Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Launch control (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/launch-control-135141/)

StealthPilot 01-19-2015 09:39 PM

Launch control

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this picture on the Jag Instagram page. It says dynamic launch ready. Is this a 2016 feature? Launch control? I thought launch control wasn't possible with a ZF auto and that you needed a double clutch.

Attachment 104868

Adam B 01-19-2015 09:54 PM

Launch control is available on the V6 cars, but not on the V8s. Not new for 2016.

shift 01-19-2015 10:05 PM

Is it confirmed that it's not new for 2016? I wonder if with AWD they've added launch control for the V8...

Unhingd 01-20-2015 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by shift (Post 1143298)
Is it confirmed that it's not new for 2016? I wonder if with AWD they've added launch control for the V8...

Maybe launch control for the 6 speed?

OzRisk 01-20-2015 05:55 AM

I believe it's fitted to the R coupe.

This screenshot from my owners manual...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...cbeaf4cedd.jpg

Timbo 01-20-2015 06:18 AM

Have a look at the foot note on your pic of the manual!!

"Not fitted to all derivatives"
The manual is the same manual for all F types.

jmfan 01-20-2015 09:00 AM

I have launch control on my V6 S and it works great!

tiger4366 01-20-2015 09:05 AM

My V8 S doesn't pretty darn good getting off the line without launch control anyway. Not sure I'd have much need for it.

OzRisk 01-20-2015 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 1143449)
Have a look at the foot note on your pic of the manual!!

"Not fitted to all derivatives"
The manual is the same manual for all F types.

Yes, Timbo!! I did read that!! Thought I'd share it anyway!!

Timbo 01-20-2015 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by OzRisk (Post 1143682)
Yes, Timbo!! I did read that!! Thought I'd share it anyway!!

So why did you say "i believe its fitted to the R coupe then!"

OzRisk 01-21-2015 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Timbo (Post 1143900)
So why did you say "i believe its fitted to the R coupe then!"

Because I "believed" it would be fitted to the R coupe, given it was in my owners manual, and the car is otherwise fully optioned.

If I was sure at the time, I would have said "I can confirm it is fitted". However, given it was 10:55pm, it was not my inclination to go starting the car to find out for sure, and wake up the children, the dogs or the neighbours in the process.

If that distinction is lost on you, let me help with an analogy that might be more relevant for you.

As defined in the dictionary, to "believe" is to "have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so".

Noting your rather abrupt, exclamation ridden retort to my initial post, and observing you are located in London, one would "believe" you speak English as a primary language, and could understand the nuances of said language. However, this would be an assumption based on simple facts, and one would have no absolute proof that the assumption was correct without further evidence to evaluate.

However, you were kind enough to supply such further evidence through your subsequent post, which demonstrated that, whilst you have a predilection for pedantry, you lack some appreciation of the difference between a belief and a confirmed piece of knowledge. So the initial "belief" on my part that you had a full interpretive appreciation of the English language was flawed - my apologies. I stand corrected.

Oh, and as an aside, during more civilized daylight hours when I was less likely to draw the ire of my neighbors - canine and human, I went and tested the R Coupe for dynamic launch, and it is NOT a feature of that model. That is a FACT rather than a belief.

Timbo 01-21-2015 07:59 AM

Blimey lol (laugh out loud) ;)

StealthPilot 01-21-2015 08:33 AM

It seems idiotic that they have the feature on the model that doesn't really need it, and the model which really needs it doesn't have it.

DJS 01-21-2015 09:31 AM

I wouldn't say that the V6S "doesn't need it". It gets off the line noticeably quicker when you use it.

Foosh 01-21-2015 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by StealthPilot (Post 1144257)
It seems idiotic that they have the feature on the model that doesn't really need it, and the model which really needs it doesn't have it.

Uh, the V6 has no trouble burning rubber on launch. I would venture to guess that 90-plus percent of V8 buyers never even bothered to drive a V6 FType and are making assumptions about it absent any knowledge whatsover.

StealthPilot 01-21-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1144297)
Uh, the V6 has no trouble burning rubber on launch. I would venture to guess that 90-plus percent of V8 buyers never even bothered to drive a V6 FType and are making assumptions about it absent any knowledge whatsover.

I'm not disputing that. It's a question of degree. My experience would say it is harder to launch a car with more hp than less hp.

I have owned cars with 197hp, 225hp, 333hp, 345hp, 400hp, 501hp, 550hp and 560hp. All RWD and all capable of burning rubber. More hp has always been harder to launch.

DJS 01-21-2015 11:10 AM

The launch control in the V6S is not what you'd want in the R. It locks up the torque converter so more torque makes it to the wheels at launch. I don't think the R needs more torque!

Unhingd 01-21-2015 11:14 AM

All F-Types have traction control (DSC) to prevent wheel spin when it is turned on. Launch control (activated by holding the brake and gently prodding the throttle ) raises the stall speed on the torque converter to allow engine to remain within the peak torque rpm range (>2000rpm for example). This applies max torque through the drivetrain immediately upon takeoff. Maximum acceleration in a lesser powered car will occur with launch control activated and DSC left on (read: no wheel spin). The V8 has plenty of torque at any engine speed not to require fiddling with the torque converter stall speed. The V6 would benefit the most. This, of course, does not apply to the 6 speed since 1) no torque converter, and 2) the driver controls the "stall speed" with the clutch.

plmmd 01-21-2015 12:03 PM

Have had launch control on a Carrera for 3 years- used it a few times the first few weeks (did the dealer say break-in? I didn't hear it ) then only when giving someone a ride- In the real world its an unused gimmick and unneeded

Mulmur 01-21-2015 12:45 PM

I did drive both and the 6 does benefit from launch control and from the point of view of 'launch' the 8 does not really need it as it is a lot more powerful .. something that you can tell immediately from driving them both.
Lawrence.