F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return The Lease Or Keep The R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AugustKelleher
I don't know what state you live in but one thing to consider is that when you buy out the lease you will have to pay the full sales tax on the buyout amount. Here in CA we only pay the tax on the lease payment. So when leasing you never pay the total sales tax on the car.
IL used to be like that. Thank God it changed a couple years ago. In Cook County you were actually triple taxed before the law changed.

Originally Posted by SinF
My suggestion is to keep the car, but " R "might" have some future value" is the wrong reason to do so. There is absolutely no guarantee that this would happen, or that it would happen within 30 years.
I wouldn't be keeping it as an investment / THE reason to keep it wouldn't be the future value. That would just be a positive possibility. It's impossible to say what will be worth something or worthless in the future. But with the present information this car probably won't be worthless. But even if it was that wouldn't bother me much. Ownership of the beautiful car is the primary reason for the purchase originally and now if I keep it.

You can get one in decent shape for about $75K. Now take E-type price at its lowest point, then invest these money in the stock market to compare return on investment. Even if you purchased perfect E-type at the lowest valuation and it needed nothing in maintenance, you are still not beating index fund.
Agreed. Very few cars will ever truly be investment grade. Better off putting that money in real estate, or the market, vs. into a car. But...I've never heard of a stock or a rental property that has the same snap and crackle of the R's V8!!

And as for the RWD vs. AWD argument...I'm on the side of RWD is more fun, but AWD is better for practicality. This car is about fun, not necessarily practicality.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

[QUOTE=2015Coupe;2001658
Agreed. Very few cars will ever truly be investment grade. Better off putting that money in real estate, or the market, vs. into a car.[/QUOTE] RE isn’t an investment panacea either. I own some property in SoCal that’s worth 35% less today than 15 years ago.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:07 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
Yup! Life is short.
Not if folks like me are really having a mid-life crisis!

Old 12-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Ultimately...I'm in love with this R, and trying to talk myself out of it. I'm very much an analytical person who makes concise analytical decisions. This one is a heart vs. brain decision and the heart never wins with me. So my brain is trying to argue the heart is wrong right now. Haha.
Sounds like you and I are very similar. I also picked up a IRR R coupe but mine is the '17 model with AWD. Fully agree that our color is the best for this particular vehicle. I also leased mine with a plan to buy it at the end of the 30 month 10K/year lease term. I own a X5 diesel for my daily driver but find myself driving my R more than you possibly due to better weather here in the southeast.

As for becoming a collectors item... I'd say that is a longshot as most who have driven each typically prefer the AWD as it's easily to put the power down and control on the track which was the reason Jag HAD to move away from the RWD (they were as un-ruly as a TVR on most tracks and on the road). Naturally, the propensity for disaster and a reduction in the numbers also comes along with that aspect so if yours "survives" in great condition some 30 years from now then it could still be worth the current $60K value.

One of my logics was that the v8 is becoming rare and will be even more so in the future so if you want to keep one of the strongest v8 models, hang onto it regardless of costs. I am a bit concerned that I'll be tempted to buy the mid-engine version once it comes out regardless of the size of it's cylinders but luckily I have over 2 years left on my lease. These cars are a HOOT and there is nothing else within $50K that can keep up with Porsche 911s through the mountain twisties. I don't run them that often but it IS rewarding to own this monster and have it at my disposal. It sounds like you may feel the same. My vote... KEEP IT regardless of future value simple ... because.

PS - I have an investment property (lot) at a Ski resort in West Virginia whose currently market value is equivalent to the buyout value of my R but the resort is planning some new development that will turn my lot into basically a slope-side lot which would double or possibly even triple the value by the time this lease is due so I may end up being able to simply write a check for the buyout which, at least in my mind, would be a no-brainer of just keeping the Jag with the proceeds. Sure, I could re-invest in something else but doubt anything else would provide as much satisfaction as this Jag.

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-16-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Investment analogy
Old 12-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This car is about fun, not necessarily practicality.
Spot on. I kept my F-type, despite it being mitigated disaster so far. I have enough regrets in my life to not pile on "gave up my F-type" onto this list.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
RE isn’t an investment panacea either. I own some property in SoCal that’s worth 35% less today than 15 years ago.
Bummer. Well...you only realize a gain/loss once you sell, so if you hold on long enough maybe it'll become a profitable investment! lol

Originally Posted by scm
Not if folks like me are really having a mid-life crisis!
Originally Posted by ndabunka
My vote... KEEP IT regardless of future value simple ... because.
Agree with most points, except on the RWD. Even though I do agree the AWD is a better driver, the RWD is more fun. And when it comes to future possible collectivity, I think people would want the rarer RWD, and also the more fun RWD over the AWD. However, as mentioned, who knows about any of that stuff. That's just a side argument to all of this. I like your point about keeping it, just because.

Spot on. I kept my F-type, despite it being mitigated disaster so far. I have enough regrets in my life to not pile on "gave up my F-type" onto this list.
Haha. Oddly enough I really don't have any regrets to be honest. I mean maybe I could have more $ in the bank if I didn't want to do some of the stupid stuff I've done in the past, but I prefer all of the memories (like tracking motorcycles, or scuba diving in Mallorca) over the cash. I'm not an emotional person, so this car is truly the only car I've every really wanted to keep. Even some dream cars of mine the like B7 RS4 I had, which I still love and miss, I do not regret selling after 17 months. I had it, enjoyed it, and didn't lose too much $ over the 17 months on it, so I was happy to part with it at the time and still feel the same about it now. Even though I loved owning it.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Eliminate financial return-on-investment justifications from your mind.
Do consider that there is no sports car more viscerally fulfilling for 60K.
If that fits your budget, good for you; however, can the 60K be used to further your business venture(s)? If you would be investing in a business that you own, look at your ability to buy viscerally fulfilling cars in the future with the return on your investiment into your business.
Do factor in your retirement.

Best,

Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Sounds like you love it, personally I would keep it but I'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine. Buying the same car a second time isnt my cup of tea. No novelty factor and you wouldnt know how it had been treated. It'd be like divorcing your missus and then marrying her identical twin 2 years later.

I loved my first XF and had it nearly 5 years. I traded it for the newer one and the novelty wore off after a few months (or never really wore on) so I got rid of it after a year.

The following users liked this post:
scm (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Bummer. Well...you only realize a gain/loss once you sell, so if you hold on long enough maybe it'll become a profitable investment
Not an issue. Still worth double what we bought it for 35 years ago, but a crappy investment compared to the stock market.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Haha. Oddly enough I really don't have any regrets to be honest....this car is truly the only car I've every really wanted to keep. Even some dream cars of mine the like B7 RS4 I had, which I still love and miss, I do not regret selling after 17 months. I had it, enjoyed it, and didn't lose too much $ over the 17 months on it, so I was happy to part with it at the time and still feel the same about it now. Even though I loved owning it.
Another thing I can directly related to as I had a Mercedes CLK 55 ///AMG back when it was the "fastest production vehicle produced" (in 2001) it was a hand-built naturally aspirated v8 torque monster capable of 0-to-60 times of 4.0 or slightly below with the right tires. I bought mine from a guy going through a divorce for his payoff and only owned it for... 17 months... after which I sold it to a banker out of NYC for a couple of grand more than I had paid for it. I can't tell you how many Firebirds, Camaros & Mustangs were COMPLETELY surprised by that sleeper. NOBODY other than a very few of us really knew what these things were Enjoyed it and moved it along.

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-17-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Follow your brain. You can always buy another F-Type, and you may not even miss it in a few months.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Another thing I can directly related to as I had a Mercedes CLK 55 ///AMG back when it was the "fastest production vehicle produced" (in 2001) it was a hand-built naturally aspirated v8 torque monster capable of 0-to-60 times of 4.0 or slightly below with the right tires. I bought mine from a guy going through a divorce for his payoff and only owned it for... 17 months... after which I sold it to a banker out of NYC for a couple of grand more than I had paid for it. I can't tell you how many Firebirds, Camaros & Mustangs were COMPLETELY surprised by that sleeper. NOBODY other than a very few of us really knew what these things were Enjoyed it and moved it along.

I had a 2005 SLK55 which was also all engine. I was always getting picked on by Mustangs, Camaros and GTO's...... The look on their face was priceless. I had a blast with that car and am now having even more fun with the Cat!

Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

So many good opinions for your decisioning. Ndabunka made most sense to me. I am pleased to add that if, repeat if, I had the good sense -- and favorable financial situation at that time -- to keep my original 61 E type, I would be well ahead at this time. It was a THRILL to drive, not as much as the F, but comparable for it's time. And, as I've followed values, the E would be worth an easy quarter million today. (Both tops, black, #400 in production, aluminum dash, wires, stamped bonnet louvers inserts...etc) Plus, as others have said, you get to enjoy it twixt now and ultimate sale if that were to occur. Not the same with my papered, or RE investments, which are just numbers on statements. (Growing, thankfully, yet no visceral thrill) So, my take, keep it and enjoy it.
Let us know what you decide.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

2915Coupe, the fact that you are asking a group of F Type owners kinda answers your own question. You obviously love the car and want to keep it. If you return it, will you lease or finance another car? Unless you own a business where you can write off the lease and other car expenses, leasing a vehicle is not a financially sound decision. If you can write of the lease and car expenses, lease another one! If you need to replace the car for transportation, why not buy it or finance it. Typically with a lease turn in, you can negotiate a buyout at or below wholesale value. You may be able to keep the car and lower your monthly payment. If you need the money later you can always sell the car.

Will the car be a collector item in the future? Maybe, but I don't expect to be around long enough to realize it. If I wanted to invest in a future collector item it wouldn't be an F Type. I'd buy a Viper, Ferrari, 911, E Type or a 50's or 60' Corvette. I thought about buying one of these, but love … love … love the F Type.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IndyCruiser
2915Coupe, the fact that you are asking a group of F Type owners kinda answers your own question. You obviously love the car and want to keep it. If you return it, will you lease or finance another car? Unless you own a business where you can write off the lease and other car expenses, leasing a vehicle is not a financially sound decision. If you can write of the lease and car expenses, lease another one! If you need to replace the car for transportation, why not buy it or finance it. Typically with a lease turn in, you can negotiate a buyout at or below wholesale value. You may be able to keep the car and lower your monthly payment. If you need the money later you can always sell the car.

Will the car be a collector item in the future? Maybe, but I don't expect to be around long enough to realize it. If I wanted to invest in a future collector item it wouldn't be an F Type. I'd buy a Viper, Ferrari, 911, E Type or a 50's or 60' Corvette. I thought about buying one of these, but love … love … love the F Type.
A 911? Those will never be rare...there’s far too many of them.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Here I am, past my self-imposed Monday deadline, still thinking about it!!

It's due on the 26th, so I'm already cutting it close to get the lease turn-in inspection done...so maybe if I wait too long, I'll just be forced to have to keep it.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Here I am, past my self-imposed Monday deadline, still thinking about it!!

It's due on the 26th, so I'm already cutting it close to get the lease turn-in inspection done...so maybe if I wait too long, I'll just be forced to have to keep it.
I think all who have followed this saga understand that you were looking for support in the decision to keep it.

scm (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
I think all who have followed this saga understand that you were looking for support in the decision to keep it.
You're not wrong. Probably just looking for more people to confirm I'm not crazy by wanting to keep it, or someone to give some good conversation points towards turning it in to make me think about more.

scm (12-18-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 06:29 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Turn it in, after all it is only a car and not a spouse. On second thought, you could probably turn a spouse in too!

Old 12-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

If you start figuring cost per mile on these cars you will go finacially insane. My 5+ year F Type has alittle more than 18k miles and our 20 month Maser 6800! Only saving grace is we are retired and it's a luxury for us.

Quick Reply: Return The Lease Or Keep The R?