Default Re-inspired for Cam Instal

Originally Posted by Skooba Kowboy
Hey all,

Here is the correct order
Pin 1 is ignition 12v feed
Pin 2 for reverse gear switching
Pin 3 is ground

Sorry for the error
Thanks for that. My '03 XK8 mirror has recently started "sinking" as well. With the 12v ignition and ground easily available on pins 1 and 3, getting a hundred ma. for my dash cam up there seems much more do-able. I figure something like a S81250PG TO-92 to get the required 5vdc .. the cam has an internal Lipo. When I get to it, I'll post info, probably in a couple months. Cam is a Spy Tec A118 Full 1080P HD Video Car Dashboard (Amazon 80 clams).

Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The white and black wires accidentally hit each other and fried my entire car. I don't know what to do or where to begin, but tries to start, and stalls out a second after starting. Any ideas where to begin?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Medic_186
The white and black wires accidentally hit each other and fried my entire car. I don't know what to do or where to begin, but tries to start, and stalls out a second after starting. Any ideas where to begin?

Easiest thing to try first is disconnect the battery and do a hard reset - see if that fixes it.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by batroute
Easiest thing to try first is disconnect the battery and do a hard reset - see if that fixes it.
No dice.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Medic' s advice is the way to start but start looking at any fuses you mat have blown Go to your handbook to identify possible fuses but would start with the 2 fuses boxes under the hood/Bonnet on the LHS of the engine bay and even one of the relays may have been damaged .Easiest way to check them without removing fuses is to test with an Ohms meter for continuity with your multi meter .

Old 05-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Do the sun visor lights work? I remember in an old thread Gus mentioned that the same fuse that controls the visor lights also controls the fuel pump if I remember correctly. If not the fuel pump it was something that keeps the car from starting, not sure.

Gus's site has a lot of info
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 05-11-2015, 02:20 AM

Hi Medic the fuel pump fuse in the boot/trunk fuse box and is number 7 and is 20 amps .The fuse box is on the battery side at the rear of the car . At least this is so in my 2000 XJ8. Gus is very knowledgeable so check his idea .There are other fuses such as the one for the injectors that could blow and cause the problem.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:40 AM

LH Heelboard Fuse Box, Fuse #16, 10A was the culprit. I now have the car running again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Medic_186:
batroute (05-11-2015), Nigel Adelaide (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 05:12 AM

Have removed my 8 wire XJ8 Mirror easily and have sent it off to Sybesma. My emails with them been very helpful and I posted it off from Australia and they received it in 5 days and have now paid them on its arrival and expect it back in a week .Better than getting a second hand one that may go again and cheaper than new one .The cost was 95USD but 175USD including return postage to Australia which seems a bit heavy as it only cost $30 to send it to them in the USA but have confidence in them. Will report when reinstalled .

Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Medic,
I have been out of commission for a while but I was pleased to see others jumped in and helped resolve your issue.
Good to hear a happy ending.
Take care

The following users liked this post:
Nigel Adelaide (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 06:25 AM

Have just received my mirror back from Sybesma Electronics and they have done a perfect job with great service and the rain and light sensors working correctly. So glad I did this rather than get a second hand one that may have leaked the oily goo and damage the console. Fitting was easy as was removal after following instructions in the posts above .My only complaint was the cost of return postage .The cost for locals is $95 USD including return postage but for me in Australia it was $175 USD suggesting return post costing at lease $80 USD or over $100 AUD yet the cost for posting to the USA from Australia by Australia Post including a special box and packaging was only $30 AUD and it only took 5 days to arrive as they notifyed me when it arrived but took 2 weeks to come back Fed Express.
Still very pleased with the result as I am very particular.Thanks for all the advice .

Last edited by Nigel Adelaide; 06-02-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Apparently Jag windshields scare everyone

I really appreciate the detailed help posted in this thread.

I think this was the first thread I subscribed to on the forum. The '97 XK8 convertible I bought last month has the wonky mirror, and I will have it fixed soon. Thanks to the help generously provided in this thread, I'm sure I will get the mirror off just fine.

I do want to share the humorous info I got today when I was researching the possibility of having help with the mirror. I spoke with three different service providers, and got similar answers that amount to "I'm afraid to touch your mirror".

1. I was having the windshield on a different car replaced today, so I asked the windshield tech about removing the mirror on the Jag. He seemed knowledgeable about the anatomy of the clip, but declined to remove the mirror. He said it is too easy to break the windshield. He would have been happy to take the mirror off if he were replacing a broken windshield. He did a good job on the other car. I have no complaint about not taking on a surprise task.
  2. Then for grins I called the local Jaguar dealer (Jaguar Land Rover Austin). They told me two things that add up to "We really don't want to touch your car, ever". First, they said they don't like to work on pre-2001 cars since parts are hard to get. Then the service writer told me he spoke to multiple mechanics and all agreed that removing the mirror is risky. They will only do it if I sign a waiver in case of glass damage. I think I am OK with not taking my car to a Jaguar dealer afraid to work on Jaguars, especially my "antique".
  3. Then for grins I called a local indy shop (JagTechs), which has several mechanics from the old Jaguar dealer in town. They are not afraid of pre-2001 cars, but did insist on a damage waiver. They would also charge one hour of labor. I think I will be OK without taking my car to them either.
So I could pay a shop $100 to break my windshield. Or I can break my own windshield and have $100 to put toward having my friend from #1 replace it. Or I DON'T break my windhield and I spend the $100 on the mirror repair.

Bottom line: I expect to do a lot of my own work on the Jag, starting with removing my own mirror. Wish me luck!

Tom

Last edited by tlynch; 06-02-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:33 PM

Hi Tom
Good luck just take the top and bottom black plastic covers off gently by squeezing as clips can easily break then give the mirror base a good squirt of WD40/CRC lubricant 10 mins before you try to get mirror off and put a towel on top of the dash to catch WD40 and if mirror comes off and you hit the dash will stop any damage. Just pull downwards gently and can jiggle it a little but do not twist .All above I learnt from the forum and mine came off easily and screen fine .
Nigel

The following users liked this post:
tlynch (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel Adelaide
Hi Tom
Good luck just take the top and bottom black plastic covers off gently by squeezing as clips can easily break then give the mirror base a good squirt of WD40/CRC lubricant 10 mins before you try to get mirror off and put a towel on top of the dash to catch WD40 and if mirror comes off and you hit the dash will stop any damage. Just pull downwards gently and can jiggle it a little but do not twist .All above I learnt from the forum and mine came off easily and screen fine .
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. I appreciate the encouragement.

I'm starting to game-plan the connector. It occurred to me that the wire may keep the mirror from moving far enough to come off the post.

Tom

Old 06-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Default Wires on mirror

Hi Tom
yes you will need to remove both wiring plugs before you try to remove mirror. The larger white sometimes coloured top one that plugs into the interior lighting panel and the small black one at bottom of mirror for the rain sensor that is if you have this option fitted . The top lighting panel has one plastic plug in sunglasses pocket then slides off the two metal clips at windscreen.
Nigel

Old 06-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Kudos to the OP!

I just want to express my utmost, heartfelt gratitude to the original poster of this topic.

Last Tuesday or Wednesday, the electrochromic fluid in my mirror went off, displaying the bubble, just as in the original post, in my 2002 XJ8.

I hastily found a replacement mirror touted to be in excellent condition on Amazon, for a buck-fifty ($150). I couldn't order it fast enough, and the replacement mirror arrived today. Indeed, the mirror was excellent cosmetically. A damp cloth to brush off the dust, and a little bit of Oops! fluid to remove some sticker residue, and the mirror looked good as OEM new.

Due to this most excellent, helpful post, I had my failed mirror removed and the replacement attached in about 30 minutes - without breaking or cracking the windscreen. The repair took a little longer because on the replacement mirror I received, one of the side clips of the metal retainer was broken off, so I had to loosen the Torx-15 screw holding it in place, and swap it with the original mirror.

I once again have an auto-dimming mirror without the extremely annoying "3D rainbow" effect, along with the auto-headlamps and rain sensor.

In a couple of weeks, after recovering from this unexpected expense, I'll send off the failed mirror to Sybesma Electronics in Michigan to get it fitted with the replacement gel-filled glass pack, and I'll have a spare at the ready if or when the replacement I found on Amazon goes off.

BTW, I highly recommend Jaguar Services in Lansing, Illinois, for offering the replacement mirror at such a fantastic price on Amazon, and 3-day shipping via USPS Priority Mail. Thank you very much for saving me about $300, and keeping me in my kitty! Well done!

Cheers,
ZeroedIn

Old 06-10-2015, 10:58 PM

Glad all worked out the one you get redone by Sybesma with the gel instead of the oil that maybe in your second hand one is the safest to have in the car to avoid damage from the leaking oil onto your console.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo68
Took mine off last night and it has shipped today to get fixed!

However, i noticed a plug in the the header that is not connected to anything and looked it shouldn't be. My question is what is this BLUE ended plug?? Looks like it had 2 wires to it. Is that a RAIN SENSOR wiring???

I will take a pic if anyone doesn't know what I am talking about.
The blue plug is for the factory Cellular Phone microphone connection, which I have. Of course the 1997 phone is analog and doesn't connect to the digital networks these days!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:00 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by digi
Of course the 1997 phone is analog and doesn't connect to the digital networks these days!
Whilst I don't know regarding worldwide usage I can correct that in the UK the phone is digital but that it only works on the 900KHz band for O2 and Vodaphone. I would expect that as a digital phone it would also be digital everywhere else that digital phones were available in 1995 when the car was first launched

Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the USA we had analog cell phones in 1997. Europe was later to introduce cell phones, so GSM was already out. We had to convert our systems to digital, eventually obsoleting analog phones when the carriers finally went all digital.

Quick Reply: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Replacement