Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   OT dumb question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/ot-dumb-question-163377/)

polarisnavyxj 05-25-2016 11:55 AM

OT dumb question

Used 2015 Jaguar F-TYPE R at BMW of Boston | Serving Sudbury and Peabody | VIN: SAJWA6DAXFMK12002

I notice in their pictures that the car is sitting on what appears to be a turntable. Not sure if I've ever seen one in person.

Are these manual spin?
Electric?
Or is just most likely just a static circle that they reposition the car on for the picture?

Seems an expensive luxury to have an electric spinner just for picture convenience.

IronMike 05-25-2016 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj (Post 1468999)
Used 2015 Jaguar F-TYPE R at BMW of Boston | Serving Sudbury and Peabody | VIN: SAJWA6DAXFMK12002

I notice in their pictures that the car is sitting on what appears to be a turntable. Not sure if I've ever seen one in person.

Are these manual spin?
Electric?
Or is just most likely just a static circle that they reposition the car on for the picture?

Seems an expensive luxury to have an electric spinner just for picture convenience.

More likely electric than manual.
Quite common in upscale auto showrooms. Put your nicest car in the showroom, on the turntable, and show it from all angles to every guest that visits.

It can also be quite helpful for pictures as you tripod the camera, fix the location of the lighting, then snap a picture every 10 seconds or so as the car rotates, without repositioning camera and lights a dozen times.

However, the most likely purpose of the turntable is it allows them to pull the car into the tight quarters of the showroom, park on the disc, then rotate to the ideal viewing angle. Come time to move that car out of the showroom, they will rotate 180 degrees from the original position so the car can be driven out forward, rather than backed out of tight quarters.

We see these on vehicle elevators in some homes here in So Cal, where they have an underground garage full of exotic vehicles. Pull the car into the elevator. Lower to the subterranean museum, rotate to exit the appropriate direction out of the elevator.

polarisnavyxj 05-25-2016 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike (Post 1469015)
More likely electric than manual.
Quite common in upscale auto showrooms. Put your nicest car in the showroom, on the turntable, and show it from all angles to every guest that visits.

It can also be quite helpful for pictures as you tripod the camera, fix the location of the lighting, then snap a picture every 10 seconds or so as the car rotates, without repositioning camera and lights a dozen times.

However, the most likely purpose of the turntable is it allows them to pull the car into the tight quarters of the showroom, park on the disc, then rotate to the ideal viewing angle. Come time to move that car out of the showroom, they will rotate 180 degrees from the original position so the car can be driven out forward, rather than backed out of tight quarters.

We see these on vehicle elevators in some homes here in So Cal, where they have an underground garage full of exotic vehicles. Pull the car into the elevator. Lower to the subterranean museum, rotate to exit the appropriate direction out of the elevator.

Must be nice.

zach05855 05-25-2016 03:44 PM

Turntables are not that expensive. I have one in my garage to move the cars

jaguny 05-25-2016 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by zach05855 (Post 1469130)
Turntables are not that expensive. I have one in my garage to move the cars

I expect it the cars that fill that role....