XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It looks like my xk8 has a dying tranny again. ZF and Jag will not see my business

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Put the shifter in 5 gear and drive it and see if you have the same issued. Going in 5 takes it out of OD. Also it will shift on its own from 1st. Is the trans making any noise?

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 10-31-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Put the shifter in 5 gear and drive it and see if you have the same issued. Going in 5 takes it out of OD. Also it will shift on its own from 1st. Is the trans making any noise?

Gus
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
No 5 just 4 (not the 6 speed) but yeah it still does the same stuff (although it doesn't kick down from a coast though as it is already in that lower gear). No noise from the tranny that I can tell. I do have yet another wheel bearing going (the 97s used too small of a bearing and they simply don't last if you actually "drive" the car with some spirit). It will be the 3rd bearing I've had to do in maybe 25k.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I would be hard pressed to make a diagnosis on your problem. It could be the trans or the valve body. My suggestion would call ZF North America and ask for technical support. I have done this when I had questions and they were most helpful.

But understand Don't Ask The Question If You Do Not Want To Hear The Answer.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 11-02-2016, 12:39 PM

Well Gus. Best thing I can say about zf is they answered the phone. Only technical assistance was where to send it. The liter of dead german fluid arrived today and added to spec. Took a tad over 250ml so i was even over optimistic when i said a half quart low. Took it out for a drive and when it did the same odd hesitation i finally determined what gear i was in. 3rd. Drove around for a half hour in 3rd and only does it when 1/4 or less on the throttle and increase with load. Then i drove in 2nd for the highest gear and nodda issue. Under more throttle acts normal. All signs to me point to a crappy rebuild done at the hands of zf in the throttle body area. No codes have been back in 800 miles.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

TreVorTasmin,

Keep this in mind. "Assumption is the route to most disasters" I read a lot of "assumes" in your comments......

Never [assume] anything when it comes to repairs or mechanics statements.

cheers

Old 11-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
TreVorTasmin,

Keep this in mind. "Assumption is the route to most disasters" I read a lot of "assumes" in your comments......

Never [assume] anything when it comes to repairs or mechanics statements.

cheers
All my assumptions are based on troubleshooting and having eliminated things. Again, it really doesn't matter as not a single (good or bad) tranny shop in a 50 mile radius of here will touch a zf. That speaks volumes on what they think of 'em. They will simply install a reman unit from an outside vender so they will say the same thing zf said. We'll pull it out and $4500 later we will send you a reman unit with a crappy warranty that has not resolved the design faults that lead to worn valve bodies, cracked valve bodies and broken a drums.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

When you called did you talk to a technical adviser or one of the phone answering people? I have had nothing but good input when I called them.

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Well Gus. Best thing I can say about zf is they answered the phone. Only technical assistance was where to send it. The liter of dead german fluid arrived today and added to spec. Took a tad over 250ml so i was even over optimistic when i said a half quart low. Took it out for a drive and when it did the same odd hesitation i finally determined what gear i was in. 3rd. Drove around for a half hour in 3rd and only does it when 1/4 or less on the throttle and increase with load. Then i drove in 2nd for the highest gear and nodda issue. Under more throttle acts normal. All signs to me point to a crappy rebuild done at the hands of zf in the throttle body area. No codes have been back in 800 miles.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
The liter of dead german fluid arrived today and added to spec. Took a tad over 250ml so i was even over optimistic when i said a half quart low.
Just to be 100% sure, you are checking fluid at the correct temperature and following the correct process?

Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Just to be 100% sure, you are checking fluid at the correct temperature and following the correct process?
Yup. Was pretty sure fluid wasn't an issue as my XK is the only cat that doesn't soil the litter box (she simply drinks oil) but yeah no issues with the fluid. It even looks nice and clean and smells horrible (not like some tasty burnt toast.

And Gus, yeah talked to a tech. or at least they put me on hold and then someone else came on.

Car has taken a notable turn for the worse today. Much harsher shifting and the other symptoms seems also to be doing the "running out of fuel" thing in more gears. Still haven't gotten a check engine light back on.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

can i make some observations: if you remove the level plug with engine off the transmission oil will/ should **** out / level should be taken when oil is at 40c with engine running.

The engine holding its revs does not sound like a power train issue.

I would change the transmission oil and filter after a rebuild as a matter of bedding in the transmission (oil recommend change at 36km according to oil manufacture. i change at 30k miles )

all the best i hope you solve your problem

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by apgwales
can i make some observations: if you remove the level plug with engine off the transmission oil will/ should **** out / level should be taken when oil is at 40c with engine running.

The engine holding its revs does not sound like a power train issue.

I would change the transmission oil and filter after a rebuild as a matter of bedding in the transmission (oil recommend change at 36km according to oil manufacture. i change at 30k miles )

all the best i hope you solve your problem
Between 30c and 40c yup.

The engine isn't holding its revs but the tranny is "running on" as if it is.

I am not able to rebuild a valve train nor is any trustworthy shop locally willing to even look at the tranny. The fluid in there now is at 18k (plus the 250ml I added that is on 15 miles) Fluid is in fine shape and I agree on a 30k change (have done that all my life with all my trannies). Seems ZF doesn't recommend fluid changes because they don't need to. Their remanned trannies stop working long before 30k.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 AM

All i can say, I can under stand your frustration but thing don,t add up. I have an XJ 2.7D with the six speed zf box and i am on 62 thousand miles and i have had no problems. I did change oil and filter 500 miles ago as a matter of service.
Before i bought my XJ I did do the rounds on faults with XJ and i did not come across any gear box issues.
Everyone i have spoken with has said the box,s are good. which makes me think you may have something else causing the problem.?

Old 11-06-2016, 07:52 AM

All i can say, I can under stand your frustration but thing don,t add up. I have an XJ 2.7D with the six speed zf box and i am on 62 thousand miles and i have had no problems. I did change oil and filter 500 miles ago as a matter of service.
Before i bought my XJ I did do the rounds on faults with XJ and i did not come across any gear box issues.
Everyone i have spoken with has said the box,s are good. which makes me think you may have something else causing the problem.?

62k is nothing for a tranny but I early the failures with later trannies as the 5hp24.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 PM

These ZF box,s use oil that does not conduct electricity. Has the right oil been put in ? check and see if its been contaminated and is conducting {long shot] it should smell the same as unused oil or there about.

TreVoRTasmin (11-11-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 05:30 PM

These ZF box,s use oil that does not conduct electricity. Has the right oil been put in ? check and see if its been contaminated and is conducting {long shot] it should smell the same as unused oil or there about.
ZF put the oil in themselves so I should hope it would be the right oil. Then again they had trouble rebuilding a transmission to last more than what the average car goes in a year so who knows.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:33 AM

How about resetting the box. Did some research last night all the functions are controlled by the TCM. UNLIKE old box,s which change up or down due to the speed of the box, you no what i mean. This box is told when to change by a map in the TCM depending on values coming from engine , box, accelerator, temp, speed , cruise control , hot running , cold running and so on.
found some interesting infor.
BMW cars which use the ZF BOX can reset the box by turning key all the way but not the starting engine AND then with your foot on the accelerator for 30 seconds resets the TCM. or why not reset the ecu as well remove the positive lead and touch it to the negative terminal that will discharge any capacitors, the ecu and tcm should then be clear LEAVE the battery off for some time just to make sure. just an idea?

Old 11-07-2016, 11:48 AM

This may contain some useful in formation my research whilst on my break last night " TCM. The TCM receives inputs from various engine or vehicle sensors and driver demands to
control shift scheduling, shift feel and torqueconverter clutch (TCC) operation.
The TCM has an adaptive learn strategy to electronically control the transmission which will automatically adjust the shift feel

Shift Quality Adapts
The shift quality adapts are used to obtain a high quality and consistant shift feel. This is achieved through monitoring shift quality and then adapting the shift pressures and shiftenergy management to overcome hardware variability and "in service wear".
It will typically take a new transmissionapproximately 161 kilometers (100 miles) of use to fully adapt.
Shift Point Selection
The gearshift points are selected by the TCM, as a function of the output speed, acceleratorpedal position, selector position and shift program selected. The driver has control over the shift points by the selector lever, acceleratorpedal movement and mode switch.
Transmission Shift selection
Shift Map Selection
The transmission control system utilizes a number of driver selectable operating modes and also a number of adaptive/automatically selectable modes. Sport, Normal and Cruise Control mode are all driver selectable.
Normal Mode
Normal mode can be selected by activation of the transmission mode switch located on the J-Gate. Once activated this mode will remain engaged until the driver deselects the mode or engages the cruise control system. If the driver engages cruise control when Normal mode is
active upon deactivation of the cruise system the transmission will automatically re-engage Normal mode. This mode can be over-ridden by
a number of adaptive modes. The mode switch is of the momentary type.
Cruise Mode
When the driver engages the cruise control system the TCM receives a CAN message transmitted by the Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC) or engine electronic controls which informs the TCM that cruise control is currently active. Upon receipt of this message the TCM selects a new transmission shift map. This map has been developed to reduce busy gearshift during cruise mode. It has also been developed to increase fuel economy.

Traction Control Mode is an adaptive mode, which is automatically engaged when a traction event occurs. When driving on slippery surfaces (i.e.sand, ice) it is possible for the driven wheelsto begin to spin. The TCM believes the vehicle speed is increasing and therefore it may begin to upshift. These upshifts reduce the torque at the wheel and so tend to reduce wheel slip. The downshift lines are forced downwards to prevent unwanted shifts. To reduce the effects of this, if a traction event occurs a signal is transmitted by the ABS module to the TCM over the CAN network, the TCM uses this signal to change the currently selected shift map. The new shift map will have gearshift lines further apart, thus inhibiting the transmission shifting to a lower gear.
Hill/Trailer Towing Mode
This is an adaptive mode. When the TCM detects reduced vehicle acceleration for a certain percentage of throttle opening then this mode is automatically engaged by the TCM. When this mode is engaged a new shift map and torque converter lock-up map is selected. This new shift map is designed to reduce the number of gearshifts when towing a trailer or with the car climbing a steep hill. The shift map will cause the transmission to hold on to gears for longer this increases acceleration and reduces the number of gearshifts. This mode can also give an advantage when driving at high altitudes, where the torque produced by an engine is greatly reduced by the effects of reduced ambient
pressure and airflow.
Driving Mode Priority
Each of the above modes has an associated priority i.e. Normal mode cannot over-ride cruise mode etc.
Adaptive Shift Strategies
The TCM of the six speed ZF automatictransmission incorporates adaptive strategies which improve the accessibility of the vehicle`s performance in driving conditions while maintaining a relaxed driving experience when cruising.
In "Sport" mode, accelerator pedal usage and cornering behaviour are monitored to assess driving style and road conditions. When an enthusiastic driving style or a demanding road is detected, 6th gear is inhibited and the lower gears are made slightly more accesssible in order to prevent unwanted "hunting" between gears. Conversely, when cruising conditions are detected, 6th gear is once again made available to maximise driving refinement and economy.
Under conditions of heavy braking, thetransmission will perform one or more downshifts to improve response to a subsequent accelerator pedal application. Similarly if the accelerator pedal is released rapidly following hard acceleration, one or more upshifts are inhibited to increase engine braking and also improve subsequent response. To complement these features, when a corner is detected transmission upshifts are inhibited. This inhibition is also maintained for a short distance after the corner allowing the driver to achieve a smooth balance through the bend without unwanted shifting mid-corner.
Safety features
The safety functions are designed to safeguard against mis-operation by the driver as well as against system malfunctions. The mis-operation system prevents reverse gear from being engaged at high forward speeds (Above 5 kph) and prevents manual downshifting at excessive engine speeds. Great attention has been paid to safeguarding against, and detecting, malfunctions in the electronic control system. The design of the electrical and diagnostic system is such that system integrity is protected at all times. The hydraulic system has "fail-safe" characteristics regarding its electrical energisation, i.e. as a result of the power supply being lost to the electro-hydraulic actuators the transmission engages a reliable emergency gear ratio to facilitate a basic limp-home mode. Recognition of critical shift operation by monitoring the last element in the signal path, i.e. the solenoid valve, and checking by means of
redundant measured variables, i.e. engine speed, input speed and output speed. Measures are in place which guarantee a high degree of availability of safeguard functions, i.e. monitoring of safety circuits. For this purpose each time the vehicle is started there is a check on the entire safety hardware, this is during TCM initialization and the associated program parts and signal paths used during the TCM operation status. A malfunction in this part of the system, or triggering of the safety circuit, will be communicated to the driver by theinstrument cluster message centre.

There pick the bones out of that Basically drive like you normally do for 100 Miles

BEST TO BE THOUGHT A FOOL….THAN SPEAK AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT….
S-Type 2.7D MY2006 you can find user and workshop manuals for X, XK8, XJ, and S-type etc it is free all in PDFhttps://www.mediafire.com/#8jcp20v4cx7t2

Barney100golf said:09-01-15 23:58

After a lot of digging through my stuff I have this

Carry out the adaptation drive cycle road test:
Note: This process must be carried out in normal mode (not sports
mode). On a flat road, the transmission fluid temperature must be above
60° C (140° f) and below 100° C (212° f) (vehicle at normal operating
temperature will ensure that the transmissionfluid temperature is above
60° C (140° f)).
9. Accelerate from rest with light throttle (do not exceed the upper rev limit in appendix 1).
1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts must occur with engine speed between the following limits:.
Note: Do not move the accelerator pedal during shifts.
• 3.0L VIN ALL 1800 - 2000 rpm
• 4.2L N/A Prior VIN M96321 1450 - 1600 rpm
• 4.2L N/A From VIN M963221550 - 1700 rpm
10. Continue to accelerate gently to 50 mph (80 km/h) so that transmission shifts into 5th
gear.
11. Go into overrun and let the transmissionshift down into 4th gear without braking.
12. Brake gently to a standstill and hold footbrake on for at least 15 seconds.
13. This process should be carried out at least five times.

this was from A tsb S307-17 and as a Note
: Inform the customer that after the adaptation clear and reconfiguration, the transmission shift quality will improve as the transmission adapts to the customer’s driving requirements.
Note: Inform the customer that after the adaptation clear and reconfiguration, thetransmission shift quality will improve as thetransmission adapts to the customer’s driving requirements.

S-Type 2.7D MY2006 you can find user and workshop manuals for X, XK8, XJ, and S-type etc it is free all in PDFhttps://www.mediafire.com/#8jcp20v4cx7t2

guitarjon said:10-01-15 00:02

Nice write up.

My my main issue is the hunting between gears when hovering at the same mph for a period of time. Going into sport mode sometime eliminates this but not always. 50mph is a paint as is 60mph. Even when in cruise. The lurches have become less frequent since the trip to the garage, as have the bangs on down change. They were never too common before but did happen and just takes away the nice relaxing driving style.

It could be that my own driving style changes often. I drive differently on a commute to work through busy traffic and lots of traffic lights thank do when I'm going to visit the in laws down south. The time of day I finish work also has an impact on my driving style, especially if he sun is shining. I'm convinced I have that SADs disorder. I'm always much livelier when the sun is out which reflexes in my driving.

2003 STR with all the goodies I can think off.

Barney100golf said:10-01-15 00:06

Hmm here is a tsb about harsh changeshttp://www.mediafire.com/view/0i6uyq..._mph_Stype.pdf

Jim_S-V6_2004 said:10-01-15 00:10

The ZF box continually calculates and stores the average values for each of the parameters it uses for many aspects of gearchanging - I have no idea what exactly of course, but the revs at which gears should be changed is obvious, both up and down, and also when to change up and down when how much throttle is being applied, and there must be others like how much engine load and so on.

So that is probably a lot of parameters. They are called "adaptions".

When you get them reset or "flattened" by the dealer, they are set to initial values and the learning starts from that moment. When the dealer mechies take the car out and make the initial test and setup under controlled conditions, this is to help avoid any wild sudden deviations in gearchanging which might be caused by a heavy-footed driver who then turns round and takes the car back, shouting at them that they must have "Effed "

Old 11-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Default Research ZF Transmission

This may contain some useful in formation my research whilst on my break last night " TCM. The TCM receives inputs from various engine or vehicle sensors and driver demands to
control shift scheduling, shift feel and torqueconverter clutch (TCC) operation.
The TCM has an adaptive learn strategy to electronically control the transmission which will automatically adjust the shift feel

Shift Quality Adapts
The shift quality adapts are used to obtain a high quality and consistant shift feel. This is achieved through monitoring shift quality and then adapting the shift pressures and shiftenergy management to overcome hardware variability and "in service wear".
It will typically take a new transmissionapproximately 161 kilometers (100 miles) of use to fully adapt.
Shift Point Selection
The gearshift points are selected by the TCM, as a function of the output speed, acceleratorpedal position, selector position and shift program selected. The driver has control over the shift points by the selector lever, acceleratorpedal movement and mode switch.
Transmission Shift selection
Shift Map Selection
The transmission control system utilizes a number of driver selectable operating modes and also a number of adaptive/automatically selectable modes. Sport, Normal and Cruise Control mode are all driver selectable.
Normal Mode
Normal mode can be selected by activation of the transmission mode switch located on the J-Gate. Once activated this mode will remain engaged until the driver deselects the mode or engages the cruise control system. If the driver engages cruise control when Normal mode is
active upon deactivation of the cruise system the transmission will automatically re-engage Normal mode. This mode can be over-ridden by
a number of adaptive modes. The mode switch is of the momentary type.
Cruise Mode
When the driver engages the cruise control system the TCM receives a CAN message transmitted by the Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC) or engine electronic controls which informs the TCM that cruise control is currently active. Upon receipt of this message the TCM selects a new transmission shift map. This map has been developed to reduce busy gearshift during cruise mode. It has also been developed to increase fuel economy.

Traction Control Mode is an adaptive mode, which is automatically engaged when a traction event occurs. When driving on slippery surfaces (i.e.sand, ice) it is possible for the driven wheelsto begin to spin. The TCM believes the vehicle speed is increasing and therefore it may begin to upshift. These upshifts reduce the torque at the wheel and so tend to reduce wheel slip. The downshift lines are forced downwards to prevent unwanted shifts. To reduce the effects of this, if a traction event occurs a signal is transmitted by the ABS module to the TCM over the CAN network, the TCM uses this signal to change the currently selected shift map. The new shift map will have gearshift lines further apart, thus inhibiting the transmission shifting to a lower gear.
Hill/Trailer Towing Mode
This is an adaptive mode. When the TCM detects reduced vehicle acceleration for a certain percentage of throttle opening then this mode is automatically engaged by the TCM. When this mode is engaged a new shift map and torque converter lock-up map is selected. This new shift map is designed to reduce the number of gearshifts when towing a trailer or with the car climbing a steep hill. The shift map will cause the transmission to hold on to gears for longer this increases acceleration and reduces the number of gearshifts. This mode can also give an advantage when driving at high altitudes, where the torque produced by an engine is greatly reduced by the effects of reduced ambient
pressure and airflow.
Driving Mode Priority
Each of the above modes has an associated priority i.e. Normal mode cannot over-ride cruise mode etc.
Adaptive Shift Strategies
The TCM of the six speed ZF automatictransmission incorporates adaptive strategies which improve the accessibility of the vehicle`s performance in driving conditions while maintaining a relaxed driving experience when cruising.
In "Sport" mode, accelerator pedal usage and cornering behaviour are monitored to assess driving style and road conditions. When an enthusiastic driving style or a demanding road is detected, 6th gear is inhibited and the lower gears are made slightly more accesssible in order to prevent unwanted "hunting" between gears. Conversely, when cruising conditions are detected, 6th gear is once again made available to maximise driving refinement and economy.
Under conditions of heavy braking, thetransmission will perform one or more downshifts to improve response to a subsequent accelerator pedal application. Similarly if the accelerator pedal is released rapidly following hard acceleration, one or more upshifts are inhibited to increase engine braking and also improve subsequent response. To complement these features, when a corner is detected transmission upshifts are inhibited. This inhibition is also maintained for a short distance after the corner allowing the driver to achieve a smooth balance through the bend without unwanted shifting mid-corner.
Safety features
The safety functions are designed to safeguard against mis-operation by the driver as well as against system malfunctions. The mis-operation system prevents reverse gear from being engaged at high forward speeds (Above 5 kph) and prevents manual downshifting at excessive engine speeds. Great attention has been paid to safeguarding against, and detecting, malfunctions in the electronic control system. The design of the electrical and diagnostic system is such that system integrity is protected at all times. The hydraulic system has "fail-safe" characteristics regarding its electrical energisation, i.e. as a result of the power supply being lost to the electro-hydraulic actuators the transmission engages a reliable emergency gear ratio to facilitate a basic limp-home mode. Recognition of critical shift operation by monitoring the last element in the signal path, i.e. the solenoid valve, and checking by means of
redundant measured variables, i.e. engine speed, input speed and output speed. Measures are in place which guarantee a high degree of availability of safeguard functions, i.e. monitoring of safety circuits. For this purpose each time the vehicle is started there is a check on the entire safety hardware, this is during TCM initialization and the associated program parts and signal paths used during the TCM operation status. A malfunction in this part of the system, or triggering of the safety circuit, will be communicated to the driver by theinstrument cluster message centre.

There pick the bones out of that Basically drive like you normally do for 100 Miles

Barney100golf said:09-01-15 23:58

After a lot of digging through my stuff I have this

Carry out the adaptation drive cycle road test:
Note: This process must be carried out in normal mode (not sports
mode). On a flat road, the transmission fluid temperature must be above
60° C (140° f) and below 100° C (212° f) (vehicle at normal operating
temperature will ensure that the transmissionfluid temperature is above
60° C (140° f)).
9. Accelerate from rest with light throttle (do not exceed the upper rev limit in appendix 1).
1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts must occur with engine speed between the following limits:.
Note: Do not move the accelerator pedal during shifts.
• 3.0L VIN ALL 1800 - 2000 rpm
• 4.2L N/A Prior VIN M96321 1450 - 1600 rpm
• 4.2L N/A From VIN M963221550 - 1700 rpm
10. Continue to accelerate gently to 50 mph (80 km/h) so that transmission shifts into 5th
gear.
11. Go into overrun and let the transmissionshift down into 4th gear without braking.
12. Brake gently to a standstill and hold footbrake on for at least 15 seconds.
13. This process should be carried out at least five times.

this was from A tsb S307-17 and as a Note
: Inform the customer that after the adaptation clear and reconfiguration, the transmission shift quality will improve as the transmission adapts to the customer’s driving requirements.
Note: Inform the customer that after the adaptation clear and reconfiguration, thetransmission shift quality will improve as thetransmission adapts to the customer’s driving requirements.

guitarjon said:10-01-15 00:02

Nice write up.

My my main issue is the hunting between gears when hovering at the same mph for a period of time. Going into sport mode sometime eliminates this but not always. 50mph is a paint as is 60mph. Even when in cruise. The lurches have become less frequent since the trip to the garage, as have the bangs on down change. They were never too common before but did happen and just takes away the nice relaxing driving style.

It could be that my own driving style changes often. I drive differently on a commute to work through busy traffic and lots of traffic lights thank do when I'm going to visit the in laws down south. The time of day I finish work also has an impact on my driving style, especially if he sun is shining. I'm convinced I have that SADs disorder. I'm always much livelier when the sun is out which reflexes in my driving.

2003 STR with all the goodies I can think off.

Barney100golf said:10-01-15 00:06

Hmm here is a tsb about harsh changeshttp://www.mediafire.com/view/0i6uyq..._mph_Stype.pdf

Jim_S-V6_2004 said:10-01-15 00:10

The ZF box continually calculates and stores the average values for each of the parameters it uses for many aspects of gearchanging - I have no idea what exactly of course, but the revs at which gears should be changed is obvious, both up and down, and also when to change up and down when how much throttle is being applied, and there must be others like how much engine load and so on.

So that is probably a lot of parameters. They are called "adaptions".

When you get them reset or "flattened" by the dealer, they are set to initial values and the learning starts from that moment. When the dealer mechies take the car out and make the initial test and setup under controlled conditions, this is to help avoid any wild sudden deviations in gearchanging which might be caused by a heavy-footed driver who then turns round and takes the car back, shouting at them that they must have "Effed "

Old 11-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Update,
So car has a borrowed battery from a local shop in it. (tested fine but talked him into it to narrow that out). Car of course ran pretty good for a couple of days. Got in it this morning. Put it in reverse which was fine then in drive and pulled out, stumbled for quite a bit. (1/4 mile or so and struggled to get to 25). Again not slipping or anything like that. Went to the store and then it drove fine home. No codes. Went to lunch about a 1/2 hour drive, same thing, kinda funky uptil it got up to speed and warmed up. Then no issues. Drove home, drove great (even got 30mpg average on the highway). Got home pulled the first code in weeks. p1798, cleared it. Pulled the tcu and reconnected it. Took it for a short drive and again drove fine. Got home and pulled the codes. Now it was saying p1794 (low battery voltage (of course the battery is brand new and reading 12.66 every morning I've gone out to check it). Alternator is charging just fine. 13.8/9ish at an idle 14.2 with some gas. Anybody have a pin chart for the TCU. Would like to measure what I have going into the TCU and also out to the tranny. Then next would be the voltage going to the tranny I guess to rule these out. Finally anybody have a spare TCU lying around LJA2400EA? Would pay shipping both ways of course to see if it might be an internal TCU issue. Still to me it feels very much like a pressure issue.

Oh and apgwales, thanks for the info. Will spend some time reading over it a couple times as it is a bit techincal and my mind wanders when it starts to hurt.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The transmission has a valve body ( that is your shifting) that takes command from the transmission control module (TCM) that takes commands from the shifter selector and all is directed by the engine control module. You put it in gear “D” the TCM says ok you want to go forward. The TCM talks to the valve body and the transmission is ready to go. When you accelerate the ECM and TCM are talking and making the decision on when to shift based on the engine conditions and RPM and a few other things. Along with the valve body that is telling the transmission what gear to be in the 2 speed sensors in the transmission are reading the input and output speeds of the drives in the transmission.

I am assuming that the engine is running properly so let’s move on to the transmission.

Because you are having shifting issues I would focus on the shifter selector switch, TCM and valve body. Since you say the shifter is adjusted properly and the battery is good and the fluid level is correct we can move on to the TCM and the valve body. Now the TCM can be sent to ACI to have it tested and I have done this they can make repairs if necessary. As for the valvebody you can take pin readings at the plug at the TCM or at the transmission, I did it at the TCM. However, it will only tell you if the shifter solenoids and speed sensors are good it will not tell you if one of the valves in the valve body are sticking or stuck.

How many miles do you have on this rebuilt transmission?