Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar XK Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by pmm5714
Thanks for the post. I needed to hear about how easy this was going to be. I have a 2006 XK8 Convertible in my garage. I purchased it in 2008, and the battery has never been replaced. Normally, I take it out enough that I do not have a problem starting it, but this winter and my divorce were a little rough, so I decided to drive my 4WD truck. Well, needless to say, the battery in the jag is dead, and after 30 minutes of attempting to charge it all I got in return was a few seconds of dash control lights - all just to tell me it wasn't going to start. So, I am going to purchase a new battery (AGM Platinum) to replace it. Frankly, I am more concerned about the weight of the battery when attempting to remove it and install the new one, plus what if I install it and it still doesn't start? Of course, there is also the fact that I have never removed or installed a battery in any vehicle before, but I can read. I think I even have the right tools. But, if there is anyone who lives anywhere near Frederick, MD that would be willing to lend a hand, I would be happy to have a few bottles of Guinness or whatever it is you drink on hand to celebrate getting my pretty jag back out of the garage this weekend. I will toast you with a glass of red wine. I would also love a recommendation for a good service mechanic in my area, for the JAG of course. I prefer to take it in for regular maintenance but I am tired of driving to Chantilly, McLean, and/or Columbia. Plus, it won't go anywhere with a dead battery right now.
Hi Pamela-
Your 2006 XK8 is a different car. These instructions (and this forum group) is for the new 2007+ XK (in the US)and the battery is in a different place. It is a bit confusing because the new XK started in 2006 in the UK.

In a way it is good news, because the battery is easier to get at in your car. Simply lift out the floor panel on the right side of the trunk and you will see the battery right there. It is clamped down with a bar and two bolts, It is easy to remove, but you will need a T-40 Torx socket and a ratchet wrench to remove the bolts. The battery terminal clamps are standard 10 mm nuts just like the later models.

As for a shop, try English Auto in Odenton, MD...still not around the corner but they are excellent (former Master mechanics at Laurel Jaguar) and cost less than the dealer.

Steve

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-05-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

pmm5714 is already my hero for holding on to the Jag through a divorce, unless, of course, his ex is in the trunk, in which case, he would be approaching "idol" status.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
pmm5714 is already my hero for holding on to the Jag through a divorce, unless, of course, his ex is in the trunk, in which case, he would be approaching "idol" status.
pmm5714 is Paula, i.e. a her, not a him...

The battery is HEAVY - really bloody heavy. I damaged my shoulder lifting an Odyssey AGM battery into my XK8. pmm5714, unless you do a lot of weight training, I'd definitely suggest you get someone to help with the lifting.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
pmm5714 is Paula, i.e. a her, not a him...

The battery is HEAVY - really bloody heavy. I damaged my shoulder lifting an Odyssey AGM battery into my XK8. pmm5714, unless you do a lot of weight training, I'd definitely suggest you get someone to help with the lifting.
It's 58 lbs. I know, since I removed and refitted it within the last couple of days. For the 2013 cars with ECO feature add the second battery and you are getting close to 90 - 100 lbs, just for batteries.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, but at least the 2007+ XK has a (reasonably) flat path to slide the battery into the right area. In the XK8, the damn thing is in a well, and you have to lift the battery out of it to even get it at trunk-floor level. Then you have to lift it out of the trunk. Then reverse the process.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for the feedback. Just to add to your entertainment, as I do have quite the sense of humor, and it got me through the last few years.
1) Yes, I am a girl, but please do not hold that against me. I am not competing with men, as I kind of like them. I just like to be self sufficient and am always competing against myself to see what my own limitations are.
2) No, I do not lift weights on a regular basis, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express before, and I did complete my first www.toughmudder.com last year.
3) I do try to stay fit, and I am always working on something. I just shoveled 8 yards of beautiful red mulch from my driveway to yard last week. I had two girlfriends assist.
4) As for the divorce, I kept my jag (paid for) and he kept his Ford SuperDuty 250, Harley (Fat Boy?), Dodge Challenger, 6x8 enclosed trailer, Class C Motorhome, and pull behind camper. I believe the Harley was the only thing he didn't owe on. I had to threaten to go after the Harley to keep him from trying to take my car also. He said I could not possibly ride it. My reply was, I do not have to as my new boyfriend will be riding me around on it. His reaction was priceless. He ran the credit card we had in both of our names to the max after I handed him 4500 to pay it off, then added me as a joint user on a CHASE credit card and ran it up to 25K in attempt to get me to pay half. Then he claimed he didn't add me, and said that the bank must've added me auto-magically. Funny how I never got the card(s) they said they sent me for the previous 6 years. That doesn't begin to touch the debt he incurred, but you get the gist of it. He is quite the spoiled child and is now burning through his parents money with his POA. Luckily, I am not actually spoiled, and am quite a bit smarter than him, and have never been lazy or greedy.

In any case, you will be happy to know that I was able to remove that battery after finding the necessary tools in my garage. I kindly asked the EX to leave me half the tools, as I use them more than he does, but he took them all, so I had to demand he return some. He brought me the cheapest ones he had..shmuck!

So, I actually removed the battery on my lunch hour in heels and a white blouse yesterday. Needless to say, my heels are now 1/2" shorter or my driveway has divots in it from the trunk of the car to the truck. I changed into jeans and rubber bottomed shoes to install the new battery. You are right, it was very easy. The funny thing is, the instructions are pure ***** in my jag manual! She started right up, and I pulled her out and gave her a much needed bath. I took her out last night, and brought her to the office today. I have been smiling ever since. I know what I did is not much, but I did it without help, maintaining my self sufficiency. The jaguar forum deserves credit also, as it gives me the answers I need. Thank you!

Last edited by pmm5714; 05-06-2014 at 08:56 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by pmm5714:
110reef (06-09-2017), LosRubios (07-09-2015), Ngarara (05-06-2014), ralphwg (05-06-2014), WhiteXKR (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Good for you Paula Martin. We taught our girls too, to be self sufficient, get good educations, and not have to rely on husbands for their existence.
Those batteries are awkward heavy things, you must be stronger than you think. I see your in the Frederick area. You going to British Car day at Lily Pons? I think it's the first of June this year. I can't imagine a Jag owner not knowing about this huge turn-out.
CCNEMGTR

The following users liked this post:
pmm5714 (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Good work - I really did myself a mischief when I did my battery swap. The original was heavy, but the Odyssey AGM, while smaller, was even heavier (60 lb).

pmm5714 (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

British Car Day? I am now! I had no idea. I am not worthy.

CCNEMGTR

BTW - How many cars do you own RedRider48?

Old 11-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing xk for the winter

I am storing my xk in a heated garage. I ordered a cloth cover. I intend to disconnect one terminal to keep battery good until I return. What else should I do?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by nkolbes
I am storing my xk in a heated garage. I ordered a cloth cover. I intend to disconnect one terminal to keep battery good until I return. What else should I do?
nkolbes:

Invest $60.00 in a CTEK 3300 or another CTEK model battery maintainer. You will not be disappointed. No need to disconnect the battery, then have to go thru a reset when you reconnect it. You can buy the CTEK 3300 on Amazon and suggest the CTEK Comfort Extension Cord, which cost an additonal $15.00 +-.

This is the best way to maintain your battery, and provide constant power to the car.

The CTEK maintainers are the battery maintainer of choice by most premium automobile constructors including Jaguar and so many others.

Here's a link to the items I have mentioned to make your buying process easy.

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-158-1) MULTI US 3300 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-158-1) MULTI US 3300 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive

Amazon.com: CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension: Automotive

There is a thread here on the installation method if your car is 2009MY or under. I don't know what MY you own, but you might want to ad this info to your signature so other posters might also make a suggestion.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

I am quite sure that other XK/XKR owners will verify the positives of owning the CTEK Smart maintainers and there usefulness.

I own 3 of these CTEK 3300's personally and wouldn't be without them. Electrical gremlins have been an issue with these cars for many years. Owning and connecting the maintainer 100% of the time when not driving your car, will help eliminate most, if not all of any battery related problems.

If this info is useful, click the "thanks" button in the lower right hand corner.

As always, Happy Motoring.

Welcome to the forums. There is so much info and great members to answer any if not all questions you might have.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by nkolbes
Even disconnected, a car battery will self-discharge over several months. Richard's CTEK advice is right on the mark.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a Sears AGM Group 49 battery in my 2008 XK conv which I read on this forum was a good fit for the car and it was a perfect fit. It cost $189. In addition to all the directions elsewhere on this forum I improvised a very easy way to get the old battery out and the new one in. I laid a 2 foot long section of 2 x 8 wood over the spare tire and the old battery slid right down and the new battery slid right up with no effort at all. I also had the dangling white connector to nowhere which now I am realize is nothing to be concerned about. I had to reset the windows and clock and initially had trouble with convertible roof until I adjusted the cargo cover in the trunk. Overall a fairly easy job and I am no mechanic. Thanks again to this forum for the great information on this subject.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay057:
Ngarara (12-28-2014), richzak (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay057
I just installed a Sears AGM Group 49 battery in my 2008 XK conv which I read on this forum was a good fit for the car and it was a perfect fit. It cost $189. In addition to all the directions elsewhere on this forum I improvised a very easy way to get the old battery out and the new one in. I laid a 2 foot long section of 2 x 8 wood over the spare tire and the old battery slid right down and the new battery slid right up with no effort at all. I also had the dangling white connector to nowhere which now I am realize is nothing to be concerned about. I had to reset the windows and clock and initially had trouble with convertible roof until I adjusted the cargo cover in the trunk. Overall a fairly easy job and I am no mechanic. Thanks again to this forum for the great information on this subject.
Good choice on the agm battery. Also good idea on the using the wood plank!

Old 01-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oddyssey PC1350-A

This is a terrific thread. Thanks for all of the great info.

I had a 2006 XKR in which I installed an Oddyssey battery. (I have a long history of success using Optima batteries in my Land Cruisers but, sadly, Optima doesn't make a battery for the XKR.) The Oddyssey was absolutely problem free for the three years I kept the car.

I now have a 2010 XKR which is in need of a new battery. It looks like the part number for the 2010 XKR is PC1350-A. Can anyone conform that that's the number... and does anyone have experience with it? Assuming by bank will write a second mortgage on my house so I can afford to buy the damned thing, does anyone have a better suggestion?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

That's the model I fitted in my XK8, and as far as I can tell, it's also the one for the XK. I'll be fitting one in my XKR when it eventually needs a new battery. I checked the measurements vs. standard - it's slightly smaller in footprint so you'll need some packing for the clamps, and it's taller, but someone measured the clearance and it should fit.

However, I can't give you a clear thumbs-up because I've not done it yet...

Lothar52 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

After hearing good things about AGM batteries I tried to find one but I mainly got blank stares here in New Zealand. I eventually found one on a local auction site and took the risk. So far it has been great - no more electrical glitches, hanging touch screens etc.

When I bought a non AGM new battery for my XJ8 a few years ago I was surprised at how fast the starter motor spun over when I first fitted it. That soon tailed off but with the AGM battery in my XKR there is no sign of that happening after 4 months and that includes nothing but short trips, alwys left unlocked in the garage over night and recently being left for three weeks whilst on holiday. I am therefore an AGM convert.

As I didn't have much choice, the one I bought was from a manufacturer I hadn't heard of but they seem to sell them in the UK as well:

ABXAGM Car Battery / AX AGM Batteries / Batteries by Application

Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My Interstate Battery in 2001 XJR was 12 years old . Still started car. Failed DOT test .was advised to purchase new battery . Much checking on makes etc and prices.
Most batteries made by Johnson Controls . Found Sunday morning deal at Walmart.
950 CCA 3years full warranty then 24 months pro rated.
Cost $124.00 Installed !!! Done in 30 mins. Picked up 5 liter's Mobil 1 for $28.00 too.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
After hearing good things about AGM batteries I tried to find one but I mainly got blank stares here in New Zealand.
Same in the UK - the acronym "AGM" doesn't seem to have much currency here. They're described as 'sealed for life' or VRLA (valve-regulated lead-acid)

Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Even disconnected, a car battery will self-discharge over several months. Richard's CTEK advice is right on the mark.
What needed to reset with battery replacement? I have had good luck with Wal-Mart batteries in the past. Advance Auto will meet local Wal-Mart pricing if you prefer to do business with them

Quick Reply: Jaguar XK Battery Replacement