XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Draining Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Draining Radiator

Anyone had problems with drain plug? I can only turn it about 360 degrees then it seizes up and no coolant comes out Is it just a 90 turn screw? I'm concerned about chewing up the plastic cross head so any ideas on the best tool to use in removing/loosening the drain screw to get coolant flow?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...diator-176187/

Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

hafren, not to ask a silly question, but are you loosening the drain? Looking at the repair manual I have (granted, it is for the diesel variant), it shows a flat "bill style" valve that you would need to turn to drain the coolant, not a plug with the cross in it.

The other thing I would ask is if the coolant overflow bottle had its cap removed. I have seen in the past where if there was a way for the overflow bottle to not be able to suck in air, it will cause the drain valve to not discharge any coolant.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Draining Radiator SOLVED

For the benefit of future forum posters/searchers. The radiator has a cross head plastic screw that is multi turn i.e not a 90degree shut off.

My experience on a 4.5 year old car was that the screw backs out ~ 360 degrees then seizes. Given the plastic screw head is susceptible to being chewed up you can quickly become "screwed" excuse the pun. I made a small tool to match the profile (curved and thickness) to best fit the cross head slot and with plenty of wd40 backed the screw out in small increments about 45 degrees at a time cycling the screw in & out until I had coolant flow. Glad to say this was successful and the WD40 must have lubricated the thread enough to overcome the initial seizeure that threated to ruin the plastic screw head.

Attached Thumbnails Draining Radiator-radiator-drain-screw.jpg   Draining Radiator-20170205_183549.jpg