XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential XK8 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

RUN from that car if you have not got it These Jags are not old Mustangs or the like where things are simple to fix. You named a few things wrong with it, once you got it up and on the road you will see more things come about. It got water in it, **** fiddled with, it is a 97, KNOWN for its main computer issues. Front suspension stuff you may not see that IS lurking on a car that is 20 years old. Most everyone will agree the suspension is weak on these if not taken car of.
Like I said, RUN.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I don't think anyone spoke about the timing chain tensioners. 97-02 have crap parts, making that a MAJOR weak point. If that goes, your trans issue is trivial! read up about the issues here, PLEASE. If you want this type of jag, got the money, get a 03 or newer.
Anything older and you don't know about the timing chain issues, you MUST open it up and check them. I recall few threads here where someone did not know the history of repairs on 97-02 opened it up and found all ok.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
I don't think anyone spoke about the timing chain tensioners. 97-02 have crap parts, making that a MAJOR weak point. If that goes, your trans issue is trivial! read up about the issues here, PLEASE. If you want this type of jag, got the money, get a 03 or newer.
Anything older and you don't know about the timing chain issues, you MUST open it up and check them. I recall few threads here where someone did not know the history of repairs on 97-02 opened it up and found all ok.
Thank you ALL for your advice and support. I may still grab this if they're willing to give me a fantastic price that I could walk away from if disaster strikes. But at least if I dive in it will be with eyes wide open. Wrenching on cars for me is as much about the journey as the destination, so just slowly knocking out the projects has an attraction independently of the final product. but that being said, I don't want to spend a hundred hours and $5,000 for a $4,000 car....

This seems to be a great community here. I hope I can cross paths with you again as an owner, with this one or another at some point in the future.

-Peter

Old 12-09-2016, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
There is absolutely no reason to avoid an older XK just because of the tensioners - if they haven't been done it's a cheap and easy DIY fix to replace the secondary tensioners which are the big risk area. The whole set can also be done cheaply by DIY or just budget into the purchase price to get them changed professionally if they are a concern.

To avoid the gearbox problems associated with the 5 speed ZF box, get the XKR with the Mercedes gearbox. Either way there is no reason to avoid the older cars, provided you know what you are getting into.