Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Sticky buttons. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/sticky-buttons-187008/)

Deemo 06-19-2019 09:57 AM

During my research, I found this jaguar owner on YouTube that seems to have some success with make up remover pads. I’m going to give this a shot later today.

WJV 06-19-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deemo (Post 2087137)
During my research, I found this jaguar owner on YouTube that seems to have some success with make up remover pads. I’m going to give this a shot later today.

https://youtu.be/03olnY9xHUY

Please don't do that to your car. The results look terrible. That woman has ruined her XJ's interior. The new buttons and plastics no longer have the same soft-touch coatings. I'd recommend replacing in lieu of attempting to clean the coating off, just do a few pieces/buttons at a time (as your budget permits), eventually doing them all. There aren't that many pieces in our cars that need doing anyway.

SS4PK 06-19-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2087057)
The aromatic solvents (benzene, toluene, xylene, etc.) are extremely harsh. I won't go anywhere near the car with any of those. By comparison, ethanol is very benign, but will remove oils and certain adhesives without attacking finishes.

I’ve gathered from your past petrol post you are a scientist too. Yes aromatics are harsh.

Unhingd 06-19-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SS4PK (Post 2087354)
I’ve gathered from your past petrol post you are a scientist too. Yes aromatics are harsh.

Yes...applied scientist (engineer) in a former life, but I still bleed motor oil.

Brutal 06-20-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by wjv (Post 2087247)
please don't do that to your car. The results look terrible. That woman has ruined her xj's interior. The new buttons and plastics no longer have the same soft-touch coatings. I'd recommend replacing in lieu of attempting to clean the coating off, just do a few pieces/buttons at a time (as your budget permits), eventually doing them all. There aren't that many pieces in our cars that need doing anyway.

all relativly cheap till you have to buy the shifter and ac control panel

bnameth 06-23-2019 03:55 PM

I used liquid laundry soap(widow uses arm & hammer). Get an artist brush, dip it in the laundry soap, brush it onto the sticky surface, wait 5 to 10 minutes and then use a small cotton cloth to wipe off the gunk. Then get a damp cloth to wipe off any left overs. Let dry. Now if this old man could figure out the gps system!

Nedoerr 06-23-2019 09:56 PM

I tried isopropanol and/or ethanol, worked okay.

Also so tried 20mL cooking oil with one drop of liquid dish soap in it, worked great.

I prefer the oil and soap mix to the isopropanol because it doesn’t evaporate while you try to work off the goop.

Just wipe it sparingly onto your buttons using a q-tip (ear cotton swab). Then use your fingernail to rub back and forth to help scrape off the sticky layer. Comes off easily. Wipe off excess goop and oil with clean paper towel. Then clean with damp paper towel to remove residual trace amounts of oil. Buttons will remain perfectly labeled (actually easier to read) and will feel great.

frostysauce 06-24-2019 09:18 AM

As has been mentioned, the newer OEM buttons don't have the same finish and are very durable. You can replace the switches in the shifter module individually, but you're SOL if the shifter itself is in bad shape.

fssutton 08-14-2019 06:38 PM

sticky/CPO warranty

I have a 2015 F type that is a CPO vehicle. I have numerous interior areas that are sticky (l/r door triangular trim, l/r window switch and housing, interior door handles on the inside , steering wheel housing and all buttons, l/r side vent housing, interior f center section grab handle,some other dash and center console buttons). I went to the dealer who said not covered by CPO filed claim with Jag USA and to date declined, issue pending with Jaguar/BBB auto line. I think there is sufficient written documentation to support that the CPO warranty is supposed to be "bumper to bumper". Additionally, numerous automobile 3rd party entities also believe the CPO warranty is bumper to bumper but to date Jaguar USA maintains the warranty covers electric and mechanical issues only. They refence it being a limited warranty. If it is a warranty on top the original new vehicle warranty was that warranty also limited (abuse not included). Jag refuses to deny he claim in writing and also plays "hide the weeny" with the CPO covered/not covered list????????????
All that being said ,I have tried on my own per the info I have obtained on the forum; I have use goo gone, wd-40, 409, nail polish remover , water, paper towels.credit card, microcloths and a lot of elbow grease. You can remove the vast majority of this surface "mess" with a lot of tenacity and elbow grease. It will eventually loosen up and peel off like your skin peeling from over exposure to the sun. You iwll have to reapply the various chems and rub, rub, rub. Be careful with the credit card as on the door trim you can remove the underlying color and go straight to the black plastic(not desired). Unlike on the steering wheel where you really need to go to the slick black plastic base.

If a CPO warranty is important to you I would be very careful and read it (if you can get it) in detail prior to buying a vehicle. Right now, I am not too impressed with what they claim is a warranty which is on top of (means to me extends) the original new vehicle warranty.

bjg625 08-14-2019 11:00 PM

Question is was car like this when you bought it?

fssutton 08-15-2019 06:00 AM

sticky/CPO warranty

I would have to say yes as I have had it for 5 months. I initially thought it was all because of the detailing the dealer did and that it would go away with time/other cleaning by me. I had no idea this was an issue with Jaguar's over several models and years. I didn't even know about the Jaguar forum when I bought the car. I was locked onto a CPO warranty and believed everything people like Autotrader etc said about the Jaguar warranty.

xrix4096 08-15-2019 06:16 AM

On the same subject has anyone else had a problem with the park button on the shifter? Luckily that's the only plastic in my interior that has gone sticky (the start / stop button is worn but I've a replacement on order) and when trying to clean it the "P" has smudged. I can't see the button available as a separate part so would have to replace the whole shifter!

OzXFR 08-15-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by xrix4096 (Post 2113532)
On the same subject has anyone else had a problem with the park button on the shifter? Luckily that's the only plastic in my interior that has gone sticky (the start / stop button is worn but I've a replacement on order) and when trying to clean it the "P" has smudged. I can't see the button available as a separate part so would have to replace the whole shifter!

Yep, very common for that button to be scratched or damaged, mine was from the start.
For a long time we all thought as you that it was replace the whole shifter or nothing (mucho $) but forum member "addict" showed us a few months ago that the exact same button but as a Land Rover version was available as a separate part for cheap, see here for example: https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p..._sport_2014_on
Just get the LR part from your local JLR dealership, flip the old button out and press the new one in, 30 second job!

xrix4096 08-15-2019 08:04 AM

Fantastic, you are a life saver. Ordered.

Brutal 08-15-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by fssutton (Post 2113304)
if a cpo warranty is important to you i would be very careful and read it (if you can get it) in detail prior to buying a vehicle. Right now, i am not too impressed with what they claim is a warranty which is on top of (means to me extends) the original new vehicle warranty.

sorry but no ext warranty or cpo of any car manufacturer i have ever delt with covers trim items, any hose, belt etc. The buttons are considered trim unless there is a electrical failure in the switches, shifter etc. And the sticky buttons are a isue with all the manufacturers that use it.

xrix4096 08-19-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2113536)
Yep, very common for that button to be scratched or damaged, mine was from the start.
For a long time we all thought as you that it was replace the whole shifter or nothing (mucho $) but forum member "addict" showed us a few months ago that the exact same button but as a Land Rover version was available as a separate part for cheap, see here for example: https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p..._sport_2014_on
Just get the LR part from your local JLR dealership, flip the old button out and press the new one in, 30 second job!

Ah, so satisfying.... thank you

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...c730a23fa7.jpg
Happiness is a new button

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...01d8947140.jpg
This one was driving me nuts

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9bdad6ea04.jpg
Much better

PatJags156 10-16-2019 11:20 AM

There seems to be a bit of back and forth here. Has anyone found a solid DIY solution for this issue?

dmchao 10-17-2019 09:03 AM

I use Up&Up hand lotion (~$3 at Target) and repeatedly apply and remove with a microfiber cloth and elbow grease. I didn't go into it expecting it to work.
It took me about an hour to do all steering wheel switches and dash pieces in my XJ.

fssutton 10-17-2019 10:49 AM

I used a combination of products: 409,goo gone, alcholol and wd-40 and alternated rubbing with microfire and paper towels and a credit card. Takes a lot of time and rubbing. Multiple layers so just when you think you are done you discover another layer.

David Meier 10-19-2019 05:56 PM

There's a recent conversation on this started by me. It's a rubberized coating that's coming off. It's tedious, but it will come off.