XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

I am SO conflicted!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

As I stated in my earlier post. My experience with total claims with State Farm are that they will use NADA retail as the valuation and that you can ask and they will add sales tax onto the used retail value for your area. Truthfully I have found this value more than I could have gotten if I had sold the car myself. Prices on the 2016s should be coming down as the 2017s may be on their way. So happy shopping.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Personally I would 'total' the car, use the $40k check to buy a supercharged XJ of the same year, and still have some $ left in the pocket.

Trying to sell a salvaged car is no fun, and the repaired car will probably never drive the same again.

So, two 'Upgrade' options -- (1) buy another XJ-L brand-new but pay $40k more (2) buy a higher-trim XJ Supercharged used for $35-38k and have your trusty Jaguar dealer do a thorough inspection...that should give you a peace of mind.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm with Wolfy on this. Really feel for you, leadfoot! Best of luck, mate!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

I've been looking at dealer websites, all over the east coast, searching for a replacement car. I found a couple of suitable candidates, unfortunately they're about 1000 miles away. I've also seen some of the dealers doing some heavy discounting of soon-to-be "leftover" 2016's. My local dealer alluded that he could "work with me", but they have only 3 cars in stock, and I'm not crazy about any of them, with respect to color combination or equipment.

It appears that I'm going to have to A) get my insurance people on the line, and settle this deal ASAP; and B) have a "sit-down" with my dealer, and see what we can come up with, on pricing and a "dealer trade".

Old 09-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

As an update to this discussion, rather than re-type my post from another discussion, I'll just do a "Cut and Paste"........

.......Anyway, my wife wanted to go to the mall today, as her birthday is this weekend, Lord&Taylor sent her a bunch of coupons, and she hates to let a good coupon go to waste, She wanted to get something to cheer herself up. So, after finding a new dress for herself (and a new sport shirt for me), she wanted to take a detour past the Jaguar dealer, on our way home, just to look at different color combinations.

Our local dealer has just a few 2106s on hand, and she sort of liked a white one that was there, although we would have preferred either the cashew or London tan interiors, and this one had the oyster interior. Secondly, because we weren't exactly planning or budgeting for a new car at this point in time, we need to be somewhat cost conscious. This particular car has a few options, as well as being an AWD, so the price is somewhat high.

But wait, there's more!!

Last evening, I was doing some searching on my own, and stumbled on a RWD, ultimate black XJ-L, with the London tan interior, at a dealer only 220 miles away, in Albany, NY. Despite all of the searching that I had done several days ago, I somehow missed this one. I didn't initially mention this one to her, as I knew that she was leaning toward a white car. The options on this black one are minimal, so the cost is fairly low, for a Jag, that is. Maybe it's a good omen! My local dealer is checking to see if they can either do a dealer trade, or just an outright transfer. While we were there, my dealer also located a white, with London tan, RWDer, but it was in Florida. Although I've had nothing but black cars since the late 70s, I could have lived with this color combination. My dealer said that he would get it shipped here, if that's the car we wanted, but the cost is rather prohibitive.

Having said all that, I think there's a strong possibility we're going to get the black one....

Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel for you Bud, but if they fix your car correctly, conceder yourself lucky, as from what I understand ,you cant even replace it with a new one. The new ones ,which I got to drive as a loaner, had the supercharged six, to which I sat Bah! It was slow and they changed the buttons around for no reason that I can tell, and worst of all you can't get the aluminum V-8 with out the supercharger, and even though I like more power, I can't use what I already have without getting pulled over, and I've already smoked a couple of Maserati's without the supercharger. I hope every thing works out for you,as I couldn't even think of what I would replace mine with at this point in time.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizzley1
I feel for you Bud, but if they fix your car correctly, conceder yourself lucky, as from what I understand ,you cant even replace it with a new one. The new ones ,which I got to drive as a loaner, had the supercharged six, to which I sat Bah! It was slow and they changed the buttons around for no reason that I can tell, and worst of all you can't get the aluminum V-8 with out the supercharger, and even though I like more power, I can't use what I already have without getting pulled over, and I've already smoked a couple of Maserati's without the supercharger. I hope every thing works out for you,as I couldn't even think of what I would replace mine with at this point in time.
You responded to an old post (September 2016). leadfoot4's car was declared a total loss and he purchased a black 2016 XJL to replace it. As you stated, there are some differences but the general consensus was that replacing his 2012 with a new car was preferable to taking a chance on a pre-owned one. If you're interested, you can read in other posts his thoughts about the new car vs. the 2012.

The following users liked this post:
Grizzley1 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Since this discussion was revived, I'll add this.....My wife and I had been involved in a couple of minor "fender benders" over the years, but we had never lost a car due to it being totaled. I wondered what would happen to our beloved XJ, so somewhat like a person grieving over a lost family member, I did a VIN search of the car, shortly after the insurance settled with us. That took me to an "auto salvage company" website, where our car was going up for auction. I was disappointed to see it all dusty and partially disassembled.

It eventually sold for roughly $9000. It was purchased by a used car business in Brooklyn, NY, and they apparently sell damaged cars, as a specialty. What really confounds me, however, is when I read their description of the car, they describe it as "slightly damaged", and an easy repair.

HUH??? The repair estimate, to PROPERLY fix the car, was $36,000! If that's what they call "slightly damaged", I'd hate to see what they call serious damage..............

Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

And you are questioning the veracity of a used car salesman, I’m shocked!

Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsss
And you are questioning the veracity of a used car salesman, I’m shocked!

No, I might have born in the middle of the night (it's true!) but it wasn't LAST night....I just hope that some poor, optimistic fool, doesn't fall for their "easily repairable" story, and buy the car thinking that they car fix it economically. In that respect, it might be the case, as they've had the car for 3 months, and as of a couple of days ago, it's still for sale.

It's listed on E-Bay Motors, if anyone is interested.....

Old 01-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Leadfoot4 when my 1996 XJR got totaled several months later I got a call from someone who had bought it and wanted to know if I had any keys and fobs for it which I did and said I would sell them to him for $150. He was so cheap that he didn't buy them, but it does show us that totals get back on the road. In truth the damage was to the front left corner of the car that was a big repair, but what totaled the car was that the passenger air bag deployed and State Farm's repair estimate included replacing all the wood and that drove it over the top. I got @ 26k from them and used that and more to buy a 2001 used XJR with 8k on it from British Motor Cars Distributors in San Francisco and had it shipped to my then Jaguar dealer in Atlanta. I drove the car till I got my 2013 and then gave it to my son who totaled it (he wasn't hurt) took that 9k and put him in a V6 Mustang.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Leadfoot4 when my 1996 XJR got totaled several months later I got a call from someone who had bought it and wanted to know if I had any keys and fobs for it which I did and said I would sell them to him for $150. He was so cheap that he didn't buy them, but it does show us that totals get back on the road. In truth the damage was to the front left corner of the car that was a big repair, but what totaled the car was that the passenger air bag deployed and State Farm's repair estimate included replacing all the wood and that drove it over the top. I got @ 26k from them and used that and more to buy a 2001 used XJR with 8k on it from British Motor Cars Distributors in San Francisco and had it shipped to my then Jaguar dealer in Atlanta. I drove the car till I got my 2013 and then gave it to my son who totaled it (he wasn't hurt) took that 9k and put him in a V6 Mustang.

I think I remember the discussion about your car, was it a silver XJ?

I find it absolutely amazing, what the parts cost, for these cars. On our former '12, the RH muffler and rear exhaust pipe were crushed. The cost of those two pieces was a little over $800. In front, the RH headlight assembly was destroyed, and to replace them was over $1500.....

Old 02-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the 2001 XJR was silver as is indicated in my signature

Old 02-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the 2001 XJR was silver as is indicated in my signature

I remember seeing the picture(s) you posted, and the car didn't look all that bad. Our 2001 XJ-8, back around '08-'09, was hit by a deer, and the damage to ours looked about the same as your car. However, we didn't have any airbags deploy.