Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F-Type Gone . . . C7 Here (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-gone-c7-here-163957/)

Foosh 06-06-2016 11:38 AM

F-Type Gone . . . C7 Here

After much soul searching, I've decided to move on.

I purchased a loaded, year-old, '15 C7 Z51, 7MT, CPO car w/ 4K miles. It came with an extra year of bumper-to-bumper warranty, 2-years free maintenance, and 6yr/100K powertrain warranty. Sales price was more than $20K off original MSRP.

It's a loaded Z51 w/ upgraded interior (2LT), big brakes, trans cooler, dry sump oiling, eDIFF, magnetic ride control, 5 performance/suspension modes, switchable exhaust, switchable auto rev-match, and premium Bose sound system.

Traded the F-Type, and MD only charges sales tax on the difference between trade and sales price. Net difference between trade and new car was $5K. After factoring in the sales tax I didn't pay, I got $50K for the F-Type. I paid $62K for it new, put 10K miles on it, had it a little over 2 years, so depreciation was about $6K/year--not bad.

I didn't realize how much I was going to miss having a manual, and 460HP/460TQ ain't too shabby either. Plus, I've shed at least 200 lbs. I recently drove a new 911S MT, and this blows it away in my view.

If JLR gets serious about weight reduction and engineering a more stout MT, perhaps I'll be back in an F-Type at some point.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...71017cd090.jpg

DJS 06-06-2016 11:42 AM

Interesting move, but not totally surprising. Going from white to blacked-out is a change.

Hope the stereo is good. ;)

Foosh 06-06-2016 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DJS (Post 1476082)
Interesting move, but not totally surprising. Going from white to blacked-out is a change.

Hope the stereo is good. ;)

LOL . . . was going to say something about the audio system, but now that you've brought it up, my initial impression is that my 380w Meridian sounded better than this does now. There are no obvious issues w/ the Bose, but it just sounds a bit "muddier." Perhaps I need to fool w/ the setting more.

Kitesurfer 06-06-2016 11:46 AM

Congrats - very, very nice car.

PolkNole 06-06-2016 11:50 AM

Curious to know how people perceive it vs the F-Type. I still get stopped constantly. Twice just now at lunch.

Foosh 06-06-2016 11:56 AM

This is my 3rd Corvette as I had 2 C6s (Z51 and Z06). It won't attract as much attention, except perhaps from LEOs, but I don't care about stuff like that.

Smoke Em 06-06-2016 11:59 AM

Congrats Foosh. During my car hunt it was between the Z06 in yellow with black offsets but I ended up going with the F-Type (red with black accents) so I know how nice of a car it is. Good luck with it!!

99Gsp 06-06-2016 12:05 PM

Congrats and good luck Foosh. Enjoy the new ride. Will miss your insightful contributions to the forums.

DPelletier 06-06-2016 12:14 PM

Congrats; she's a beauty! Hope you don't disappear....

Dave

Foosh 06-06-2016 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier (Post 1476096)
Congrats; she's a beauty! Hope you don't disappear....

Dave

Just because I am now without an F-Type does not mean in any way that I've lost interest in the car. I still love most everything about it. I already miss the V6 exhaust note, which I thought was magnificent.

I've also grown fond of many on this forum. I'll jump in now and then, but only when I feel like I might have something useful to say, or perhaps to banter w/ my "friends." :-)

F-typical 06-06-2016 12:45 PM

Congratulations Foosh!

Now if it were a coupe, RHD, and the same size as a C3...

lsbrodsky 06-06-2016 12:48 PM

Farewell! I also cross-shopped the Vette since I loved my C6. I never could get used to the angular styling of the C7, but it is a lot of car for the money!
Larry

Foosh 06-06-2016 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1476117)
Congratulations Foosh!

Now if it were a coupe, RHD, and the same size as a C3...

Thanks, it's less than 1 inch longer than the F-Type, 1" narrower, and almost 4" shorter, but w/ a little more ground clearance, surprisingly.

I'm sure it's bigger than the C3, but virtually all cars have grown over the years due to both customer preference and crash-survival requirements.

Foosh 06-06-2016 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky (Post 1476121)
Farewell! I also cross-shopped the Vette since I loved my C6. I never could get used to the angular styling of the C7, but it is a lot of car for the money!
Larry

I felt the same way initially, but it's really grown on me. In addition, I chose black because neither the angular lines, nor the functional vents are as noticeable.

However, by far and away the primary reason for making the switch was the magnificent manual gear box, w/ auto rev-match, and the amazing suspension and handling. The advantages of a lighter platform are also very apparent.

lsbrodsky 06-06-2016 01:20 PM

I would agree on the guts. If I did not need for my wife to be able to drive my car, I would go back to an MT and that would put the C7 very high on my list. But I love everything about this R.

Larry

Foosh 06-06-2016 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky (Post 1476133)
I would agree on the guts. If I did not need for my wife to be able to drive my car, I would go back to an MT and that would put the C7 very high on my list. But I love everything about this R.

Larry

I'm very fortunate on that score. My wife had zero interest in driving the F-Type and never once did, but she wanted to drive the C7 as soon as I got it home. She 's taken it out 3 times in 4 days and raves about how great it is to have manual again. She loves how smooth auto-rev match makes her driving.

supercat'dXKR 06-06-2016 01:34 PM

i was looking at C7 as well, but it just doesnt look as good as the F Type

but they definitely have a lot of power in stock form

congrats. I had a C5 convertible back in the day. Loved it.

Arne 06-06-2016 01:40 PM

Congrats Foosh!

It's a nice and good looking car with great driving dynamics. Hope you will be happy with the change, but also hope to see you back here again with one of the next generation F-type's ;)

psb1013 06-06-2016 01:46 PM

The C7 definately gives you a lot of bang for your buck. However, the F-Type to me is a more visually attractive car and less common to see on the road than the C7.

The only car I would ever consider trading in my F-Type for would be a Maserati Gran Turismo MC Sportline. That car, to me, is the most gorgeous car currently produced. And that exhaust note (thanks to a Ferrari-built, naturally-aspirated V8) surpasses anything in existence.

RickyJay52 06-06-2016 02:05 PM

Godspeed.