F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky buttons.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sticky buttons.

I have a 2014 V8S the buttons in the center console for the roof,exhaust, etc have become very sticky. I also have the same issue with the center of the steering wheel. It's got real bad in the last month. Will call my local dealer tomorrow. Surely this is covered under warranty. I only clean with a damp cloth. Anyone else had this issue?

Old 08-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

You have to stop eating cracker jack and ice cream while driving.

Did someone spill something in your car and not tell you?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Use some denatured alcohol to clean them. The oil from your fingers has turned to wax on the surface.

The following users liked this post:
Deemo (06-18-2019)
Old 08-07-2017, 05:00 AM

It looks like the plastic is degrading. On the steering wheel, the plastic looks like the coating is melting. I think it's more of a warranty issue.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

In an effort to be more helpful than my previous post, if you google the effect of certain sunscreen, bug spray or hand lotions have on car interior materials you will find many citations where people have had damage done to plastic and painted bits by these substances.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Dont do anything, there's a bulletin to replace all these items and more with the softouch coating that gets sticky and melts in high temp/humidity. Its covered under warranty if still in waranty

Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks Brutal, I'm down here in Florida, that would make sense. I didn't get a chance to call the dealer today.

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brutal - do you know the bulletin number that references the sticky surface situation?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 PM

Get it into dealer asap. I had an issue with this. I told them it gets worse with the top down and sun on them. I was told since not as bad when the top is up, it's a wear and tear issue not covered even though my car is under full original warranty and some of the coating scratched off. The hell it isn't. I called corporate Jag and got it fixed. This car is fantastic, that has been my only complaint btw. But, come on, don't tell me to put the top up so some mouse fart of a cost for Jaguar buttons aren't as sticky when I go to use them in a car that was $110k only 3 years ago. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 AM

I emailed my service rep and he just fobbed me off saying, its Florida and the heat humidity cause the issue. If the buttons would be changed, then it would do it again. I replied to tell him this wasn't a satisfactory response and the buttons need to be changed.

He saids he needs to speak to the service manager, can't understand why its so difficult. I have a black BMW 2013, it sits in the baking sun all day. I have no issues with it, I expect no issues from the jag.

I will keep you updated.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 AM

HTML Code:

Originally Posted by suns
Brutal - do you know the bulletin number that references the sticky surface situation?
JTB00447

Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by brioss
i emailed my service rep and he just fobbed me off saying, its florida and the heat humidity cause the issue. If the buttons would be changed, then it would do it again. I replied to tell him this wasn't a satisfactory response and the buttons need to be changed.

He saids he needs to speak to the service manager, can't understand why its so difficult. I have a black bmw 2013, it sits in the baking sun all day. I have no issues with it, i expect no issues from the jag.

I will keep you updated.
i get appalled at some of this needless bs i see on here sometimes. Theres no need to **** people off on known issues theyre experiancing. (dont run in with a tsb and the issue not happening, doesnt work that way.)
i do call out dealers and shops doing bs like this. Jaguar is a very good overall company which can be soured as any company can by a dealer or individual.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My buttons and paddles got sticky, nothing I did to them. The dealer replaced all under warranty.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
i get appalled at some of this needless bs i see on here sometimes. Theres no need to **** people off on known issues theyre experiancing. (dont run in with a tsb and the issue not happening, doesnt work that way.)
i do call out dealers and shops doing bs like this. Jaguar is a very good overall company which can be soured as any company can by a dealer or individual.
Not sure what you mean, I had no intention of running in with the TSB. I had no even asked about it. I'm not intending to "**** off" anyone.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 AM

No not you, but others that i have read on here over the years that think a tsb in something like a recall(its not) and the dealer has to fix it even if not a issue. Tsb are only guides from manufacturers to known issues and how they want them fixed or handled. And the pissing off I did refer to you, but in your dealer pissing YOU off not the other way around

Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a used 2014 jaguar F type B8 I bought it online and had it shipped to me and I am facing the exact same issue and I basically screwed for Willow Jagwire do anything about this

Originally Posted by Brioss
I have a 2014 V8S the buttons in the center console for the roof,exhaust, etc have become very sticky. I also have the same issue with the center of the steering wheel. It's got real bad in the last month. Will call my local dealer tomorrow. Surely this is covered under warranty. I only clean with a damp cloth. Anyone else had this issue?

Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ARMANDO GONZALEZ
I just bought a used 2014 jaguar F type B8 I bought it online and had it shipped to me and I am facing the exact same issue and I basically screwed for Willow Jagwire do anything about this
Same here Mando... my car just got here yesterday and everything is sticky! I'm gonna order the denatured alchohol and I'll report back

Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I have removed that coating on a point and shoot camera with toluene and it dissolved the coating well. The coating may not be soluble in denatured alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It is always best to try it on a hidden location, possibly the bottom of the paddle shifter. I have not used it on my car yet since it is under warrantee.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
I have removed that coating on a point and shoot camera with toluene and it dissolved the coating well. The coating may not be soluble in denatured alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It is always best to try it on a hidden location, possibly the bottom of the paddle shifter. I have not used it on my car yet since it is under warrantee.
The aromatic solvents (benzene, toluene, xylene, etc.) are extremely harsh. I won't go anywhere near the car with any of those. By comparison, ethanol is very benign, but will remove oils and certain adhesives without attacking finishes.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

In one of the other sub-forums, they suggested that applying unscented hand lotion to the buttons, then wiping them clean, may fix it. I haven't tried this yet, I'm just living with sticky buttons. Most cleaners will take the printed legend off the button, or so I've read.

Quick Reply: Sticky buttons.