Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default OT dumb question

Used 2015 Jaguar F-TYPE R at BMW of Boston | Serving Sudbury and Peabody | VIN: SAJWA6DAXFMK12002

I notice in their pictures that the car is sitting on what appears to be a turntable. Not sure if I've ever seen one in person.

Are these manual spin?
Electric?
Or is just most likely just a static circle that they reposition the car on for the picture?

Seems an expensive luxury to have an electric spinner just for picture convenience.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-25-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Used 2015 Jaguar F-TYPE R at BMW of Boston | Serving Sudbury and Peabody | VIN: SAJWA6DAXFMK12002

I notice in their pictures that the car is sitting on what appears to be a turntable. Not sure if I've ever seen one in person.

Are these manual spin?
Electric?
Or is just most likely just a static circle that they reposition the car on for the picture?

Seems an expensive luxury to have an electric spinner just for picture convenience.
More likely electric than manual.
Quite common in upscale auto showrooms. Put your nicest car in the showroom, on the turntable, and show it from all angles to every guest that visits.

It can also be quite helpful for pictures as you tripod the camera, fix the location of the lighting, then snap a picture every 10 seconds or so as the car rotates, without repositioning camera and lights a dozen times.

However, the most likely purpose of the turntable is it allows them to pull the car into the tight quarters of the showroom, park on the disc, then rotate to the ideal viewing angle. Come time to move that car out of the showroom, they will rotate 180 degrees from the original position so the car can be driven out forward, rather than backed out of tight quarters.

We see these on vehicle elevators in some homes here in So Cal, where they have an underground garage full of exotic vehicles. Pull the car into the elevator. Lower to the subterranean museum, rotate to exit the appropriate direction out of the elevator.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
More likely electric than manual.
Quite common in upscale auto showrooms. Put your nicest car in the showroom, on the turntable, and show it from all angles to every guest that visits.

It can also be quite helpful for pictures as you tripod the camera, fix the location of the lighting, then snap a picture every 10 seconds or so as the car rotates, without repositioning camera and lights a dozen times.

However, the most likely purpose of the turntable is it allows them to pull the car into the tight quarters of the showroom, park on the disc, then rotate to the ideal viewing angle. Come time to move that car out of the showroom, they will rotate 180 degrees from the original position so the car can be driven out forward, rather than backed out of tight quarters.

We see these on vehicle elevators in some homes here in So Cal, where they have an underground garage full of exotic vehicles. Pull the car into the elevator. Lower to the subterranean museum, rotate to exit the appropriate direction out of the elevator.
Must be nice.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Turntables are not that expensive. I have one in my garage to move the cars

Old 05-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
Turntables are not that expensive. I have one in my garage to move the cars
I expect it the cars that fill that role....