Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Battery charging issue /Help! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/battery-charging-issue-help-236791/)

FIRE550 08-26-2020 03:26 PM

Battery charging issue /Help!

I haven't driven the car in a few days and when I got in it, it said low battery start engine. I started it quickly, shut it off and decided to hook it up to a trickle charger. I fully charged it then disconnected the tricked charger and then locked it with the key fob. Didn't drive it at all, Everything's fine. Went away for a few days came back home and neither of my key fobs will work to open the doors. I used the key inside of the fob to get in and the car is completely dead. I opened the Hood and currently have the charger back on it charging. While it was charging the yellow strips under the headlights blinked for about 30 seconds then shut off, really weird. Does anyone have insight to what my problem might be?
This is a 2016 F Type R with only 8200 miles on it.
Is it potentially just a bad battery or does my problem seem like something bigger? Please help anyone who has knowledge on this.
Thank You.
Eric

Noshame 08-26-2020 03:39 PM

Did you plug into the OBD port lately. If so you may need to do the battery disconnect reset.

sov211 08-26-2020 04:01 PM

It is a battery issue, nothing more. Is the battery the original one? Do you drive it often enough and long enough to keep it fully charged? If the answer is not YES, then you have found the problem. But the first thing I would do is to do a hard reset of the system: disconnect the battery by removing the lead at the stud in the trunk floor. After 30 seconds or so, reconnect.
i had to do this once last year when that same "battery low" message came up, despite the CTEK unit telling me that the battery was fully chrged. No issues since.

FIRE550 08-26-2020 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Noshame (Post 2280589)
Did you plug into the OBD port lately. If so you may need to do the battery disconnect reset.

Actually yes - right before this happened I had a check engine light and plugged into the OBD port from Auto Zone. It gave me a code P013E - O2 sensor delay response - rich to lean BANK 1 sensor 2. The check engine light went off by itself so not sure if I should get it checked or if it was a one time thing?
What is the battery disconnect reset process?

FIRE550 08-26-2020 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 2280599)
It is a battery issue, nothing more. Is the battery the original one? Do you drive it often enough and long enough to keep it fully charged? If the answer is not YES, then you have found the problem. But the first thing I would do is to do a hard reset of the system: disconnect the battery by removing the lead at the stud in the trunk floor. After 30 seconds or so, reconnect.
i had to do this once last year when that same "battery low" message came up, despite the CTEK unit telling me that the battery was fully chrged. No issues since.

The battery is the original one. Car only has 8k miles on it but I drive it as often as I can through the spring summer and fall.
I have a few vehicles /motorcycle so it gets driven but not everyday.

scm 08-26-2020 05:37 PM

Battery disconnect involves removing the negative lead from the battery for half a minute or so. That resets any modules that have been locked on by the use of the OBD port. It's a known quirk, not everything you plug into the OBD has the effect but many do. I believe the symptom is that the light stays on in the hazard switch if the problem has occurred - check it an hour after locking the car and if it's on, do the battery disconnect!

Now your battery has gone flat I suspect the modules will have reset already. Battery should be fine after a recharge.

FIRE550 08-26-2020 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2280644)
Battery disconnect involves removing the negative lead from the battery for half a minute or so. That resets any modules that have been locked on by the use of the OBD port. It's a known quirk, not everything you plug into the OBD has the effect but many do. I believe the symptom is that the light stays on in the hazard switch if the problem has occurred - check it an hour after locking the car and if it's on, do the battery disconnect!

Now your battery has gone flat I suspect the modules will have reset already. Battery should be fine after a recharge.

okay thank you. I will do this when I get home.
hopefully that solves my problem.

Thunder Dump 08-26-2020 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by FIRE550 (Post 2280670)
okay thank you. I will do this when I get home.
hopefully that solves my problem.

Also, a trickle charger/battery tender is really only good for topping off/maintaining a battery, not charging an almost dead one. You need a 10A charger for a proper charge. Then once it's properly charged the battery tender/trickle charger will be fine.

FIRE550 08-26-2020 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump (Post 2280722)
Also, a trickle charger/battery tender is really only good for topping off/maintaining a battery, not charging an almost dead one. You need a 10A charger for a proper charge. Then once it's properly charged the battery tender/trickle charger will be fine.

I am using a battery tender 5amp - charges it fully just fine. Thank you though

Llama 08-26-2020 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by FIRE550 (Post 2280624)
It gave me a code P013E - O2 sensor delay response - rich to lean BANK 1 sensor 2. The check engine light went off by itself so not sure if I should get it checked or if it was a one time thing?

My 17 R threw the same code last week but the dealer's booked out a month. I cleared my code and so far it hasn't come back but according to the service manual it triggers after 3 starts when the condition exists if I remember correctly.

It'll be interesting to see if it pops again before it goes in. Either way, might as well let them swap it now while it's still covered.

FIRE550 08-26-2020 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Llama (Post 2280738)
My 17 R threw the same code last week but the dealer's booked out a month. I cleared my code and so far it hasn't come back but according to the service manual it triggers after 3 starts when the condition exists if I remember correctly.

It'll be interesting to see if it pops again before it goes in. Either way, might as well let them swap it now while it's still covered.

I talked to my service manager who is a buddy of mine (not that matters), anyways I told him of the issue and he said not to worry about it unless it comes back on. A delayed response can be just that and it doesn't mean that an O2 sensor needs replacement. Also stated the only check engine light you really want to be concerned with is a flashing check engine light or a check engine light that stays on and won't turn off by itself.
My light went off by itself, I didn't have to clear it, so I'm just going to see if it comes back on again. If it does then will obviously get it replaced. For now though car is running great and has no drive ability issues at all. Except this battery thing right now that I am trying to diagnose. Got it on the charger now and soon as it fully charges I am going to go get the battery and alternator checked at auto zone. They do this for free. Hoping that if I do have a charging issue that its just a bad battery and nothing else. My car is a 2016 and has the original battery so it could very well be that.
Also as far as the three times starting the car and it should come back - I have started mine well over that with the light still not coming back on. My dealership is way booked up to and behind so hoping I don't have to end up bringing it there.
Good Luck.

scm 08-27-2020 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by FIRE550 (Post 2280740)
... I am going to go get the battery and alternator checked at auto zone. They do this for free. Hoping that if I do have a charging issue that its just a bad battery and nothing else. My car is a 2016 and has the original battery so it could very well be that.

I'm not sure I trust battery tests - some years back I was having problems which I put down to the battery in my XKR and went to a shop to buy a replacement. The guy insisted on testing it before he'd sell me one and judged it to be "fine" and wouldn't let me buy one. I ordered a new one online (cheaper and better!) and once fitted all my issues cleared up. Go figure.

While your battery may be getting on a bit, the fact that you'd plugged into the OBD port and then got the issue does seem too much of a coincidence, so I'd suspect that before the battery. Keep us posted on progress, please!

FIRE550 08-27-2020 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2280803)
I'm not sure I trust battery tests - some years back I was having problems which I put down to the battery in my XKR and went to a shop to buy a replacement. The guy insisted on testing it before he'd sell me one and judged it to be "fine" and wouldn't let me buy one. I ordered a new one online (cheaper and better!) and once fitted all my issues cleared up. Go figure.

While your battery may be getting on a bit, the fact that you'd plugged into the OBD port and then got the issue does seem too much of a coincidence, so I'd suspect that before the battery. Keep us posted on progress, please!

I will definitely keep you posted. I just now went out to the garage and checked the tender. It's a 5 amp and it is more then 80% charged. Soon it will be fully charged.
I did do the negative disconnect already and when I got done the message still appeared on my dash (low battery, start engine), now I am wondering if it still showed that because the battery was still very low and just had begone charging when I did this. My plan is too get it fully charged and then do the negative cable disconnect again, then take it from there. Hopefully once it is fully charged and I disconnect the battery again it takes care of that message and keeps its charge.
Let me know if that is the way I should do it in your opinion?
I also plan on still getting the alternator and battery checked but I will take it with a grain of salt if my issue remains.
Thanks.....
Eric

scm 08-27-2020 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by FIRE550 (Post 2280905)
I did do the negative disconnect already and when I got done the message still appeared on my dash (low battery, start engine), now I am wondering if it still showed that because the battery was still very low and just had begone charging when I did this. My plan is to get it fully charged and then do the negative cable disconnect again, then take it from there. Hopefully once it is fully charged and I disconnect the battery again it takes care of that message and keeps its charge.

Yeah, that message was almost certainly because the battery was low. I doubt there's really much point doing the battery disconnect after charging but it won't do any harm. Just keep an eye on that hazard light switch lamp after you've locked the car and it's gone to sleep - make sure it's gone out. If it does and you still get the message, check the voltage when the engine is running - I have a little meter that plugs into the cigar lighter socket (or whatever we have to call it these days!) - it should read over 14.5V if the alternator is okay (actually you could do this even if you don't get message, just for reassurance). I'm still putting my money of the OBD connect causing the problem. ;)

Oh, and you'll probably have to reset the windows after a disconnect - details should be in your manual.

FIRE550 08-27-2020 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2280918)
Yeah, that message was almost certainly because the battery was low. I doubt there's really much point doing the battery disconnect after charging but it won't do any harm. Just keep an eye on that hazard light switch lamp after you've locked the car and it's gone to sleep - make sure it's gone out. If it does and you still get the message, check the voltage when the engine is running - I have a little meter that plugs into the cigar lighter socket (or whatever we have to call it these days!) - it should read over 14.5V if the alternator is okay (actually you could do this even if you don't get message, just for reassurance). I'm still putting my money of the OBD connect causing the problem. ;)

Oh, and you'll probably have to reset the windows after a disconnect - details should be in your manual.

The hazard light is not on while the car is locked, I just looked.
The only light I see when looking in the window is a blinking red light in the shape of a small circle that I assume is the security light letting you know the factory alarm is active.
I just now went into the car turned on the dash and didn't start the vehicle. No warning lights or symbols on the dash. Battery is almost fully charged now. I then started it and everything is good, no lights, warning messages or engine lights. Very happy thus far.
I will still do the negative disconnect after the battery is fully charged for piece of mind. As far as the windows go yes I know how to reprogram them for the auto up and down feature, but when I disconnected the battery last time that didn't get affected - which is good. Some times it does and now it hasn't.

FIRE550 08-27-2020 12:32 PM

Okay battery fully charged, disconnect done and happy to report no lights or warnings. :icon_headbang:

Now to get the battery and alternator checked just in case.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b2dd25be31.jpg

sov211 08-27-2020 02:38 PM

Stop torturing yourself. It was the battery, and only the battery (see posts above). Since you use the car so little, you might want to get a CTEK battery maintainer (as so many of us have) and use it always when the car is not being driven. That will eliminate a repeat of the situation you have just gone through (assuming the battery is good, which, given its age and the very low miles, may not be the case).

Regarding the red triangle: it will normally remain lit for 10 minutes or so after locking, but if it remains on beyond that, it is an indicator of systems not shut down and in consequence, continuing battery drain.

Drive this Cat more!

FIRE550 08-27-2020 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 2281073)
Stop torturing yourself. It was the battery, and only the battery (see posts above). Since you use the car so little, you might want to get a CTEK battery maintainer (as so many of us have) and use it always when the car is not being driven. That will eliminate a repeat of the situation you have just gone through (assuming the battery is good, which, given its age and the very low miles, may not be the case).

Regarding the red triangle: it will normally remain lit for 10 minutes or so after locking, but if it temains on beyond that, it is an indicator of systems not shut down and in consequence, continuing battery drain.

Drive this Cat more!

Its not a red triangle it is a circle the size of a dot. Blinks red only when the car is locked and off. Soon as I unlock the doors leaving them unlocked and car off the light stops.
I would think this has to be the security system.

George05 08-27-2020 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by FIRE550 (Post 2281014)
Okay battery fully charged, disconnect done and happy to report no lights or warnings. :icon_headbang:

Now to get the battery and alternator checked just in case.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b2dd25be31.jpg

Your lights are on . Why ? this can also drain battery

FIRE550 08-27-2020 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by George05 (Post 2281106)
Your lights are on . Why ? this can also drain battery

what do you mean my lights are on?
yes they are on, I started the car in my garage and the headlight setting is on automatic.