Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Brian you are the man!

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
Any time glad I could help!

Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Brian - I tried reworking one edge trace on my seat control board over a year ago and failed. You have 100% success! That's not just luck. Is the problem always a damaged edge trace? Do you have ways of checking out more aspects of a seat control module, like failed components? I'm in Culver City and work in El Segundo, so if you're in Manhattan Beach, we're neighbors. Thanks. Mark 310-988-6184

Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I find that most of the time, a jumper wirre is necessary to fix the open. They always run along the edge due to the way it rests on the housing. The most common break require a wire to be soldered between an IC and a relay. This is for the seatback forward control. Let me know if you need help.

The following users liked this post:
markaltobelli2002 (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks, Brian. IC to relay sounds foolproof if I can't patch the edge trace.

Are pin-out assignments for the connector to seat module and/or schematics of the board available somewhere? I can't find where the forum has technical info stashed, though I've read it's here somewhere. Please help me navigate to it. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM

OK, at least I found the technical data area, thanks to recent Moderator email. But if the seat module pin-outs or schematics aren't in there, I'm still interested. Thanks

Old 11-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The module pinouts can be found in the electrical diagram's on Gus' website:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just wanted to say that I had kind of the same problem in my 99. The seat forward and back button made a noise but didn't move, but all the other controls worked.

I went to try to find the module, lifted up the seat, it must have been stuck on the wires or something down there, because now it goes forward and backward, so I moved it back, and put it back down, it is stuck again from going forward and backward, but at least now I can put the seat in the proper driving position and drive it.

May help someone out

Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

While removing the driver-side floor mat in my wife's XK8 last evening to shake the dirt and leaves out of it, I noticed that her driver-side seat module is loosely in place underneath the seat and appears to be held together by a red-colored zip-tie strap. Checking the passenger-side seat module, it was tightly in place underneath the seat with no evidence of any zip-tie straps....

Should I assume this means that at some point her driver-side seat module failed and has been pulled out, had its circuit board re-soldered, and re-installed?

Is this strictly a DIY fix by the savvy owner, or have Jaguar dealership techs been known to do these repairs as well? I would not be surprised if Brutal has done this repair for some of his customers to save them considerable money....

Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Fuses first, #1 and #8 on the driver's fascia fuse panel.

The cars have a history of rubbing through the wiring insulation under the seat.

If fuses are good might try swapping the seat control module with the passenger side. Two small bolts each and the connectors make this a easy job. The modules have a history of breaking a circuit board conductor along the edge. Several members have repaired with a small piece of wire and solder.
Blown fuse (#1) for me. Not sure why it went, but I guess it was just its time.

Best wishes, Colin

Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aardvark64
Blown fuse (#1) for me. Not sure why it went, but I guess it was just its time.

Best wishes, Colin
If it happens again, chances are there is a wire chafing against the seat frame under the seat.

aardvark64 (04-29-2013)
Old 09-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiii i have a problem with my passenger saet > Head rest is working but recline and forwards backwards is not working anymore . My seat is blocked in a position that i can't reached the fixing bolt of the rails . Any boby with a solution how i can remove my seat now to check the seat control box Thanks

Old 09-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The seat control module is held onto the bottom of the seat with a couple 10mm bolts if I remember correctly. Perhaps they will be easier to get to than the seat bolts. Removing the harness connector gives you access to the pins for jumping control of the seat motors.

marcvb (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 08:46 AM

Thanks a lot I will try that way Any way which pins are activating the forward and backward movement ?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:02 PM

hii test point
I could remove the seat module thanks to your information .
I switched the driver seat module with the Passenger seats module .
Results The module doesn't work on the driver seat and the drivers seats module works perfectly on the passengers seats . I opened the one that is not working . Nothing seems broken or burned inside . Is it possible there is a problem with the program ? Anyway i found a second hand one of a later XK . The part number is LNC2160AD and works perfectly Thanks again for all the information

Old 02-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Hi guys, I have a 98 XK8 conv...my module is bad; swapped them from passenger and driver seat to prove that. real interested in trying to repair those traces and xkrBrian has had much success; anyone else?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gersola
Hi guys, I have a 98 XK8 conv...my module is bad; swapped them from passenger and driver seat to prove that. real interested in trying to repair those traces and xkrBrian has had much success; anyone else?
Lots of folks have repaired theirs. It is actually easier to do if you solder wires to the endpoints of the traces than try to repair the traces themselves. Use a 15 W soldering iron and fine flux core solder intended for electronics work to avoid damage to the circuit board from excessive heat.

View a few YouTube videos on electronics soldering basics if you have never done this before.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a similar 'no movement' problem with my seat so I'm in for the same exercise. Does anyone know why the tracks break an does it need a mod to prevent it re-occurring after the module is put back?

Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 PM

Where's a good place to have my bad seat modules repaired? I tried the repair, unsuccessfully. Have six dead modules (and two good, on 4 XK8's). I'd rather have mine tested and repaired than gamble by buying used ones.

My greatest wish, by the way:
Is there an XK8 mechanic or shop in Los Angeles area, honest and expert, able and willing to correctly diagnosis and repair XK8s cost-effectively? Or at least, honest and expert? Thanks

Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimforrest (uk)
I have a similar 'no movement' problem with my seat so I'm in for the same exercise. Does anyone know why the tracks break an does it need a mod to prevent it re-occurring after the module is put back?
It is usually the tracks on the edge of the board that break. The plastic case was poorly designed and rubs against them. Also environmental contamination and liquid spills get on the edge of the board and corrodes the thin copper traces. The board should have been coated with a sealant if it was properly designed.

Soldering wires to replace the broken traces bypasses the susceptible traces and should be a permanent fix.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Thankyou White. I'll take a look when I get mine out.

Quick Reply: Power Seat Stopped Working!!!