XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

ok new wheel idea...scratched the last one

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry if I miss read. I get it enough for having the 350 chevy engine.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that !!

I should be getting her home finally to Florida next weekend and then gonna grab the other set of rims in a week or two after that so gonna see how it goes

Looking forward to putting some miles on her...

Originally Posted by dcarr
When I found that I couldn't get Z-rated tires in a 15" size, I looked around for 16" wheels for my 1986 XJS.

I finally decided on the later-model Jaguar Vanden Plas wheels. I think they look great. But fitting them required:

Installing longer wheel studs on the front;
Modifying the back of the front center caps so as to clear the grease caps;
Thin wheel spacers to provide just a little bit more clearance.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

I like those wheels better than the Lattice wheels they replace, plus they appear to be far less susceptible to dust contamination. Nice choice.

Cheers,

Old 05-31-2016, 03:22 AM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The first thing I thought was WOW when I saw Dcarr's car , and I think the wheels really suit the XJS gives a look keeping in with the Marque , refinement. I really don't know if I have made the right choice for the wheels I have just fitted but will have to keep them until I wear the rubber down .Great to see pics like this .

Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 AM

Picked up wheels yesterday...all four rims/center caps/lug nuts for $130 The guy was awesome...he had a brand new 96 I think it was a convert He drove it for about 15K miles then switched to Dalton Wire rims. Sadly back about 5 years ago he totaled the car and now his wife was bugg'n him to get rid of the old rims laying around in the old wire wheel boxes....so I got lucky and happen to meet up with him at the right time/day dumb luck is the best!
They just need a good cleaning and some rubber and should be good. Going to take them to a friends shop and make sure they are true etc but you can tell from this guys set up / house / other cars they were very well taken care of...and as usual very Jag story has an odd twist....his buddy calls him while I am there and he is getting ride of a sset of Lattice 15 inch rims so grabbed four of those...need a serious cleaning lol but still very true...for 50 bucks! was a good Jag goodies day

They were in better condition than I thought (the 16's) so I am very happy !!

Looking now for tires seems 225/60/16 there are a bunch of great choices as opposed to the 15 inch rims that's for sure

Any opinions on a good brand or tire for these rims...mainly just a touring car feel...live in S Florida so not worried about snow but rain / wet&dry traction obviously

Thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails ok new wheel idea...scratched the last one-jag-wheel-2.jpg  

Last edited by H&Kjaguar; 06-03-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

A question was asked via private message about my XJS Vanden-Plas wheel conversion (shown below). Here are some more specifics, in case anyone is interested:

The biggest challenge was that the front wheel studs were not long enough. I normally do all the work on my XJS myself. But for this I had a local shop that I trust remove both front wheel spindles and install longer wheel studs.

I am not 100% sure that I remember what I used for wheel spacers. But if I remember correctly, I purchased a generic set of four 1/4" thick spacers. But there was a slight rubbing problem on the front, so I switched to 1/8" spacers for the two front wheels (and kept the 1/4" spacers on both rear wheels). I have had no rubbng problems at all since that, even during hard cornering.

The tires I have are Pirelli Scorpion STR, 215/65 R16.

The other challenge was the front center caps. Even with 1/8" spacers, the center caps would not clear the grease caps. I flattened the grease caps a little bit (as much as possible) and there was still a clearance problem. The small emblem in the center of the cap has a front and back layer. Once I carefully cut away the backside layer, the center caps fit and I have not had any come off (again, no problems even during hard cornering).

I also painted the non-chromed portion of the center caps a dark gray metallic color.

Originally Posted by dcarr
When I found that I couldn't get Z-rated tires in a 15" size, I looked around for 16" wheels for my 1986 XJS.

I finally decided on the later-model Jaguar Vanden Plas wheels. I think they look great. But fitting them required:

Installing longer wheel studs on the front;
Modifying the back of the front center caps so as to clear the grease caps;
Thin wheel spacers to provide just a little bit more clearance.

The following 2 users liked this post by dcarr:
ericjansen (07-21-2016), Padre (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Congrats on your beautiful car!

I must admit, the first time I saw your pictures I was not impressed.
But the more I see them, the more I like them, showing a grand tourer car with grand tourer rims, very period correct.
My opinion is that the design of the car does well with large rubber, and for me 16" plus your fat tires makes it all looking very nice.

What I still don't understand is that by installing 1/4" spacers you only needed longer studs on the front, not the rear.
But I did not take the wheels of mine off, so it might have different studs.

Anyway, I will dust off the VDP rims I have sitting in a box, and do some work myself.

Again, beautiful car!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It was several years ago that I had the wheel studs replaced. The front spindles definitely came off the car for that. Now that I think about it, the rear studs were probably replaced as well. But those were easier to do.

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Congrats on your beautiful car!

I must admit, the first time I saw your pictures I was not impressed.
But the more I see them, the more I like them, showing a grand tourer car with grand tourer rims, very period correct.
My opinion is that the design of the car does well with large rubber, and for me 16" plus your fat tires makes it all looking very nice.

What I still don't understand is that by installing 1/4" spacers you only needed longer studs on the front, not the rear.
But I did not take the wheels of mine off, so it might have different studs.

Anyway, I will dust off the VDP rims I have sitting in a box, and do some work myself.

Again, beautiful car!

Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 PM

OK...update...typical Jaguar fashion

I have flown to SC on two occasions to retrieve my car and give her her first long voyage home to S Fla. The first time was a couple months ago and the day I was gonna leave along came tropical storm COLIN !!! It pretty much flooded all the roads and was going to make the I95 drive miserable in a Bentley...so in an old Jag I am hoping makes it...not gonna happen...so I waited. The next trip a a week ago left me there in 100 degree weather with a so-so AC put out and brutal temps and rain again. Just simply looking for a fun drive and adventure in my Jag and mother nature keeps mess'n with me. Gave me more time to visit family and hang out but would prefer to get her home and start the fiddling process. The GOOD news is that each time I have driven her up there its been good stuff....I do have a few more questions of course but should probably start a new thread as I am having fits with the GAS GAUGE !! UGH