Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Dieting the f type? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/dieting-f-type-168020/)

Suaro 02-20-2018 12:41 PM

Thank you. I suppose I must have taken out that center floor panel at some point but I honestly do not remember. I would not under any circumstances have recognized the second battery inside of it’s partial housing. I had thought it might be in the engine compartment.

mlebofsky 02-20-2018 07:12 PM

I am surprised no one has tried a Lithium Ion Battery in the F Type.

Unhingd 02-20-2018 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mlebofsky (Post 1845851)
I am surprised no one has tried a Lithium Ion Battery in the F Type.

I will probably go that way when I actually need to replace the original battery, but I initially balked at the $1300 price tag.

mlebofsky 02-20-2018 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1845907)

I will probably go that way when I actually need to replace the original battery, but I initially balked at the $1300 price tag.

What brand/model were you looking at?

ndabunka 02-20-2018 09:32 PM

Dieting a F-Type is like a Super-model going on a diet... COMPLETELY unnecessary.

Having said that the VERY FIRST thing that ANYONE should do is to change the disc to ceramic and the wheels to the SVR alloys. If someone does not want to do either of those because it's too expensive then please see my 1st sentence as "care and feeding" of super-models is expensive.

Unhingd 02-21-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 1845925)

Having said that the VERY FIRST thing that ANYONE should do is to change the disc to ceramic ...

+1. On my bucket list. Would have ordered the ceramics on the car if they had been offered with the manual transmission.

lizzardo 02-21-2018 12:25 PM

I'm less interested in carbon/ceramic brakes as some nicer calipers. I haven't hefted one of those fronts but they look like anvils. Opposed piston Brembos would be my choice. It's not like JLR didn't have them in the parts bin. Even Subaru puts them on their sportier models. Seriously, why not Jaguar?

Gibbo205 02-21-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 1846238)
I'm less interested in carbon/ceramic brakes as some nicer calipers. I haven't hefted one of those fronts but they look like anvils. Opposed piston Brembos would be my choice. It's not like JLR didn't have them in the parts bin. Even Subaru puts them on their sportier models. Seriously, why not Jaguar?

I am surprised Brembo, Alcon or AP do not offer a big brake kit for the F Type for front and year as not all of us have ceramics and the steels use pretty ugly calipers and the disc are very heavy solid 1pc items.

Gibbo205 02-21-2018 12:50 PM

OK turns out Brembo do a full kit:
https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...?vehicle=11098

Very nice, quite tempted by those, a shame they don't offer a rear kit also. :(

lizzardo 02-21-2018 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205 (Post 1846245)
I am surprised Brembo, Alcon or AP do not offer a big brake kit for the F Type for front and year as not all of us have ceramics and the steels use pretty ugly calipers and the disc are very heavy solid 1pc items.

I don't think bigger is an option for me. I've got 19" wheels and the "super performance" brakes, and the smallest wheel cleaner brush I have will not fit between the caliper and the barrel of the wheel. Lighter calipers would be great. I don't have experience with two-piece rotors on cars, but the last motorcycle of mine that had one piece rotors on the front wheel was manufactured in the early 80s. Reduced unsprung mass and reduced rotational mass would both be beneficial.

Gibbo205 02-21-2018 01:04 PM

There is also this kit for the XF:
https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...ts/gt-1n-9056a

That uses 380mm x 34mm disc which I believe are same size as F Type front disc so I wonder if the disc from that kit would be a direct bolt-on to our cars.

OzXFR 02-21-2018 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205 (Post 1846253)
There is also this kit for the XF:
https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...ts/gt-1n-9056a

That uses 380mm x 34mm disc which I believe are same size as F Type front disc so I wonder if the disc from that kit would be a direct bolt-on to our cars.

Yep, I reckon that would be the right kit for any F-Type except the SVR that already has the 380 mm front brakes and the wheels that go with them.
For an SVR (like you have) then the first kit you linked to would be better as long as you already have the wheels that will fit around the 405 mm discs & calipers ("Storm"???), but those 405s will be too big for any other F-Type unless it already has the CCM brakes and therefore the bigger wheels.

4x4uk 02-22-2018 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1521794)
Mine came with the lightweight aluminium roof - for free...

yep mine did to, so glad because I did not want a glass roof

Gibbo205 02-22-2018 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4uk (Post 1846651)
yep mine did to, so glad because I did not want a glass roof

Previous owner options the carbon on mine, this made me very happy and lucky as not seen many with carbon roofs. :)

clubairth1 02-22-2018 07:29 AM

You are right as Jaguar in the past did use Brembo's from the factory.
My 2005 S Type R had them but Jaguar dropped them on that car for 2006 and up.

Still have never found a reason why and the non-Brembo brakes certainly seem to stop the car good enough? We have heard that the cost of the Brembo's was a big factor but again you see them on much cheaper cars so I am not sure that's correct?

I have an XJR and it's rated as one of the 20 quickest stopping cars ever recorded?

Fast Brake: 20 Best 60 to 0 Distances Recorded by Motor Trend

When a car the size of an XJR can stop from 60 mph in 99 feet that saying something!

F-typical 02-22-2018 01:50 PM

The cheapest way to save weight is probably to order a car without the glass roof, wingbacks, stereo upgrade, supersized brakes* or anything larger than 18”wheels.

So basically a V6 Base. HTH. 🙂

* I bought some. They are really HEAVY...

Unhingd 02-22-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205 (Post 1846248)
OK turns out Brembo do a full kit:
https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...?vehicle=11098

Very nice, quite tempted by those, a shame they don't offer a rear kit also. :(

At that price, you might as well just go with the OEM ceramics.

Suaro 02-22-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1846938)
The cheapest way to save weight is probably to order a car without the glass roof, wingbacks, stereo upgrade, supersized brakes* or anything larger than 18”wheels.

There are quite a few reviews that agree with you that the V6 B is the best handling of the Type, and that the others have a variety of power induced issues.

DPelletier 02-22-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1846938)

sure; there is 159 lbs between a base 'vert and my fully loaded V8S.....but if you're trying to save weight to increase performance you'd need it to be more like 500 - 700 lbs lighter to make up for the HP and brake deficit....

Dave

Awd 02-22-2018 02:59 PM

I've the R...the one that was 4020# on the celebrated " what do they weigh" thread.
Checked on the scales this morning ( bathroom scales) and my goal is a much needed 35# reduction....won't cost anything like $4000+/- for fancy brakes....in fact I figure I'll net $4000 or so as I'll be also reducing my daily wine and cheese ration.
YMMV
Alan