F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. I've had a lithium battery on my motorcycle for years. It sat for 2 years without a trickle charger and when I fired it up a couple weeks ago in high 30 degree temps, it turned over the engine like a freshly charged battery.

I'm afraid a few of us will have to be the pioneers with these batteries to determine their suitability for this particular application. I'm not fully convinced yet either, but a 50 lb weight savings is mighty tempting.
Any idea what kind of warranty or return policy exists if the battery doesn't work well in our cars?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by mlebofsky
Any idea what kind of warranty or return policy exists if the battery doesn't work well in our cars?
Here's the SmartBattery warranty:https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com...ryWarranty.php

However, given the additional 23-4 pound (total 47#) weight savings, I am now more inclined to go with a LiteBlox battery.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

What is the weight of the stock battery apart from bloody heavy?

Old 03-15-2018, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
What is the weight of the stock battery apart from bloody heavy?
52.6 lbs (23.9 kg)

Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 AM

52.6 lbs (23.9 kg)
How about something like this:
https://www.gobatteries.co.uk/produc...078-560127054/

That is a 10kg saving, around 23lbs.

Or is the cranking amps and amp hours not enough?

I see it does not support stop start but I disconnected that from my car and I suspect those trying to save weight have also disabled any stop start technology.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

This is the one I was looking at a while back and I am not doing
https://www.braillebattery.com/index...duct_group/i49

Old 03-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

The DC to DC controller in the battery will take care of voltage (even increase it as needed for the cells).

My question is whether the charge controller on the F-type, or any new high end car, could potentially get confused. If this battery doesn't "look" normal to the F-type (in terms of impedance characteristics, voltage behavior under different loads and charge conditions, etc) I wonder if the brains in the car will do something less than optimal... Charge current and voltage presented to the vehicle are variables that determine what the car's charging system will do to charge or maintain the battery and at what rate. They indeed may have worked ALL of this out (they're in the battery business after all), or they may not have. IMO.... I'd want to hear success stories (without typical confirmation bias - that's impossible I guess) from others with this battery.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 03-15-2018 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

How about something like this:
https://www.gobatteries.co.uk/produc...078-560127054/

That is a 10kg saving, around 23lbs.

Or is the cranking amps and amp hours not enough?

I see it does not support stop start but I disconnected that from my car and I suspect those trying to save weight have also disabled any stop start technology.

60 Ah vs 90

540 CCA vs 85
Not quite enough ummmph for our high compression engines.
Besides, the terminals would need to be reversed.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
The DC to DC controller in the battery will take care of voltage (even increase it as needed for the cells).

My question is whether the charge controller on the F-type, or any new high end car, could potentially get confused. If this battery doesn't "look" normal to the F-type (in terms of impedance characteristics, voltage behavior under different loads and charge conditions, etc) I wonder if the brains in the car will do something less than optimal... Charge current and voltage presented to the vehicle are variables that determine what the car's charging system will do to charge or maintain the battery and at what rate. They indeed may have worked ALL of this out (they're in the battery business after all), or they may not have. IMO.... I'd want to hear success stories (without typical confirmation bias - that's impossible I guess) from others with this battery.
Victor @ SmartBattery claims that the batteries are performing flawlessly in high end cars with "smart" charging systems. He has also been using one of these batteries in his own Panamera for the past four years.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Saw this on a porsche thread, another option, less cost, bit heavier

New options from Antigravity Battery on the way. The RS-30 is now available at only $700 for a 30 Ah battery weighing about 11 lbs. New technology with auto shut-off upon significant voltage drain and ReStart feature to be able to start your car without having killed your battery. It also has a sophisticated battery management system (BMS) to protect your lithium investment from damage. Works with any current Porsche car. Batteries are available now, but Scott is still working on refining the installation process to make it more plug and play.

I have been using a smaller version over the last month and have 5 track days on a little ATX-30 battery that is 18 Ah and only weighs 6 lbs. This little guy starts the car immediately every time and saves 42 lbs. Yes it is noticeable on the track. Car accelerates better and a little less front end dive on braking. It has been sitting for 9 days in the garage now and the voltage has barely dropped yet. Should hold a charge for some time at this rate.

Temporary install of the ATX-30 in the picture. Everything held firm at the track, and the last three of those days were at COTA. Lost 14 pounds of rotational mass switching back to Cup2s from RE-71R and the 42 pounds from the battery made a total diet of 56 pounds which again was definitely noticeable. When the RS-30 goes in, I will still have a weight loss at 37 pounds, but that battery is more designed for longevity and the demands of a street car rather than going to the track. It is a much more advanced design than the other makers are currently producing, and much less expensive as well. We now have some more affordable lithium options for our cars.

This is all new stuff and developing as I speak. More information can be found at the company's web site or on the other major forum out there.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 PM

60 Ah vs 90

540 CCA vs 85
Not quite enough ummmph for our high compression engines.
Besides, the terminals would need to be reversed.

Found this:
https://www.battery2u.co.uk/mutlu-car-battery-type-100/

Terminals correct way I think and its got more oooomph and is 17.8kg

Old 03-15-2018, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Found this:
https://www.battery2u.co.uk/mutlu-car-battery-type-100/

Terminals correct way I think and its got more oooomph and is 17.8kg
That battery is no lighter than most other pb-acid batteries of the same capacity. It offers only a 13.5 lb savings. I’m still more interested in the liteblox, but have yet to find someone to ship it to this side of the pond.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
If this battery doesn't "look" normal to the F-type (in terms of impedance characteristics, voltage behavior under different loads and charge conditions, etc.)
There's no impedance, it's just resistance unless you plan on charging the battery with an AC voltage.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:08 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
There's no impedance, it's just resistance unless you plan on charging the battery with an AC voltage.
No.

Firstly 'impedance' covers all forms including DC resistance. Z = R + jX. Source: facts.

And, they might even be pulse-width-modulating the charge current, in which case other forms of impedance, such as reactance, may come into play.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 03-16-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:15 AM

I found this:
https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk....r-battery.html

and this in US:

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/

Very light at 4kg or 5.5kg, also has great cranking power.

But would 20aH be OK and if not what is the minimal recommended aH for a daily driven vehicle?

Last edited by Gibbo205; 03-16-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

I found this:
https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk....r-battery.html

and this in US:

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/

Very light at 4kg or 5.5kg, also has great cranking power.

But would 20aH be OK and if not what is the minimal recommended aH for a daily driven vehicle?
Great find! The price point is well below the absurdity threshold. The cca on either of those batteries will crank the engine much more quickly than stock. The RS-30 (30 Ah), the larger of the 2, has only 1/3 the capacity of the OEM battery, but that may not be an issue with the "Re-Start" feature that automatically shuts down battery output after the battery is being drained for a certain period of time (e.g. lights, sound system , ignition left on too long). Under that circumstance, all you do is press a reset button on the battery and there is enough reserve capacity to fire up the engine and carry on.

The RS-30 can be had for $629 here in the U.S., and at a 40.6 lb weight savings (77%) is looking far more attractive than the alternatives.

The following users liked this post:
andykreb (04-09-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Antigravity is the brand I've been using for years now with no problems and they are made in the USA (apparently). I wouldn't worry about the capacity too much as long as it starts the car. I doubt you will often encounter a scenario where the engine needs to crank for an extended period. These things either start or don't. There should be no issues unless you plan on sitting in the car with the lights/audio on for extended periods and then engine not running.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
Antigravity is the brand I've been using for years now with no problems and they are made in the USA (apparently). I wouldn't worry about the capacity too much as long as it starts the car. I doubt you will often encounter a scenario where the engine needs to crank for an extended period. These things either start or don't. There should be no issues unless you plan on sitting in the car with the lights/audio on for extended periods and then engine not running.
I agree. I am checking whether we can get a group discount from them.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Default Ready to Place Order

The RS-30 is available on eBay for 20% off the manufacturer direct price. It's unlikely the manufacturer will beat the $630 price for just a few batteries. However, the eBay retailer will offer a better deal on a multiple battery sale.

Anyone else interested?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity...haqsvN&vxp=mtr

If so, just let me know here or via PM.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-16-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM

The RS-30 is available on eBay for 20% off the manufacturer direct price. It's unlikely the manufacturer will beat the $630 price for just a few batteries. However, the eBay retailer will offer a better deal on a multiple battery sale.

Anyone else interested?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity...haqsvN&vxp=mtr

If so, just let me know here or via PM.

I am going to speak to UK seller to see if they can get RS30, they only list RS20.

If not I will want 4 of these.

Quick Reply: Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery