Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Parking "P" Button Worn (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/parking-p-button-worn-210828/)

mcamp 11-18-2018 05:36 PM

Parking "P" Button Worn

Is anyone else's parking shifter button wearing off?

Carbuff2 11-18-2018 05:56 PM

Yes. :icon_rant: Can't wait until the faded 'P' rubs completely off. Perhaps I'll help remove it with some polish (unless JLR has fixed the issue with a more robust button). :icon_twisted:

17,000 miles BTW

OzXFR 11-18-2018 06:33 PM

Mine was worn/scratched when I first got it (18 months old and around 18,000 miles), the only blemish on an otherwise pristine car.
I suspect a previous driver had long fingernails and used the P button a lot, whereas I hardly ever use it so it has not gotten any worse at all in the 2.2 years and approx 15,000 miles I have driven it.
I have done a little research and you can't buy the button by itself, you have to buy and replace the entire shift lever = mucho dollars and labour.

uncheel 11-18-2018 06:55 PM

Same problem here. We need someone with a 3D printer + a dab of epoxy.
Meanwhile, if you're having the same problem with the Start button, it's easy and cheap.

Unhingd 11-19-2018 07:35 AM

What does the P button do? Isn’t there a shifter position for Park.

Arne 11-19-2018 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1990691)

No shifter position. Just a button on the top of the stick. The shifter stays in the same (center) position no matter which mode you have chosen (D, N or R) - except when S (sport mode) is chosen (when you move it to the left).

If you push P when in Sport mode, the stick will automaticly "jump" back to the center position.

sov211 11-19-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1990691)

NO. The P button engages the park setting regardless of the shifter position.

Paul champagne 11-19-2018 12:47 PM

That was the weirdest thing for me to get used to. Now it's second nature.

SS4PK 11-19-2018 01:46 PM

My start button was worn when I looked at my car, I asked them to please replace it. The car had 22,800 miles on it. They complied, thanks Chantilly Jaguar.

mcamp 11-19-2018 07:32 PM

So far only the parking button is wearing off for me. The start button doesn't have any signs of wear yet.. I do have a 3d printer. Let me see if I can print something up that'll work on the button.

nglaser 11-19-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcamp (Post 1990472)
Is anyone else's parking shifter button wearing off?

Don't park it so much

sov211 03-15-2019 05:19 PM

Resurrecting this thread: it is true that to obtain the P button using the Jaguar parts system you must buy the entire shift assembly. Silly. BUT the very same button and shift assembly are used on Range Rovers AND more importantly, the P button is available separately. While you can find this on eBay, I simply ordered one from my (excellent) JLR dealer; the cost was less than $10 CAD (yes, less than $10 Canadian) - with no shipping costs, and the part was in my hands within one week.

installation: the existing button is gently but firmly pried/prised out at the bottom edge, that is, the edge that is to the rear of the car. I tried a narrow flat-blade screwdriver...but I was afraid that with too much force I would damage the plastic edge of the shifter quadrant. So, next choice: a fine blade dinner knife. It worked! This levers the button up releasing the two tiny tabs at the top of the button. The button flew across the car despite my intention to trap it. It landed UNDER the passenger floor mat...which sounds impossible, but that is what happened. The new button simply pops in, top side, that is windshield side, first. Perfect, and as new.

Now, just so this is a one-time event, before installing I gave the button 3 coats of Rustoleum clear satin finish - the kind specifically stated to adhere to plastic. And it does.
There are other items used on/for our Jaguars which are also available under Land Rover part numbers (at lower prices).

mcamp 03-15-2019 07:21 PM

Nice thanks for the info.... Looks like the part number for the Range Rovers "P" button is LR086213. I found it online for $6.94 however they want $9.94 to ship the thing. I was thinking of 3d printing one at some point but I may pay the 17 bucks to get one now since my worn one that's on there right now is driving me crazy every time I see it....and then whenever I find the time I can take measurements of the old worn button and 3d printing them out. I like the idea of clear coating it but I think that may wear away over time as well.

sov211 03-15-2019 08:36 PM

That is indeed the correct part number. The clear coat will not wear away...you'd have to be constantly playing with the button for that to happen (but for protection I applied 3 coats - perfectly smooth).Small things like a worn button, once noticed, seem to acquire major importance. Well worth the small cost to eliminate the irritation.

I should add that the encouragement to remove and replace the P button, as well as the instructions for doing so, came from Addict in the "What did you do to your F Type today?" thread.

Jagger47 03-16-2019 12:58 AM

Thanks for this info. My worn button has been bothering me for some time!

Brutal 03-16-2019 10:48 AM

And so the story continues of another part avail seperatly from land rover but only as an assembly from jaguar. I would much rather replace a button for free rather than loose money on a warranty repair where they dont pay enough time for the time it takes. :)

DJS 03-16-2019 11:05 AM

Addict included a picture of the part in a different thread...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post2034558

Dremorg 03-18-2019 04:54 PM

Mine worn as well. Dealer replaced.

uncheel 03-25-2019 08:43 AM

I put a post in the sticky "How To" section with part numbers, instructions, and pictures for both the Park and Start buttons:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...1&postcount=78

Thanks to all who contributed to the collective knowledge base!

Edegsx 07-02-2019 08:23 AM

Hello together,
I have also problems with the "P" button LR086213
Any idea how to replace it ??
Must I disassemble the hole gear switch ?

Best regards from Germany !!