XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Marker Faults?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Side Marker Faults?

Hey all. I ordered and installed a set of leaping cat badges for my 03 XK8. Basically they replace the side marker lights. They are designed to hold the side marker harness in place by removing the bulb socket via the clip attaching the harness to the badge and reinstalling the clip (nice design). However now I am getting a few faults on the dash. Red ,, indicators illuminating on the left and right side of the message window. Two small flashing dots (lights) on the base of the speedo needle. Also an audible alarm that sounds like a radar detector. They are intermittent but, do come up fairly often.

These badges where marked Jaguar and built to Jaguar specs in the UK. I cannot find anything in the manual for these faults.

I'm guessing the circuit is not sensing the bulbs and giving me these faults?

These badges are secured by an adhesive strip rather than the clips on the original side marker assemblies. So I figure I would have to take a heat gun to them to remove them reinstall the bulb sockets and bulbs and just leave them hanging in the wheel well area. Kinda hate to do that because I like the way the harness secured to the badges.

Is there any way around this? Am what I seeing on the dash indicators side marker faults?

As always, thanks in advance just looking for some guidance and not looking to do what I described above.

Cheers!

Andrew

Old 10-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoreguy
However now I am getting a few faults on the dash. Red ,, indicators illuminating on the left and right side of the message window. Two small flashing dots (lights) on the base of the speedo needle. Also an audible alarm that sounds like a radar detector. They are intermittent but, do come up fairly often.
I'm guessing the circuit is not sensing the bulbs and giving me these faults?

Am what I seeing on the dash indicators side marker faults?

As always, thanks in advance just looking for some guidance and not looking to do what I described above.

Cheers!

Andrew
Howdy Andrew:
In part, what you are describing sounds strongly to be a custom installed K40 Radar detector which can indeed appear as a "factory" unit. Photos or a video of such indicator dash lamps/audible alarm may help us. Try snooping around the driver's arm reach for a hidden control switch. Also snoop under the front and rear bumpers/grille for hidden sensors. You would not be the first to discover this type detector.
I say this as I discovered mine, but it was only semioperational as the front radar sensor had a bad connection which I did repair. Since then a few on this forum have described findings similar to yours, and in all the cases that I have seen, it turned out to be a K40.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:23 AM

Hey Dr D

Thanks for the response. It is deffinately a radar detector. I contacted K40 and they were very helpful by emailing me an owners manual but, I don't think it is one of theirs. My indicators are even more integrated it truly looks factory made. I did however, find a knob located under the dashboard I believe is the control for the system. Need to play with it some more.

Just what these cars need more electronics! Geez

Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

if the control is like mine it is a single volume control with a 3 position outer ring town off country.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Default You are correct sir

Dr. D you are the man. Yep, it is a k40. Poked around and found the marked sensors and yes, I have the inner and outer control knob. Pretty sweat system and an unexpected find.