XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doesn't everyone prefer a supercharged V8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

While I would personally rather have an XKR (make mine a coupe, please, while you're at it!), I can certainly understand the appeal of the "standard" XK8. I'm sure that there are some XK8 owners who sometimes wish that they had sprung for the supercharged model, but there are also plenty of people out there who, if given the choice, would take the XK8 over the R.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I prefer the XK8 I have over the XKR. I do not drive this car fast. In fact, I drive it slow. I drive it like I have the queen in the car. In fact, I do.

My Superformance 427 Cobra addresses the need for speed. Crazy speed in fact.

Jack

Last edited by BlkCat; 11-14-2014 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PaulCarr (11-17-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I lusted after an XK8 for years based solely on looks, alone. Now that I own one, I am more than happy with the available power. I don't usually engage in stoplight racing, but I can certainly stay in front of most cars. Sure, there are times I'd like another 100 hp just for the hell of it. But today, 400+ hp cars are becoming almost commonplace, so an XKR still won't be the fastest car on the block. And I'd rather keep the engine as simple as possible. There are enough things for me to worry about without adding a supercharger. As far as I am concerned, there may be any number of cars that are quicker than ours, but none that look better.

The following users liked this post:
PaulCarr (11-17-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

When I was looking for my second XK8 (I sold the first and regretted it) I looked at and drove an R. I remember it being faster but not that much to make it a must over The 8.

Fast forward two years (one year ago) when I began looking for an XJ to add. I drove a few XJ8's and they were nice but when I drove an XJR that was it. I narrowed my search to only XJRs and found a perfect one with 32000 miles. Love the car and it is wicked fast for a sedan. Favorite car I have owned.

Makes me rethink my decision on the XK8. I would like to drive another R and would probably make the switch if I found the right car. I'm quite happy with my 8 but it sure feels gutless after driving the XJR.

2X

Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

At the end of the day, whatever the Jag you drive, having it start and run every time you turn the key is what's really exciting.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Lower cost of purchase, less potential maintenance and in an urban environment the extra ponies would not matter that much. All this equals a N/A XK8 for me.
that about sums it up for me also.

and i am not a fan of forced induction i have had a few super and turbo
charged cars over the years and while they "can" be faster
i prefer the sound an delivery of an NA

Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Pure chance- it's what I just happened to happen upon and I wasn't even seriously considering a Jag at the time, though I've always loved the XK100. I was actually looking for an old Audi Allroad for Home Depot and general grunt work runs- that was an interesting phone call to the wife, who had approved of said Allroad... Everything turns out for a reason. A year later I got an awesome '93 Chevy turbo diesel truck for that use instead!

However, I try to find my cars (always used) in top-trim, because why not with depreciation? And I typically will fly to either coast and drive the right one back too. But luckily, 'Kate' was a local find, just a couple blocks away from my work. I still love her.

...and granted, while remarkably low-maintenance, the times it has been down, it wouldn't have been had I a XK8 coupe.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 11-14-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

We all love our Cars, they are sleek and sexy, We or our significant other looks good in them moving or standing still. I think Graham was looking for the feeling we have. The following chart show for a convertible there are 3x more vehicles mfg / year so this naturally lends itself to there being more XK8 available from anyone year and the odds of finding a better conditioned one. Now if ever these become collector cars at collectors values which might be worth more?

Attached Thumbnails Doesn't everyone prefer a supercharged V8?-jagshipmentnumbers.png  
Old 11-15-2014, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Collectors cars will be the most expensive at production..... That is how it normally works so the XK100s and 400s, Silverstone and probably the run out model S.......

Rs will always be worth more and the XK8 convertible maybe on par with an XKR coupe but the XKR vert will be the collectors choice IMO

Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

This thread is bringing out some fascinating views and reactions.

The ratio of Coupe / Convertible and Normally Aspirated / Supercharged reflects the original buyers preferences which will determine availability in the used vehicle market.

In addition to finding the total production figures for the table in post #28, I also came across the year on year sales in the USA:

Unfortunately I can't find the split of these into XK8/XKR or Coupe to Convertible. It does however show how important the USA market was to Jaguar with 50048 out of the total production of 90616 being sold there.

I've read several sources suggesting Convertibles outsold Coupes by around 2:1 in the USA but the ratio was the opposite in Europe.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Doesn't everyone prefer a supercharged V8?-usa-sales.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

From a thread Back in 2010:

Old 11-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

I am sure this is down to climate...... The US has much better sunshine to rain ratio than here in the UK and probably a fair chunk of Europe too.......

Old 11-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Based on the numbers in this post, about 55% of the X100 XK8/Rs were shipped to the US. This means that about 5300 XKRs Coupes, 10,800 XKR Convertibles, 7850 XK8 Coups and 25,700 XK8 Convertibles were shipped to the US. As the first of these shipments were made over 17 years ago and the last around 8 years ago, some percentage of these kitties have already used up their 9 lives and are in kitty heaven. I don't have a good way to approximate this number but I think a reasonable guess would be 10%. Therefore, it is likely that less than 5k XKR Coups are still extent (getting fairly rare). Even the XK8 Convertibles are likely down to a little over 20k for the entire run of the X100 style. That said, however, numbers are only half of the equation when determining price. The other side of the equation being demand.

When I bought my XKR a little over 3 years ago, I searched eBay almost daily for close to a year and observed that during that time there were usually 20 to 25 XKRs listed each day on eBay with 5 to 7 of them being coupes. If you look today (and I do occasionally) there are 7 to 10 XKRs listed on eBay with 1 or 2 being coupes. In addition, based on my observations (which are by no means rigorous) the prices of the X100 XKRs appear to have stopped dropping and may even be raising a little. I cannot really comment on the XK8s because I have not looked at them, but I expect the same may be true for them.

I do not know what the future of the X100s will be and don't really care. I did not buy my 2002 XKR as an investment. I bought it because I considered it to be a beautiful machine and to have fun. I still consider it beautiful and I still have fun with it, even if I'm only going to the grocery store.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 11-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure you have one of these websites in the US but here in the UK you can find out

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...nvertible_auto

Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Not sure you have one of these websites in the US but here in the UK you can find out

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...nvertible_auto
I have seen this kind of information for the UK before and have looked for similar information in the US but I have not been able to find it. I don't know about the UK but in the US, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is not known for their customer service.

Mark

Old 11-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Removed.

Last edited by Kevin D; 11-15-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the look of these cars! and I was thinking of buying an R after a customer of mine came in with one! it was gorgeous! After having a chat with him though he explained that for the amount of extra fuel and the fact that he hardly gets the chance to use all the power I should think about getting the XK8 instead. So when my one turned up on EBAY with all the R body extras on it, even down to the black rubber rear wheel arch extenders. I realised I have best of both worlds :-) It's actually quite good on fuel consumption and when people see the R badges ( which I personally wouldn't have put on but hey) they back off and don't even try to race me hehe :-)

Old 11-15-2014, 05:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregfromuk
I love the look of these cars! and I was thinking of buying an R after a customer of mine came in with one! it was gorgeous! .........
I see from your Garage that Tangerine Dream Machine has found a friend.

Doesn't everyone prefer a supercharged V8?-tangerine.jpg

You don't need an 'R' to make a statement!

Graham

Old 11-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I see from your Garage that Tangerine Dream Machine has found a friend.

Attachment 100739

You don't need an 'R' to make a statement!

Graham
Hehe! That's very true Graham. It is quite bright on my driveway, although I also have a sweet 1970 cherry red beetle to calm things down slightly :-)

Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I would have found a great deal on XKR like I did my XK8 I would have went that route that being said my plan when I bought my xk8 was a ls/lsa swap but with only 32k miles on my XK8 and already have a 426HP/468FTLB corvette to get my speed thrill with I am happy just driving this great car and when I want to have fun or go to the track my restored classic corvette fits that bill very nicely. Regards

Quick Reply: Doesn't everyone prefer a supercharged V8?