XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What coolant type to use

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

all flushed again with distilled water. green was in the car but yellow is what was factory. should I go with green or zerex g05

Old 02-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm going to go through this again .. only because. Maybe it will help you in the future.

Car manufacturers dye fluids for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it's a production change (like our Jaguars) quick and easy for service to see what is in the car. It's also easy to see if someone added the incorrect fluid. Most times these colors are manufacturer specific. The red/orange that Jaguar uses does not match the red that GM uses -- Toyota uses two different coolants (both red) they don't match each other obviously and they don't match Jaguars or GM's. Nissan uses a green color that's nothing like the old green coolant of years ago. SO ...... if you add some other red coolant with the Jaguar coolant -- it's noticeable. That's why it's red -- Years ago they used Blue?

Yes -- Jaguar did use a yellow colored fluid for a bit over 2 years. They changed it for a reason? The dealers took it out of the earlier cars when they serviced them (my 98vdp) and put in the later red/orange -- Car companies don't do things because they are nice?

Jaguar never used the high silicate/ phosphate (old style green) in the x308 -- why would you use it?? The older blue had problems in the AL V8 XK's -- that should tell you enough about why you should not use the old style green.

If it was my car -- I would have bought the one 5L bottle of Jaguar fluid and been done with it.

The G05 is a fine fluid -- it's a hybrid. Works in Al -- but Jaguar moved away from that type and paid to remove it from the early cars -- so why use it?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I'm going to go through this again .. only because. Maybe it will help you in the future.

Car manufacturers dye fluids for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it's a production change (like our Jaguars) quick and easy for service to see what is in the car. It's also easy to see if someone added the incorrect fluid. Most times these colors are manufacturer specific. The red/orange that Jaguar uses does not match the red that GM uses -- Toyota uses two different coolants (both red) they don't match each other obviously and they don't match Jaguars or GM's. Nissan uses a green color that's nothing like the old green coolant of years ago. SO ...... if you add some other red coolant with the Jaguar coolant -- it's noticeable. That's why it's red -- Years ago they used Blue?

Yes -- Jaguar did use a yellow colored fluid for a bit over 2 years. They changed it for a reason? The dealers took it out of the earlier cars when they serviced them (my 98vdp) and put in the later red/orange -- Car companies don't do things because they are nice?

Jaguar never used the high silicate/ phosphate (old style green) in the x308 -- why would you use it?? The older blue had problems in the AL V8 XK's -- that should tell you enough about why you should not use the old style green.

If it was my car -- I would have bought the one 5L bottle of Jaguar fluid and been done with it.

The G05 is a fine fluid -- it's a hybrid. Works in Al -- but Jaguar moved away from that type and paid to remove it from the early cars -- so why use it?
ok so what do I use? can I get a compatible coolant at a autoparts store (napa autozone O'Reilly).I dont want to have to travel over 150 miles to get coolant