XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Cable Adjustment = Original Power Restored ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just adjusted my cable yesterday and had an experience.

Thanks to SeismicGuy for explaining that there was no need to use the special tool.

I just removed the clip, took out the slack (about four or five notches) put the clip back in and then pressed the accelerator straight to the floor and held it for 5 seconds to make the final adjustment.

Wow, what a difference!!!

I never did work out what "Make sure 14 teeth are visible on the outer cable" ment but I don't seem to have broken anything so all is well.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It really is a simple and most rewarding thing to do!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Probably because (as I posted numerous times before) the basic mechanism resets the cable to a "correct" position. In the JTIS, the step that does the actual adjustment is the final step where you floor the pedal (with the engine NOT running, of course) and that sets the final position. With my previous car, there was a similar adjusting mechanism and you could initially position the cable anywhere you like (even tension it too much so that the throttle blades were open when the pedal was being pressed) but the final step of pressing the pedal re-adjusts the cable to the right position. The perceived "performance gains" with this adjustment are only due to the fact that you are opening the throttle body quicker (assuming the original adjustment was way too slack) but once you floor the pedal, the mechanism resets to a "correct" position. once again.

Doug
Doug are you sure this applies to 4.0 vehicles?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

My 4.0L is manual for the cable adjustment. I did the "press to floor and release" cycle JIC, but not sure it was needed. These are not 100% drive by wire, hence the cable.

You will need to give it some miles to relearn your driving style given the better throttle response. You'll like it to. It "feels" much better depending on how bad it was out of adjustment.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by p-Rock
Doug are you sure this applies to 4.0 vehicles?

I believe the procedure is quite different for the 4.0 vehicles and more like a traditional linkage than the drive-by-wire. As I mentioned my 95 Corvette had a similar throttle cable adjustment to my XKR (i.e., take out the tautness in the cable and then push the pedal to the floor to reset the proper position).

But, just like with the Jaguars, the adjustment mechanism in a slightly older Corvette (maybe 93 or 92) was totally different. So there were always guys on the Corvette forum who were screwing up their throttle adjustment by following instructions for a different year.

I still cannot quite figure out what is going on with the adjustment in the 4.2 Jaguar models. The JTIS explains the procedure but not the physics of what is going on. If someone had one of the mechanisms to dissect it would be interesting seeing what is happening inside that gizmo with the notches.

Doug

Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

On the side of the TB is the throttle position sensor (TPS). The TPS output is in voltage, usually 0.5 to 5.0 volts. The computer reads change in voltage, not absolute values. Therefore, whenever the TB, the cable, or the TPS is worked on, it is advisable to effect a reset. This reset helps the computer by reading the top and bottom of the voltage range (throttle plates shut at idle, or open as in WOT)..

In reality, if someone doesn't reset, the computer eventually compensates for the new changes. On our cars the TB also has a pedal position sensor which functions the same as a TPS.

For the record, I also am a little skeptical of the miraculous improvement in performance associated with a simple cable adjustment. A better driving car, yes; but everything done to keep a car tuned also provides for a better driving car.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
For the record, I also am a little skeptical of the miraculous improvement in performance associated with a simple cable adjustment. A better driving car, yes; but everything done to keep a car tuned also provides for a better driving car.
You should be skeptical, there is no change in HP gained. However, the throttle response improves, and in my case, the butterfly was only opening about 80%. I was never getting a true WOT condition. The difference in how it drove and felt was instantly noticeable.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar

Absolutely--not at all a performance improvement but just an adjustment. I recall some guys on the Corvette forum who would go through the adjustment but forget to do the last step which is pushing the pedal to the floor. In the best case they would end up with a very responsive throttle since there was now no slack at all so they thought they gained some performance (I guess you can argue that they did compared to a throttle that was not opening all the way). In the worst case they would end up with a car idling at 2000+ rpm if they over-tightened the cable. In any event once they floored the pedal once it reset the cable to the correct position.

With the Jaguar I think the reset mechanism is going on inside that tubular gizmo with the notches.

Doug

Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default On an older xk8

On the 97 Xk8, this adjustment is a little different and more like traditional cars. The circle is the area where you adjust 2 bolts. Mine was just off by just one full turn of the bolt. I idle just under 1000 rpms. The arrow is pointing to a vacuum that broke while I was cleaning the throttle. Had to go to auto part store to buy a new vacuum hose. They get brittle with the engine heat. Anyway, not much of a difference for me.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body Cable Adjustment = Original Power Restored ?-throttle.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by lunaticpro:
B o B (12-03-2014), giandanielxk8 (04-11-2013), Gregfromuk (12-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I wasn't sure in my own mind about the actual differences between the early and late model setup for pedal and throttle plate position sensing and have turned to JTIS and Jaguar product training documents to try and make sense of it.

The conclusion has to be that the pedal position learning procedure is only applicable to the later models fitted with an Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor. Throttle Cable adjustment is applicable to the early models.

LATER MODELS
The ECM monitors the angle of the accelerator pedal through the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor (circled in red):

Attachment 25928

This is my RHD vehicle. It's under the opposite side cover on LHD vehicles.

The APP sensor sends a signal to the ECM which is proportional to the angle of the accelerator. The APP sensor is connected to the accelerator pedal via an accelerator cable. The APP reverts to default settings after a battery disconnect and this is why resetting the pedal travel limits is required.

The ECM also monitors the angle of the throttle plate within the Throttle Body Housing through the throttle position (TP) sensor (circled in blue):

Attachment 25929

The TP sensor sends a voltage to the ECM which is proportional to the angle of the throttle plate. The voltage from the TP sensor increases with the angle of the throttle plate. There are two sensor tracks within the TP sensor.

The later vehicles therefore have two separately located sensors inputting pedal position and throttle plate to the ECU.

EARLY MODELS
The Throttle Body also has an accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor consisting of twin potentiometers which provide separate analogue input signals, proportional to driver demand to the ECM. As a further safety feature the two potentiometers have different input/output characteristics for unique signal identifications and any corrupt signal between the expected outputs will cause the ECM to switch the throttle to limp home mode.

The early models combine sensing of pedal position and throttle plate within the Throttle Body. This is why correct adjustment of the throttle cable is important on these models.

Graham
I have a strange problem with bored ( from 75mm to 81mm ) AJ26 TBs. Yes, with two oversized ones. The orginal 75mm TB works well, but when change to bigger one, the problems start again. When drive with stable speed and throttle position on a highway and then release the the throttle for exit the road, the gas pedal do not response at all. Idle revs drop to 400rpm, TP is 5% vs normal 1.9% at idle and AF is at rich side. After 1-3 restarts engine wakes up as normal. The pedal may lose the response in some other situations, and part of them can be dangerous in the public traffic. I need the bigger TB but can not live with this problem. Change back to stock TB always resolves the problem. I know the bored AJ26 TB bored by same guy has worked at least in a couple cars without problems. Why not in mine?

Is it possible that TPS should be recalibrated like this guy has made?

She's Fixed! TPS Problem Resolved! | Jeeves and the Jaguar

" The next part of this challenge was making sure the TPS was calibrated properly - start by disconnecting the battery. Because this part isn't meant to come off there isn't an exact science to this, but essentially you want to get it as close to how the other one was sitting as possible. You can rotate the TPS slightly (before you've screwed it down) to calibrate how the TPS will respond to the throttle. The TPS is essentially just a spring with a sealed sensor, and the part it hooks to on the throttle body is a just a pin that will push that spring. Rotate it too much one way and the car will floor it on start up and too much the other way and your throttle will feel completely limp. "

I appreciate if anybody has exact tips...

Last edited by XJR-99; 05-01-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

So this may be the best thread Ive found yet. I notice on xkr the cable is indeed loose. I didnt think anything of it. Well as I check my TB issue I will tighten this up as well and check my 2004 xjr! which responds a bunch better than my xkr ever did

Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Huge difference on my xkr...HUGE just an update

Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Actually, I get excited about the fact that pushing the pedal the same distance results in more power. Prior to the adjustment my engine would not develop full power. Now it does. That's something to get excited about!
Right here.... I'm doing this after work today.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

I didnt actually check my throttle position prior to doing the adjustment. However there was slack and I can not only notice the tip in throttle but also wide open throttle. Definitely check Love to hear your thoughts as well

Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I'm so glad this thread and the information provided by so many contributors is still getting a lot of views and making a difference. We truly appreciate all the feedback guys.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
OH MY LORD! That's what I'm talkin' about! I just took it for a drive with the newly adjusted throttle cable. I think I added 50 horsepower!

Many thanks for the video Sam I adjusted mine today What a difference.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I went to adjust mine but it appears it was already done. By the look of the threads.... but to be sure I had my neighbor press the accelerator as I manage to pull it a "lil" further (one thread).

How would I know for sure if it was done? I didn't improve any throttle improvements

Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Juke
I went to adjust mine but it appears it was already done. By the look of the threads.... but to be sure I had my neighbor press the accelerator as I manage to pull it a "lil" further (one thread).

How would I know for sure if it was done? I didn't improve any throttle improvements

As previously stated, it would be misleading to consider this to be a "performance improvement mod" but rather a routine adjustment to make sure that the throttle is opening correctly. Kind of like making sure all the spark plug wires are properly seated (probably a bad analogy). Once set you should theoretically not need to adjust again but it could be that things just slacken up over time. Consequently a routine look every so often couldn't hurt.

Doug

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 98% without adjustment

I guess I'm good to go. 98% on the first read with no adjustment. I'll verify by checking the cable position at wot when my copilot is around. Don't know why I'm not getting readings on the other position indicators.

Regards, Fred

Last edited by newXKRguy; 09-24-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

your reading is off of TPS position. You should still visually check

Old 12-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for this thread guys. I'm going to check mine this weekend :-)

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cable Adjustment = Original Power Restored ?