XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement leather seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Matt, how did the replacement go? Did you do it yourself?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Leather is here! They forgot to send the cupholder piece, and so it is on its way. This is the only kit that I found that included not only the armrest, but the cupholder leather. My appt is scheduled for this friday, and no...going to let the professionals do the seats, but I will probably tackle the armrest and cupholder since I've done it once already when I repadded it. My estimate was $400 for the seats and headrests. I can't wait.

The leather looks like suede on the underside, and it is really really supple! The old seats, including the rear, are more of a harder, slicker, hide. These feel like that new leather jacket from the mall. Some pics???? You got it!

Last edited by H20boy; 12-15-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: not autolux leather
Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I got offer of $365 shipped, for new driver seat leather from Topsonline. Good deal?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Considering I paid $755 for both seats and the center stuff, that's $12 shy of 1/2.
Maybe add another $25 and ask for the center console too. couldn't hurt.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Leather is here! They forgot to send the cupholder piece, and so it is on its way. This is the only kit that I found that included not only the armrest, but the cupholder leather. My appt is scheduled for this friday, and no...going to let the professionals do the seats, but I will probably tackle the armrest and cupholder since I've done it once already when I repadded it. My estimate was $400 for the seats and headrests. I can't wait.

The leather is Autolux, which is the same soft leather as the VDP have received (looks like suede on the underside, and it is really really supple!) The old seats, including the rear, are more of a harder, slicker, hide. These feel like that new leather jacket from the mall. Some pics???? You got it!

I see you had all that fresh leather laid out on the "playpen". Did you sleep on it too??

Last edited by hlgeorge; 03-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Say h20boy, really nice hides! They should show great installed. I really like the pebble grain look. Looking forward to your follow up report on the whole process.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

car is at the upholsterer as I type...center console will have to be done by myself tonight since I still haven't received the extra cupholder piece from topsonline yet. I didn't want to disassemble it twice.

Pics and QC report either tonight or tomorrow!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at topsonline and the only seats available appeared to be Mercedes. How were you able to get the Jaguar seats? Let us know how it works out.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Colorado, link to 2000 w/o center console, and link to 2000 WITH center console leather. Apparently, the 2000MY included the redesigned seats w/ separate headrests toward the end of the production year. If your seats have the separate headrests, order the second link. If they don't, I would order the first link, and determine if you need the center console leather...maybe work out the extra cost with them after the sale.

Report coming (installer screwed up my driver headrest, its not moving, looks crooked and motor smells when its operated...somethings bound up. I have to pull the new seat cover up to make sure cable is good.

Last edited by H20boy; 03-24-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added the two seat designs for 2000 MY
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Default Seat cover on topsonline website

Originally Posted by ColoXK8
I looked at topsonline and the only seats available appeared to be Mercedes. How were you able to get the Jaguar seats? Let us know how it works out.
Hi ColoXK8, we just started the seat cover catagory on the website, next 2 weeks it will be completed and after that will be updated daily.
Thank you
Vic

Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Vic,

If you want to enable some of the DYI on the board create a YouTub of the replacement work. I know you will recomend a Pro but that is the tipping point for many of us. From what I read for the older ones without the headrest it is not that hard to do, just takes time.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by scottatl
Hey Vic,

If you want to enable some of the DYI on the board create a YouTub of the replacement work. I know you will recomend a Pro but that is the tipping point for many of us. From what I read for the older ones without the headrest it is not that hard to do, just takes time.
Hi Scott, that is a great idea, if one of the Upholstery shops close to me orders a set, i will get someone to video tape the installation and either post it online or include a DVD of the installation with the covers.
you are correct, the early 97-2000 is much easier straight forward installation.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Veteran member

sorry for the delay, center armrest kicked my butt. I broke the cupholder in three diferent way and I couldn't get the leather trimmed back so it would fold as tight as the original cover, my corner wrapping suck! In addition, Vic, the extra leather piece you sent me has a different finish than the rest of the original set of skins...like it was freshly dyed, very flat. It didn't match exactly. I'm sure now that you're packaging the set cut from the same materials will prevent any future chances for a mismatch, so future purchasers, don't worry about that detail as a deterrent.

As such, i'm ordering a new armrest...complete with cupholder. I just cleaned up the seats tonight from the installer, and its sitting overnight with some leatherique conditioner. If its light outside when I get home, i'll take those pics I promised ya...just ignore the missing center console armrest.

Its so nice not to see those cracks and scuff marks when exiting and entering the car, so very glad I did this.

And I fixed the boundup headrest, I think the installer overtightend the interior clamps, and it restricted one of the posts from moving vertically. I did get it loosened and it now works correctly. Since it was bound, the headrest motor cable sheath re-separated, and i had to rework the splice repair. Same way as before, roughen the sheath, heat shrank it, zip tie to the adjoining frame structure.

Good things about these new seat leathers

(1) armrest leather has padding, built it (sewn)
(2) the bottoms of the seats, where the OEM used to have cloth pieces to tuck into/around the hinges and trim, is now leather. Its much easier to keep clean.
(3) stitching and color is a perfect match to the originals
(4) my seats didn't need any additional padding, installer said it was a beeotch to get the new ones on, they were really tight! Those 'integrated' pleats, with padding is so much nicer, and comfortable.

My installer needs to re-staple the headrests, they are already falling out!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM

what did you have to pay for the seats from topsonline and did they come with instructions. on a scale of 1-10 what was the level of difficulty to install, thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 PM

sorry for the delay, center armrest kicked my butt. I broke the cupholder in three diferent way and I couldn't get the leather trimmed back so it would fold as tight as the original cover, my corner wrapping suck! In addition, Vic, the extra leather piece you sent me has a different finish than the rest of the original set of skins...like it was freshly dyed, very flat. It didn't match exactly. I'm sure now that you're packaging the set cut from the same materials will prevent any future chances for a mismatch, so future purchasers, don't worry about that detail as a deterrent.

As such, i'm ordering a new armrest...complete with cupholder. I just cleaned up the seats tonight from the installer, and its sitting overnight with some leatherique conditioner. If its light outside when I get home, i'll take those pics I promised ya...just ignore the missing center console armrest.

Its so nice not to see those cracks and scuff marks when exiting and entering the car, so very glad I did this.

And I fixed the boundup headrest, I think the installer overtightend the interior clamps, and it restricted one of the posts from moving vertically. I did get it loosened and it now works correctly. Since it was bound, the headrest motor cable sheath re-separated, and i had to rework the splice repair. Same way as before, roughen the sheath, heat shrank it, zip tie to the adjoining frame structure.

Good things about these new seat leathers

(1) armrest leather has padding, built it (sewn)
(2) the bottoms of the seats, where the OEM used to have cloth pieces to tuck into/around the hinges and trim, is now leather. Its much easier to keep clean.
(3) stitching and color is a perfect match to the originals
(4) my seats didn't need any additional padding, installer said it was a beeotch to get the new ones on, they were really tight! Those 'integrated' pleats, with padding is so much nicer, and comfortable.

My installer needs to re-staple the headrests, they are already falling out!
Hi Matt,
i cut the leather from the same exact leftover hide, maybe the difference in pattern is where i cut it from (side).
since you had difficulty wrapping the cup holder, i might find a way to shave the backing so it is more flexible, what you think?
Thank you
Vic

Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

Ok, here's the pics, had to setup some studio lights since it was getting dark when I got home.

Vic, first, there's a picture of the piece of leather you sent me, atop the new armrest section. you can see it is a slightly darker shade, and the sheen is a little flatter.

As for your idea about the cupholder piece, I think if it is a bit thinner (shaved from the back) it would wrap the corners better, and not have the sharp, folded look like mine turned out on those smaller radii.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Looks really nice. So, about $1200 parts & labor? It sounds like the installation was best left to a pro. Often in older cars, when the covers get old & tired, so does the foam underneath. Sounds like yours was OK. I might be tempted to try to install myself but I'm guessing I'd regret it.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Ok, here's the pics, had to setup some studio lights since it was getting dark when I got home.

Vic, first, there's a picture of the piece of leather you sent me, atop the new armrest section. you can see it is a slightly darker shade, and the sheen is a little flatter.

As for your idea about the cupholder piece, I think if it is a bit thinner (shaved from the back) it would wrap the corners better, and not have the sharp, folded look like mine turned out on those smaller radii.

Matt, seats look good but not perfect, i don't know who done the installation, but i tell you the very last step of the installation is to have a heat gun on one hand and with the other hand massage the wrinkles out, that process takes close to 1/2 hour but after done the seat covers & the headrest covers will look like fitted like a glove. what i dexribed is a very common step on any Leather covers, Vinyl covers are the opposite (use heat gun while installing).
Vic

Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

heat gun...check! Got it, and will work the wrinkles out myself, after I google a youtube video of someone else doing it first. I'd hate to burn the dang thing!

Added pics of what it used to look like...

Last edited by H20boy; 03-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Topsonline - would you reccomend for (or against) this as a DIY project for someone who has never done this before (but has a "reasonable" level of mechanical skill)? Do the covers come with installation instructions?

Quick Reply: Replacement leather seat covers