F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your F Type today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default What did you do to your F Type today?

a bunch of the other forums I'm on have a thread similar to this and its always fun / brings up some really good discussion for members.

Today I changed the oil, replaced the "park" button on the shifter, and updated the software to get my pops / crackles back

Also I ordered a boatload of parts for spring's maintenance weekend

the park button can be purchased as a Land Rover part [jag doesn't sell it without the whole shifter assembly...which sucks...] part number: LR086213

Last edited by addict; 03-02-2019 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Washed it

Old 03-02-2019, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by addict
a bunch of the other forums I'm on have a thread similar to this and its always fun / brings up some really good discussion for members.

Today I changed the oil, replaced the "park" button on the shifter, and updated the software to get my pops / crackles back

Also I ordered a boatload of parts for spring's maintenance weekend
Pray tell, how did you replace the Park button?
There a some posts and maybe a thread about this around here somewhere and the consensus was that you can't get a new Park button without buying the whole shifter.
So did you somehow get a new Park button by itself (and if so how / where from?) or did you get a used one from somewhere, or did you need to use a complete new shifter?

Edit - found your post in the Picture thread where you give the Park button part number, thanks for that!
We now just need to know how to get the old button out and a new button in!

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-02-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Pray tell, how did you replace the Park button?
There a some posts and maybe a thread about this around here somewhere and the consensus was that you can't get a new Park button without buying the whole shifter.
So did you somehow get a new Park button by itself (and if so how / where from?) or did you get a used one from somewhere, or did you need to use a complete new shifter?

Edit - found your post in the Picture thread where you give the Park button part number, thanks for that!
We now just need to know how to get the old button out and a new button in!
ah I'll add that detail to my first post in this thread so there's an easy place to find it

see photo attached -- its just clipped in, I slipped a small flat head screwdriver under the bottom of it and quite easily popped it out -- then slipped the new one in.

Perhaps we should build a thread of part numbers for common wear items so its easier for people to find this stuff....maybe when I'm hungover and bored tomorrow I'll put together a framework.

What did you do to your F Type today?-tfsulaj.jpg

Last edited by addict; 03-02-2019 at 07:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by addict:
Carbuff2 (03-06-2019), JgaXkr (03-06-2019), OzXFR (03-02-2019), uncheel (03-16-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

ah I'll add that detail to my first post in this thread so there's an easy place to find it

see photo attached -- its just clipped in, I slipped a small flat head screwdriver under the bottom of it and quite easily popped it out -- then slipped the new one in.

Perhaps we should build a thread of part numbers for common wear items so its easier for people to find this stuff....maybe when I'm hungover and bored tomorrow I'll put together a framework.

Could you be a bit more specific about the removal of the P button cover? The photo would suggest that the cover is held in place by pins in tabs (the two pieces with holes in them -so something in the shifter handle slots into these holes as it is fitted to retain the cover firmly?) . For removal, which side did you use the flat screwdriver on - top of the P or bottom of the P? The use of the screwdriver tilts the cover to disengage the tabs? And replacement is literally just snapping it down? Forgive the fussy questions but I would not want to break any part of this.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Could you be a bit more specific about the removal of the P button cover? The photo would suggest that the cover is held in place by pins in tabs (the two pieces with holes in them -so something in the shifter handle slots into these holes as it is fitted to retain the cover firmly?) . For removal, which side did you use the flat screwdriver on - top of the P or bottom of the P? The use of the screwdriver tilts the cover to disengage the tabs? And replacement is literally just snapping it down? Forgive the fussy questions but I would not want to break any part of this.
You've pretty much nailed the description but when I get home on Thursday I can snap a quick video of the removal and replacement

Screwdriver under the button from the rear of the car, slow pressure to tilt the button allows the top clips to disengage, and button pops up -- installation is the reversal of removal [I literally just snapped it into place quite quickly].

Frankly, I didn't pay too much attention to doing this and kinda just tossed the screw driver under the button and it popped right out

Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

You've pretty much nailed the description but when I get home on Thursday I can snap a quick video of the removal and replacement

Screwdriver under the button from the rear of the car, slow pressure to tilt the button allows the top clips to disengage, and button pops up -- installation is the reversal of removal [I literally just snapped it into place quite quickly].

Frankly, I didn't pay too much attention to doing this and kinda just tossed the screw driver under the button and it popped right out
Thanks! And a video of the process would be very helpful...it isn't that I think it is difficult but rather that I would not want to cause any damage.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Washed wifes black Maser in afternoon, a pain! Doing Jag tonite as I use waterless so I don't need driveway.Way more rainy days in Vegas than usual, we usually get rain in Jan. and July but we have been getting every week plus our snow storm! No climate change? I've lived here 46 years and never have seen this combo of weather. Might rain Thur or Fri this week!

Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Washed it of course and emailed dealer, again, to schedule the install of cars 3rd differential.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Noticed the 9" of new snow in front of the barn where mine is stored...

Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Noticed the 9" of new snow in front of the barn where mine is stored...
See, and I thought I was lazy not wanting to drive my jaaag when I had to sweep the condensation puddle away from the front of my garage door where the cat sits...

Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 503 Likes on 375 Posts

About two weeks ago we installed a clear plexi wind screen in place of the mesh wind deflector. Fit was perfect with no squeaks or rattles as some other buyers reported.

Rearward visibility is SO much better! I DO notice a reflection when the sun strikes the gearshift area, but it is no worse than the reflections on the front windshield from the dash.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Had the chrome in the front, and sides wrapped in gloss black.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This morning, I awoke to the sound of hail raining down on my roof and realized I had left my F-Type in the driveway. Fortunately, the “quarter-sized” hail did absolutely no damage at all. So, today, I accidentally subjected my F-Type to hail. 🤦🏻*♂️

Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Filled up with petrol and drove it.

Same as most days although filling with fuel is generally only daily or several times daily on weekends

AnD3rew (03-19-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I thought about driving it every day since I put It up for the winter:
Although today is somewhat sunny and spring-like, there is still too much snow and salt about so..... I thought about:

-Putting the new wheels I ordered on it, although they haven't arrived yet.
-Washing and detailing it.
-Refreshing the ceramic coating.
-Washing the British flag car cover.

Since I really can't do any of these things yet, I am on the forum writing this.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Watched the odo tick over to 50,000 km this morning (or 31,068.56 miles for you heathens).

Old 03-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

P.S. Shout out to our good friend RickJay52 for sending that sunshine from Mexico today! Send some more so I can wash the car!

DJS (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Excellent, thanks for the Park button, that was next on my list. I have already replaced the start button, that was pretty easy tip for the start button is that the easiest and least destructive way to get it out is to wrap some dental floss around the trim piec surrounding the button and use that to pop it out it’s easy and works a treat.

today I replaced the paddle shifters. I am one of the few that actually like how the ignis orange looks but the quality is so crap that it looks terrible quickly and gets sticky and unpleasant to touch so went with the aluminium Another easy job just unscrew one screw behind each one pull it out unclip the wiring plug and plug in the new one and scre back up again, and while I will miss the ignis colour I think it’s a reasonable compromise.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Excellent, thanks for the Park button, that was next on my list. I have already replaced the start button, that was pretty easy tip for the start button is that the easiest and least destructive way to get it out is to wrap some dental floss around the trim piec surrounding the button and use that to pop it out it’s easy and works a treat.

today I replaced the paddle shifters. I am one of the few that actually like how the ignis orange looks but the quality is so crap that it looks terrible quickly and gets sticky and unpleasant to touch so went with the aluminium Another easy job just unscrew one screw behind each one pull it out unclip the wiring plug and plug in the new one and scre back up again, and while I will miss the ignis colour I think it’s a reasonable compromise.

Yep, I bought a new P button a few days ago from Britcar (in the UK), it should arrive any day now. $12 for the button and $26 for postage!!!
Maybe try one of your local Sydney JLR dealerships first, seeing as every time I have ever enquired about a spare part from the Adelaide JLR dealership they have said "sorry sir, we have to order it from Sydney, and that will take several days or even weeks".
My car just hit 50,000 km and the stop/start button and the Ignis paddles are still like new with not the faintest hint of fading or stickiness.
I'm a little intrigued by your flat-bottomed "sports" steering wheel, it's one of the few options mine did not come with and I have hankered after one for years now, but the cost is horrendous - now approaching $1,200 AU from Rimmer Bros in the UK with who knows how much postage cost on top of that. I have been kicking myself for nearly a year now for not getting one when it was on sale at Rimmer Bros for around $750. Point is, it looks just as smooth and black/glossy/shiny in your pic as the stock wheel, when every other pic I have seen shows the sports wheel as a textured matte grey colour. Are they all really black/shiny or has yours just worn that way?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your F Type today?