a bit more responsive.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

The only comparison which would have made any sense was with a Lexus LS460. I may add that the SC430 was never very popular. and personally I feel the design style is, well, in eye of the beholder at best. (I think its plain ugly but I know tastes can differ widely).
I remember going to the Houston Auto Show when the SC430 first came out because I was in the market for a new 2 door coupe for my wife. I had liked the style of the old Lexus SC and had hoped the new one would be an update of that design. WRONG! One look at that car and we immediately bought a Mercedes CLK430--not only better looking but, unlike the Lexus, actually had some backseat legroom and a real trunk!

Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I've had 2 SC430s in the past -- an '03 and an '05. I actually miss that car sometimes and have thought about picking up a used one except I don't have any space to park an additional car at my house :-(

Just a bit of trivia -- I used to work for Toyota and in 2003 there was a series of commercials for the SC430. The commercials with a black/tan SC430 in it are with my personal car in it. I still have copies of those commercials somewhere around here...

Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Seems the SC430 is another very polarizing car. It does nothing for me. The old coupe SC predecessor was nice looking. The SC430 looks plain weird when it comes to the lines. I was very dissapointed when it came out.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:07 PM

It wasn't the wrong car for the wrong person I loved the car when it worked and it was great looking but a gas leak,loose tie rod,and only sporadic functioning of the stereo, Bluetooth etc meant a nice looking mechanically inferior car the only buyers remorse I had was that I bought a car that didn't work well as for the sc430 I was looking for a new one which I found I just
Hope you guys have better look with your jags then I did as to the sc I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think the Lexus is a great looking car I

Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mozart
It wasn't the wrong car for the wrong person I loved the car when it worked and it was great looking but a gas leak,loose tie rod,and only sporadic functioning of the stereo, Bluetooth etc meant a nice looking mechanically inferior car the only buyers remorse I had was that I bought a car that didn't work well as for the sc430 I was looking for a new one which I found I just
Hope you guys have better look with your jags then I did as to the sc I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think the Lexus is a great looking car I
I think what Gears is referring to is that even if your jaguar had no problems the 2 cars are not comparable to each other as one is a 4 door sedan and the other a 2 door convertible the average consumer would not be cross shopping these 2 vehicles. In any case enjoy your Lexus.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 AM

Mozart,

I havae a similar issue where no sound comes from audio system. For me, the problem was related to bluetooth phone connection. For some reason the system thinks I'm on a call even though I'm not so it mutes all audio. My solution right now is to terminate the blue tooth connection and the audio comes back on

hope this helps

Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 AM

Mozart, well yeah, with all the problems you had, I would probably also looking for another car. That is just a bit much. And I totally agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know several people who totally love the SC430. I almost believe it is a love it or hate it design. Which is a good thing because it means the car's design has personality. Just, not my thing for me personally.
I still love my XJ L SC but I hope I never have to deal with what you did.

Quick Reply: Anyone extremely happy with their car?