Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Bonnet vents (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/bonnet-vents-166261/)

Tally Ho 07-20-2016 07:53 PM

Bonnet vents

Was the relocation of the bonnet vents aesthetic or functional? I noticed the 2016 up V8 cars have the vents set lower on the bonnet than the 2014-15 V8 cars. The V6 cars are all in the same location.

Foosh 07-20-2016 09:25 PM

The relocation was functional and necessary to accommodate the front transfer case for the AWD models, which required a higher engine mounting and different hood design. In the US, AWD is the only V8 available for sale. RWD V8R models, which are still available in other markets retain the 14-15 vent location and hood design.

V6 AWD models also have the same hood and vent location as the V8s.

Unhingd 07-20-2016 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tally Ho (Post 1501488)
Was the relocation of the bonnet vents aesthetic or functional? I noticed the 2016 up V8 cars have the vents set lower on the bonnet than the 2014-15 V8 cars. The V6 cars are all in the same location.

I believe all the AWD cars have the louvers lower on the hood, even the V6 AWD cars

Arne 07-21-2016 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1501523)
I believe all the AWD cars have the louvers lower on the hood, even the V6 AWD cars

That is correct. I think it is because the engine sits a little higher in the AWD versions, so they had to change the hood slightly and move the louvers to make room.

Tally Ho 07-21-2016 04:12 PM

Thanks everyone. I thought there would be a simple explanation. It did not occur to me that the AWD system would change the engine height. Makes sense.

enderle 07-22-2016 10:30 AM

By the way, the vents don't actually do anything. On my V8S they are solid plastic. I swapped them for the open vents Mina Gallery sells but the engine cover pretty much blocks any air flow. Likely why the SVR doesn't have an engine cover.

Arne 07-22-2016 11:29 AM

I have the OEM carbon vents (delivered with the car when new) and they are open. Can't say anything about how effective they are in dissipating some of the engine heat, but I would think they help some.

Holding my hand over the vent clearly indicates some heat is lost that way.

enderle 07-22-2016 02:09 PM

Yes I too get a little bit of air but on my older XKR which doesn't have an engine cover there is a ton of air coming out. In fact I swapped the vents for the newer style which isn't as open and at Freeway speeds one blew off like it ejected flew well over the car which would have been funny had I not had them custom painted. There were glued and physically attached to the hood. It is kind of cool to see the engine cover's super charged emblem through the grill now though.

Unhingd 07-22-2016 03:00 PM

Dump the cover. It's increasing manifold temps by almost 20F.

polarisnavyxj 07-22-2016 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1502427)
Dump the cover. It's increasing manifold temps by almost 20F.

Any downside to removing cover?

Dirt, etc?

Unhingd 07-22-2016 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj (Post 1502461)

Dirt, etc?

I don't think so. It gets dusty in there no matter what. Just rinse it down occasionally (cold engine) and wipe the exposed surfaces.

schraderade 07-24-2016 07:57 PM

It'd be cool to replicate the single-slit vents but in tempered glass so there's still cooling but one could look through it to the supercharged engine cover labels.

I like the way Ferrari exposes parts of their mid mounted engine, or watches include a tourbillion window.

I doubt it's reasonable to manufacture something like this.

polarisnavyxj 07-25-2016 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by schraderade (Post 1503566)
It'd be cool to replicate the single-slit vents but in tempered glass so there's still cooling but one could look through it to the supercharged engine cover labels.

I like the way Ferrari exposes parts of their mid mounted engine, or watches include a tourbillion window.

I doubt it's reasonable to manufacture something like this.

What wrong with a grill?

you don't need a tempered glass window, just open mesh like the early base hood grills.

lizzardo 07-25-2016 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj (Post 1502461)

Dirt, etc?

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1502495)
I don't think so. It gets dusty in there no matter what. Just rinse it down occasionally (cold engine) and wipe the exposed surfaces.

The cover on mine already shows noticeable fading from sunlight through the mesh vents. I'm concerned about the plastic and rubber piping below it getting brittle.

I was toying with the idea of modifying the cover so the entire center is mesh; getting perhaps most of the benefit of removal while keeping the protection of the parts under the vent (and the supercharged logo).

Maybe someday. I need to get the car back first :(

ShaunPA 07-25-2016 11:31 AM

does anybody have a place to get the V6 vents from a dealer for cheap? want to change out the ones on my v8 and remove the engine cover as well.

enderle 07-25-2016 11:57 AM

Try E-Bay

Originally Posted by ShaunPA (Post 1503858)
does anybody have a place to get the V6 vents from a dealer for cheap? want to change out the ones on my v8 and remove the engine cover as well.

They come up on e-bay every once in a while and Mina Gallery has metal mesh replacements which are pretty open. I believe they'll still paint to match as well if you like.

schraderade 07-25-2016 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj (Post 1503682)
What wrong with a grill?

you don't need a tempered glass window, just open mesh like the early base hood grills.

I have a base mesh grills on my car. You can't see the detail very well.
The viewer is at an angle (unless he's standing on the hood!) so the mesh is not as see-through as you think.

Unhingd 07-25-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunPA (Post 1503858)

Shaun, do you have the RWD V8?

Here are the part numbers: T2R9767, T2R9765 Left & Right respectively. Unbelievably expensive, but here's the cheapest place to find them: http://www.jaguarlasvegasparts.com/

Used on eBay would be a better bet when available, or you could offer to swap your V8 vent with a V6 owner on the forum.

Mahjik 07-25-2016 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 1503819)
The cover on mine already shows noticeable fading from sunlight through the mesh vents. I'm concerned about the plastic and rubber piping below it getting brittle.

The engine gets much hotter than anything the sun is going to do shinning through those vents. i.e. I wouldn't worry about it from a brittle standpoint...

ShaunPA 07-26-2016 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1503910)
Shaun, do you have the RWD V8?

Here are the part numbers: T2R9767, T2R9765 Left & Right respectively. Unbelievably expensive, but here's the cheapest place to find them: Genuine Jaguar OEM Factory Parts sold at Wholesale Prices | Jaguar of Las Vegas

Used on eBay would be a better bet when available, or you could offer to swap your V8 vent with a V6 owner on the forum.

thanks! $165 a piece is expensive for what they are, but not too bad in the grand scheme of things. if ebay doesnt prove fruitful in the next 30-60 days i'll just go this route.