XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stability Control Fail, ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

abs light. faulty traction, stability failure, ... is followed, when starting, running, restarting usually clear, sometimes persists.
12.6 volt battery. new. , Clean sensors, cables are fine. chips and connectors clean.
I can only repair abs module. This weekend I'm going to.
have to bleed the brakes after connecting? ...

xkr 2001. 19,000 milles

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

I didn't bleed the brakes, and no problems, but it's not a bad idea.
RJ_________________
97 XK8 86K mi

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

The link below also has a testing procedure that was made for a 1999 xk8 and I think it will be the same for your 2001 xk8. I hope this helps.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

rj237 good thing, GUS... his site is a great help for me, I'm from Argentina, I am far, I find the language, congratulations on your page and thanks for sharing your experience, also the videos of sam.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ra.stewart
Our car came to us with both lights on. I tried to clean the sensors and checked each wire for a proper reading, lots of posts here about that. In the end I sent the module off to a guy on eBay who repaired It for a little bit over $50 and it was back in about a week. I was just guessing at that point and it fixed my troubles. A guy I know who is a tech told me many ABS modules fail just like this. There are threads about fixing it yourself, but I decided to let someone who knows what he's doing take care if it for such a minimal investment.
Any chance you have the name and address of the guy who repaired your unit on EBay? I just had my 2001 xk8 convertible inspected yesterday and the mechanic said I had a shot ABS module.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

This is a link to ASI that will make repairs to your ABS unit

Link Welcome To Auto ECU Inc.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM

THANKS GUS!

I'm not confident about handling this on my own (never worked on anything like this), but I am going to see if I can reach out to an old mechanic I used to use and see if he'll do the labor for me and I'll send out the part.

Do you think I need the code from the Jaguar dealer, or can I just send out the part with my VIN number for refurbishing?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

From what I know about my TB rebuild and others you receive the same unit back once you tell them to rebuild. However, jot the number of your unit before sending it out for repair.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Thanks Gus,

This should save a bundle!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I had an intermittent ABS, ASC & Trac. problem for 2 years. Came on permanently a couple weeks ago. Did all the usual checks, finally pulled the ABS module and resoldered the pump pin connections on the circuit board. Crossed my fingers and started the car, all lights are now out. Hope it stays that way.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at the service history of my car this has been an on/off thing for years. The ABS module was rebuilt by autoecu I think in 2011 before I bought it from the sticker on it.

I just went through the abs/trac out message and dash lights coming on and then going off etc as well. My local jag mechanic, britishcarsusa.com, used his computer to diagnose it as a front left sensor fault. I cleaned all the sensors and it hasn't come back since, fingers crossed. So getting a computer diagnosis is a good idea before going all out on it. He charged me 55 to diagnose it.

The following users liked this post:
Gus (01-31-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Beware diagnoses based on scans

I paid $70 for my Jag dealer to diagnose my ABS light and he scanned it and said to replace the left front sensor cable, not the sensor. I had already cleaned them all so I bought and installed the cable and it turned out to be the module. I sent mine out for $50 on line but if I did it again I would solder it myself - it looked pretty straight forward.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Default Easy Fix

After reading through the forum and some other comments I found online, I decided to try the simplest methodology first. I attached my trickle charger to the battery for 24 hours (it has been cold here, my 2001 xk8 sits idle in the garage during the winter, that's why the body looks brand new!). Low and behold, the extra juice alleviated the problem.

Unfortunately I now truly believe that the Jaguar dealer that I have serviced with looks to replace whatever they can even if the parts might not be damaged or worn to that point. I'm sure like many others who visit the forum, we aren't mechanics, certainly unskilled to perform diagnosis, and are generally at the mercy of the repair shop. I had assumed that a Jaguar dealer might be legit, more so than some general mechanic. WRONG!

I caught these guys trying to charge me for a ding on a loaner that I had the valet mark on my own condition copy when I took the car out. I also had a repair refused by my insurance company that they claimed caused other lights to stay on (once the lights were reset it never happened again without the attempted repair nearly two years ago. It's a real problem.

If anyone knows a legitimate, skilled mechanic for Xk8s in Long Island NY, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default tone rings filled with gunk

In addition to the ABS/Stability Control Failure light coming on whenever it wanted to…. The ABS pump OR ASC would activate on dry roads…. I could feel the pump activating in the brake pedal when coming to a stop light and feel ASC (blinking) activating when climbing up a hill. Both instances were immediately followed by ASC/SCF light coming on…. I live in snowy climate and have felt that situation on snow pack roads before.... After running the gauntlet of ringing out each individual WSS, pulling and tugging on each removed WSS wire harness while ringing, each harness from wheel plug end to pump plug end individual pins, ringing the pump and module, doing a voltage ping test from each WSS. Did everything twice btw. I still got the ABS/Stability Control Failure light and dry road pump OR ASC activation…. Until I CLEANED THE TONE RINGS. They had a thin layer of gunk around the perimeter, almost like they had been spray painted with brown paint. SO the system was working hence the Pump and ASC activation but the system computer wasn't getting the signal of a rotating tire/ring thru the WSS because of the gunk on the ring so it did its job as if the tire was locked up as if sliding on snowy roads. I took the WSS out and sanded the perimeter of all tone rings. IDK if they are suppose to have that factory anti rust film but at that point I didn't care. After sanding (5 weeks ago) I haven had a issue. Sorry for the long explanation but the keywords here are "ABS pump activating on dry roads."

Old 12-22-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

Maybe the prior owner had a love of WD40, the most overused product in the automotive world.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 xk8 warning lights

An interesting story. For the past few years I've been getting intermittent warning lights. They are either traction control ABS restricted performance or stabiltrak. They seem to randomly appear. Mechanics have viewed the codes and done complete tune ups. Changing the plugs and wires. That didn't fix the issue.
The other day on a whim I decided to try some octane boost. Strangely that seemed to fix the issue. Until the next time I filled up and the traction control ABS and restricted performance lights appeared again. So I threw someoctane boost again and immediately the warning lights went off. This made no sense to me because I didn't think the boost could make a difference so quickly. Then I started to think of the issue be related to removal of the fuel cap. So I filled up yesterday and Sure enough The warning lights were back. I opened and closed the fuel cap and the lights went off. Is it really possible that the fuel cap could be causing these problems and simply getting a new one will make them all go away?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Was it the removal of the fuel cap (which will depressurize some of the emission system) or just opening the gas access door (electrical switch) ?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Was it the removal of the fuel cap (which will depressurize some of the emission system) or just opening the gas access door (electrical switch) ?
It was removal of the fuel cap.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Update:
Two weeks ago the stability control failure/ABS light popped up. It was at 28 p.s.i. Got that hole fixed and dash board has been clear since then. I did have that scenario last year but forgot to mention it in the earlier post.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (01-20-2015)
Old 06-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Default 97 xk8 abs

Originally Posted by Gus
This is a link to ASI that will make repairs to your ABS unit

Link Welcome To Auto ECU Inc.
I used ASI over 10 years ago on my 97 XK8 for rebuilding the ECU/ECM. It sat for a few years in the heat and it went out again, so I called them and in seconds they verified my earlier rebuild. I paid for shipping about $15 each way. I had it back in about a week. Now it's on the ABS module. They will check it and tell me if it needs rebuilt or not. If it does, they'll take care of it in no time.

Quick Reply: Stability Control Fail, ABS light on