Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Flat bottom steering wheel (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/flat-bottom-steering-wheel-226602/)

TAEUCK Goo 12-10-2019 07:02 PM

Flat bottom steering wheel

Hi it's Tommy.

I'm currently thinkg abat swaping my steering into black flat bottom steering wheel.

I wonder if i'm right, flat bottom on is more thicker.

Searched throughout the threads but can't find exact answer.

am I right?

OzXFR 12-10-2019 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo (Post 2165176)
Hi it's Tommy.

I'm currently thinkg abat swaping my steering into black flat bottom steering wheel.

I wonder if i'm right, flat bottom on is more thicker.

Searched throughout the threads but can't find exact answer.

am I right?

Hard to tell without having both in front of me, but the flat bottomed wheel (correct name "sports" wheel) looks to me to be maybe a tiny bit thicker in most places and obviously much thicker where the "grips" are at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions.
This is the one I have been looking to buy for many years now, just waiting/hoping for it to be reduced to 40/50% off:
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-T2R4641PVJ

TAEUCK Goo 12-11-2019 01:49 AM

Many thanks for the fast reply Oz!.
I saw the items on your link but it has no heating while mine has it.

Anyway, a bit thicker huh?
I should go on!

Thank bro.

OzXFR 12-11-2019 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo (Post 2165242)
Many thanks for the fast reply Oz!.
I saw the items on your link but it has no heating while mine has it.

Anyway, a bit thicker huh?
I should go on!

Thank bro.

The one I linked to is heated, it's just that the stock pic they use for the ad shows a non heated one (no button top left of the right side steering wheel controls).

Jaaaggg 12-11-2019 07:38 PM

I swapped the standard wheel in my car to the flat bottom sport steering wheel, best thing I ever did. The sport wheel feels so much better in hand (it's definitely thicker all around) and it really enhances the driving experience. The standard wheel does not belong on this car, it's just too plain and skinny.

Uk2usa 12-12-2019 01:03 AM

The other nice thing about the flat wheel is that it gives you a bit more leg room when you get in and out.

Frank Gama 02-11-2020 03:50 PM

Hello Taeuck,
I have a Type 400 with the "flat bottom" steering wheel.
It is certainly thicker than the standard steering wheel.
Hope this helps,
Frank.

bjg625 02-12-2020 12:40 AM

Definitly hepls old man like me to get in and out, but really just like the way it looks.

scm 02-12-2020 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by bjg625 (Post 2190353)
... really just like the way it looks.

... and feels. The round wheel felt quite skinny to me.

2004XJ8 02-12-2020 03:56 AM

Do these wheels come with the paddles and the audio and control buttons?

sov211 02-12-2020 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8 (Post 2190393)
Do these wheels come with the paddles and the audio and control buttons?

If your question means: When installed does the flat-bottom wheel have the paddles and the audio/cruise controls installed? the answer is YES. If the question means: does a new, uninstalled wheel include those controls? The answer is NO. You transfer the controls to the new wheel, unless you buy a used one which includes the controls.

scz4 02-12-2020 12:00 PM

Any coding required, or a straight swap? (forgetting about potentially retrofitting heated steering)

2004XJ8 02-13-2020 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 2190530)
If your question means: When installed does the flat-bottom wheel have the paddles and the audio/cruise controls installed? the answer is YES. If the question means: does a new, uninstalled wheel include those controls? The answer is NO. You transfer the controls to the new wheel, unless you buy a used one which includes the controls.

Thank you for the answer. I was wondering if I had to transfer existing controls to the new wheel.

TAEUCK Goo 02-13-2020 05:54 PM

Thank you Frank .
really help .

Thank you! I need to go to Ebay for purchase.

Ftypelover 02-14-2020 09:00 AM

If it has a flat bottom, should it not be called something other than a wheel?
"Wheel definition is - a circular frame of hard material that may be solid, partly solid, or spoked and that is capable of turning on an axle."
I propose that the steering implement with a flat spot in an otherwise circular object that is used to directionally control an automobile be called a Pointer.

scz4 02-14-2020 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ftypelover (Post 2191238)
If it has a flat bottom, should it not be called something other than a wheel?
"Wheel definition is - a circular frame of hard material that may be solid, partly solid, or spoked and that is capable of turning on an axle."
I propose that the steering implement with a flat spot in an otherwise circular object that is used to directionally control an automobile be called a Pointer.

I think it's called so because it's a contraption steering the wheels (those round things upfront with tyres) :D :D

I'd still like to know if a new wheels is plug and play... assuming like for like.

scm 02-14-2020 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ftypelover (Post 2191238)

But I was taught that it's rude to point! And the F-Type slogan was "it's good to be bad", not "it's good to be rude". ;)

OzXFR 02-14-2020 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by scz4 (Post 2191241)
I think it's called so because it's a contraption steering the wheels (those round things upfront with tyres) :D :D

I'd still like to know if a new wheels is plug and play... assuming like for like.

Yep, if it is like for like it will plug and play.

scz4 03-05-2020 09:22 AM

Sorry to raise this again, but I think I've found a flat bottomed wheel which comes with no trim, buttons etc, but it is heated

My current wheel isn't heated and I don't plan to retrofit this as it sounds like a real hassle. But if I transfer my paddles\buttons\trim etc will it still be plug and play?? Or is it physically a different fit on the steering column?

Part number is T2R20989PVJ

Unhingd 03-05-2020 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by scz4 (Post 2199914)
Sorry to raise this again, but I think I've found a flat bottomed wheel which comes with no trim, buttons etc, but it is heated

My current wheel isn't heated and I don't plan to retrofit this as it sounds like a real hassle. But if I transfer my paddles\buttons\trim etc will it still be plug and play?? Or is it physically a different fit on the steering column?

Part number is T2R20989PVJ

It should be a plug and play.