XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Illuminated Vents Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 AM
Z20
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Illuminated Vents Question

So the new (to me) 2014 XJL AWD showed up about a week ago and I'm very happy with it so far. The unexpected terrific gas mileage has been one of the most pleasant surprises. And I have ordered all of the mods I wanted to make even before the car arrived and they will arrive from UK on Monday. So in about 10 days it will be "finished". One of the questions I am having trouble figuring out involves illuminated vents. When the VIN is used to look up the car it says "I/P Vents". Am I correct in assuming this stands for "Iilluminated Package Vents?" If so mine do not turn on at night, or at all. Is there a way to tell by looking at the vents if it has illuminated vents? And, assuming I have them, is there a fuse or anything that could be causing these not to work?
I called the dealer and got a very unsure service rep that called me back shortly after Asking this same question saying, "I think you might have them." He had no idea what he was talking about. I asked a local repair shop here that only deals with jags and they weren't able to answer my question either. So I am now hoping that someone in the forum could at least get me moving in the correct direction. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Z20, do you have a white ring around the dash vents near the center of them. If so, then you most likely have them. Also, when you open up the doors, look at the sill plates. Do those light up (will also have a lighted panel for the trunk access)?

As for fuses and whatnot, you need to access the central junction box. There will be a 40A MIDI fuse (BCM-3) that is what controls the power to the lights in question. You then will have a small module that will provide the logic for turning the lights on and off.

On a side note, how do you have your dash lights set up? Do you like them down low in intensity or turned up fairly bright? If you have them turned down really low, it may be possible that they have power, but because of the dimmer setting, they are not able to output any light.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Z20
...Is there a way to tell by looking at the vents if it has illuminated vents? And, assuming I have them, is there a fuse or anything that could be causing these not to work?....
If you shine a flashlight into a vent you can see the wires for the lighting. And if you do have them, they are on anytime your headlights are on, or if in AUTO, when car senses the headlights need to be on.

Last edited by RoonieQ; 02-10-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Z20
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the replies and helpful information. It's looking like there are no illuminated vents on this car as I can't see a ring or wires. Not a huge deal, but strange since the local dealership and my online VIN lookup both says I/P Vents. No lighted tread sills as that is one of the items that have been ordered with my "facelift". Thank again to this forum for all of its useful information.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I/P typically just means instrument panel on the dash. So I think I/P vents just means you have vents in the dash - my guess is that contrasts with a specific mention of illuminated on those vehicles that have it

Old 02-20-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the light source for the vents? a tiny LED?