Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   F-Type Gone . . . C7 Here (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/f-type-gone-c7-here-163957/)

Schwabe 06-07-2016 09:04 AM

hmmmm, back to a V8 ... to an even quicker car ... what are you going to do with all that powaaahhh ....?

Foosh 06-07-2016 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Schwabe (Post 1476651)
hmmmm, back to a V8 ... to an even quicker car ... what are you going to do with all that powaaahhh ....?

LOL . . . saw that coming. :-)

Since I have a lot of track time in 2 different C6 (Z51 and Z06) cars, as well as numerous other high-power cars, I'll probably remember what to do with it. If a Tremec MT gear box and shifter set-up had been used in the F-Type, I'd have traded for that because I love everything about the V6. That box could also have been used in the V8, but I wasn't pining away for another V8.

Shedding a lot of weight was a much bigger factor for me than having big HP, having experienced something of an epiphany in lightweights like my Lotus Elise. Seeing what you can do on the track against much higher HP cars in lightweight, lower power cars with a superb suspensions made a big impression on me. I've never been interested in straight-line performance.

However, it appears JLR didn't want to put much development capital into the MT, and that likely was a rational business decision since it isn't selling well. Most hard-core manual enthusiasts either go Porsche or Corvette in the U.S.

At the end of the day, the desire to shift my own gears trumped all, but not just any old MT set-up will do. The V6 was not the issue.

IMMD 06-07-2016 11:25 AM

I made the opposite switch. I went from an arctic white 3LT with red interior c7 to my ultimate black R with ivory duo interior. I left corvette after just two years for a few reasons. The interior is much better on the Jag. The exhaust on the c7 is not impressive at all compared to the R and the auto transmission was slushy on the c7.

What I've found about the jag is that visibility between coupes is better with the jag; the AWD aspect of the R makes it feel quicker off the line; the fit and finish seems far superior in the R (with the exception of the goofy aluminum trim that is supposed to look like carbon fiber VS the actual CF trim in the vette); the gearbox is indeed significantly better on the Jag but not as much as I was expecting. I had a '14 vette so the newer autos may be comparable. It is nothing like the PDK.

The c7 garnered a lot more attention, but the R gets a different kind of attention. Everyone stared at the vette when I first got it. There were people who acted ridiculous in fact. The jag seems to attract the attention of people who are enthusiasts instead of kids, teenagers, and muscle car fans.

I miss a few things...the storage compartment behind the screen. The targa top. The rear quarter view in my opinion was about the best looking view of any car I've ever seen.

Having said all that I love the f type and am happy with the trade. The vette unquestionably beats the Jag on value. The z06 wins both value and performance. Jag obliterates Chevy on buying experience. The trouble I had purchasing the vette was ridiculous. That's in the past though.

Enjoy the c7!

Foosh 06-07-2016 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by IMMD (Post 1476719)
I made the opposite switch. I went from an arctic white 3LT with red interior c7 to my ultimate black R with ivory duo interior. I left corvette after just two years for a few reasons. The interior is much better on the Jag. The exhaust on the c7 is not impressive at all compared to the R and the auto transmission was slushy on the c7.

What I've found about the jag is that visibility between coupes is better with the jag; the AWD aspect of the R makes it feel quicker off the line; the fit and finish seems far superior in the R (with the exception of the goofy aluminum trim that is supposed to look like carbon fiber VS the actual CF trim in the vette); the gearbox is indeed significantly better on the Jag but not as much as I was expecting. I had a '14 vette so the newer autos may be comparable. It is nothing like the PDK.

The c7 garnered a lot more attention, but the R gets a different kind of attention. Everyone stared at the vette when I first got it. There were people who acted ridiculous in fact. The jag seems to attract the attention of people who are enthusiasts instead of kids, teenagers, and muscle car fans.

I miss a few things...the storage compartment behind the screen. The targa top. The rear quarter view in my opinion was about the best looking view of any car I've ever seen.

Having said all that I love the f type and am happy with the trade. The vette unquestionably beats the Jag on value. The z06 wins both value and performance. Jag obliterates Chevy on buying experience. The trouble I had purchasing the vette was ridiculous. That's in the past though.

Enjoy the c7!

Good post, thanks. Yes, I wasn't interested in either the C7 or F-Type coupes. It has to be a real rag-top convertible. Even the hard-tops won't do.

Yes, the '14 6-speed auto was an archaic and very slushy transmission more suited to a Cadillac. I'm told the new A8 introduced in 15 is much more comparable to the ZF8.

Did you have the NPP Performance Exhaust on your car? It's an option on both base and Z51. It's very similar to active exhaust on the F and makes a huge difference in terms of exhaust note. With valves closed, it is a relatively quiet V8 rumble. With valves open, it's VERY loud, and while it has some of same overrun type burbles as the F on decel, it doesn't quite make the same type of crackle and pop, even though the decibel level is similar.

I'm not that fussy about interiors, and I'm fairly pleased with the interior, but I did have the no-option base interior in my F. This seems like an upgrade to me. However, as I said above, getting back in an MT in a lighter car were my primary objectives.

IMMD 06-07-2016 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1476754)

Did you have the NPP Performance Exhaust on your car? It's an option on both base and Z51. It's very similar to active exhaust on the F and makes a huge difference in terms of exhaust note. With valves closed, it is a relatively quiet V8 rumble. With valves open, it's VERY loud, and while it has some of same overrun type burbles as the F on decel, it doesn't quite make the same type of crackle and pop, even though the decibel level is similar.

Yes I had NPP. I was able to get some overrun burbles that were impressive but only when the car was still cold and when I was shifting from 3rd to 2nd with the paddles. I like the c7 paddles better incidentally. The jag paddles feel like I'm just pushing a button instead of actuating a paddle.

As for the volume, yes it was comparable. But the way the f type injects unspent fuel into the exhaust to produce little explosions just can't be measured up by the c7. I drove a manual z06 and while the note was louder, I couldn't get any overrun. It was just a loud exhaust. I get plenty of loud hot air at my job. The crackles are what make me love the R.

Foosh 06-07-2016 12:29 PM

I think the manual lets you choose your sound effects better. With auto rev-match on, I'm getting some pretty impressive ones, and when I turn it off, I can also make them with my foot at will.

However, no argument at all that the F-Type makes better exhaust fireworks.

uncheel 06-07-2016 08:54 PM

Ya know, Foosh, we're all dancing around the obvious question:

How come you didn't get a BASE 'vette?

Foosh 06-07-2016 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel (Post 1477040)
Ya know, Foosh, we're all dancing around the obvious question:

How come you didn't get a BASE 'vette?

Good question.

I would have been fine w/ a base, but I wanted a CPO, a convertible, and a manual car. Available pre-owned convertible C7s are relatively rare (8-10% of C7s built), adding CPO adds a little more rarity, adding MT a little more, and adding one w/ the right color/wheel combo even more. The car that happened to meet all of those criteria within 200 miles happened to be a Z51.

If the right car hadn't just fallen into my lap, I wouldn't have made a move on it.

gotwish 06-07-2016 10:05 PM

Has anyone considered the new 2017 ZL1 Camaro convertible? 640 horses, a back seat seat and a trunk. I love my R Coupe, but I miss the practicality of my BMW 650 convertible. If one can consider that practical. And no, I don't want another BMW with turbo lag like an M6.

SinF 06-08-2016 06:46 AM

Good choice, your new ride is a very capable car. Wish I could fit into one, but I am too tall.

SinF 06-08-2016 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1476201)
Hey, I have a full head of hair! :-)

... and small hands? Mr. Trump is that you?

enfield 06-08-2016 07:04 AM

Congratulations on your new car. I am glad that you are enjoying it.

strippersteel 06-08-2016 07:04 AM

Foosh I defiantly didn't see this coming from you but you defiantly can't beat the performance for the price. The only downside is there's some many of them out there. I hope you enjoy it though!

Unhingd 06-08-2016 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by strippersteel (Post 1477254)
Foosh I defiantly didn't see this coming from you but you defiantly can't beat the performance for the price. The only downside is there's some many of them out there. I hope you enjoy it though!

A Freudian use of the term "defiant", or was that intentional?

swajames 06-08-2016 07:32 PM

Congrats on the new car, Foosh! Good choice with the C7 - great car and just a ton of car for the money.

Enjoy!

TheStig 06-08-2016 09:46 PM

Congrats...

I'm in the same boat. As much as I like my F type the automatic transmission is starting to bore me. I've had mine for two years and it was fun but I'm ready to move on. Thinking the new Grand Sport will be my next car. All the Z06 goodies without a SC. As fun as the Jag is, I'm looking for a MT and a weight loss of several hundred pounds.

MC

Foosh 06-08-2016 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by TheStig (Post 1477713)
Congrats...

I'm in the same boat. As much as I like my F type the automatic transmission is starting to bore me. I've had mine for two years and it was fun but I'm ready to move on. Thinking the new Grand Sport will be my next car. All the Z06 goodies without a SC. As fun as the Jag is, I'm looking for a MT and a weight loss of several hundred pounds.

MC

It sounds like exactly what happened to me. I'm pretty damned thrilled w/ the Z51.

Your comment about the new GS is interesting, but my understanding is that the only Z06 goodies you get are the Z06 "wide-body" and wheels and tires. Mechanically, I think it's just a Z51 in every way, including equipage and engine specs.

2010 Kyanite XFR 06-08-2016 11:00 PM

Good luck with the Vette Foosh. Since you've had two previously, you know what to expect. And anything that says Bose never sounds as good as you think it should.

Foosh 06-08-2016 11:14 PM

Thanks and yep, fortunately I don't care too much about audio systems in cars, since they're usually not on. However, the 380w Meridian in my F-Type did sound better. I wasn't a Bose fan in my two C6s, and that hasn't changed. Fortunately, the rest of the car is phenomenal.

SoCalJagS 06-08-2016 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1476079)

Congrats on the new Vette, they are really beautiful cars. Don't forget the sun screen when driving those convertibles, that wind and sun will take its toll and melanoma is nothing you want to risk.