F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jboss1
I have a 2016 RR Sport (same 340 hp v6) and a 2016 Ftype V6s. The lurch you describe is what ruined the experience of the VAP tune for the RR Sport, there was a very sensitive area of the RPM range where it would make the car lunge like crazy and then dip every time it shifted because of how much torque is dumped during a shift. I imagine this lurch is much worse on the RR because of the slower shifts designed for comfort and since VAP can't touch the trans computer or shift points there isn't much they can do except play around with the throttle map / add air. In summary, I bought a tune for my RR Sport and because of that issue I removed it and went back to stock. Wasted 1k and voided my warranty. I know this is an Ftype forum, but I would not recommend the tune on anything but an Ftype, it will make the car drive like crap. My ftype V6s doesn't have a tune yet because I figured it would ruin the part throttle on that too. Peoples heads literally whip lash in the RR sport during part throttle because of this lurch. I would warn any Fpace drivers about the same issue and how it will constantly impact drive-ability when you drive normally and not sporty.

I'm not ******* the tune, it works as described, I've tune many cars in the past but never experienced such an non-linear power increase that always catches you off guard.
It literally feels like someone flipped a light switch around that 3k rpm range and a specific light throttle position. My wife even noticed it and complained when I didn't tell her about the tune at all.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

I have a 2016 RR Sport (same 340 hp v6) and a 2016 Ftype V6s. The lurch you describe is what ruined the experience of the VAP tune for the RR Sport, there was a very sensitive area of the RPM range where it would make the car lunge like crazy and then dip every time it shifted because of how much torque is dumped during a shift. I imagine this lurch is much worse on the RR because of the slower shifts designed for comfort and since VAP can't touch the trans computer or shift points there isn't much they can do except play around with the throttle map / add air. In summary, I bought a tune for my RR Sport and because of that issue I removed it and went back to stock. Wasted 1k and voided my warranty. I know this is an Ftype forum, but I would not recommend the tune on anything but an Ftype, it will make the car drive like crap. My ftype V6s doesn't have a tune yet because I figured it would ruin the part throttle on that too. Peoples heads literally whip lash in the RR sport during part throttle because of this lurch. I would warn any Fpace drivers about the same issue and how it will constantly impact drive-ability when you drive normally and not sporty.

I'm not ******* the tune, it works as described, I've tune many cars in the past but never experienced such an non-linear power increase that always catches you off guard.

Sorry to hear you weren't ultimately happy with our tune. Throttle sensitivity is something that can be adjusted on an individual basis so if you email chris at tuning@velocityap.com he should be able to work with you to get your tune working in a way that you like.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I noted something similar in Dynamic mode but as Stuart points out, Chris was able to give a tweaked tune which fixed it for me...

Ymmv

Old 06-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I noted something similar in Dynamic mode but as Stuart points out, Chris was able to give a tweaked tune which fixed it for me...

Ymmv
Same. Fixed quite easily. All based around how you use the pedal compared to the next guy.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Same. Fixed quite easily. All based around how you use the pedal compared to the next guy.

An important point, and one of the reasons why we write every file individually for these cars and not 'off the shelf.' We have written the file as described above as being jerky, and some people have requested even more/sharper throttle response.

Horses for courses as the Brits would say. So we generally have a Goldilocks porridge version on the throttle response/torque demand and then adjust up or down if people request it. Same with pops & crackles. Some want tons, some want none!

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It actually doesn't have to do with the pedal itself. It will do the same thing in cruise control when climbing a hill, you will feel the surge on/off as the car tries to maintain speed. It has something to do with the actual map. I understand that some tricks can be played with the throttle to mitigate the effects, just not a fan killing power in the range where it happens. Something is just not right about the tune in that regard, probably something to do with boost which is why I don't fully understand why it can't be fixed at the map-level. I wouldn't say it is individual to me as a person, like I mentioned, people who have driven the car with no idea of the tune commented on how odd it drove. Its definitely very very noticeable in RR sport versus a lighter and likely different shift pattern f-type but I suspect its the same issue.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Sponsor

It actually doesn't have to do with the pedal itself. It will do the same thing in cruise control when climbing a hill, you will feel the surge on/off as the car tries to maintain speed. It has something to do with the actual map. I understand that some tricks can be played with the throttle to mitigate the effects, just not a fan killing power in the range where it happens. Something is just not right about the tune in that regard, probably something to do with boost which is why I don't fully understand why it can't be fixed at the map-level. I wouldn't say it is individual to me as a person, like I mentioned, people who have driven the car with no idea of the tune commented on how odd it drove. Its definitely very very noticeable in RR sport versus a lighter and likely different shift pattern f-type but I suspect its the same issue.

I'm not suggesting that there's something wrong with the pedal itself, but the way that the car responds to pedal inputs is related to the torque demand requested by the ECU for a corresponding pedal input. It's not a 'trick' it is completely integral to the actual tune itself. We can alter this section of the map so that it demands less torque, basically limiting the power output in that RPM range.

I would recommend continuing to work with Chris on the issue if it isn't 100% to your liking. However, the relationship between throttle sensitivity and torque demand and ultimate output is such that you can't have one without the other.

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-01-2018, 05:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just ordered the VAP tune and pulley for my v6 s awd.

Waiting for delivery. Got myself a VBOX Sport to measure performance before and after, will post the results. Has anyone measured the acceleration time before and after the tune?

My car now is 5.1 s to 100 kmh and 18.66 s to 200 kmh. Would be very happy if after tune and pulley will be in 15.xx to 200 kmh. Would that be possible?

Old 07-01-2018, 05:20 PM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Brava
Just ordered the VAP tune and pulley for my v6 s awd.

Waiting for delivery. Got myself a VBOX Sport to measure performance before and after, will post the results. Has anyone measured the acceleration time before and after the tune?

My car now is 5.1 s to 100 kmh and 18.66 s to 200 kmh. Would be very happy if after tune and pulley will be in 15.xx to 200 kmh. Would that be possible?
I think a more realistic reduced time would be something in the range of 0.4-0.5 seconds off your 200kph time.

An F-Type R will trap the 1/4mile in 120-122mph (194-196kph), a stock car will do 11.5-11.9 and a tune file+pulley will get 11.0-11.4. That's a car with 542bhp modded to around +605bhp(63bhp gain) getting only -0.5 seconds from 0-195kph. Your car is 374bhp and tuned to 416bhp(42bhp). There's obviously more variables than just peak bhp, but just mentioning the above so your not puzzled at seeing your tuned 200kph time.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 PM

Got the crank pulley too, so it should be good for 450 bhp as per your site. So all in all an 80 bhp increase.

on your example, the FType R traps the quarter mile at the same speed before and after the tune? Can’t be right I guess.

Last edited by Brava; 07-01-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

on your example, the FType R traps the quarter mile at the same speed before and after the tune? Can’t be right I guess.
I gained a couple MPH on average. See sig.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I also gained a few mpg cruising on the highway. Once you get into the throttle, it’s a different story . On spirited drives on backroads interesting enough my fuel economy is the same. It’s probably because I can be in a higher gear in many turns with the tune’s extra torque.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here, on a V6 F Pace with tune and pulley, I get 26-27mpg instead of the official 23mpg at 60-70mph cruise.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I gained a couple MPH on average.
+1.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

Got the crank pulley too, so it should be good for 450 bhp as per your site. So all in all an 80 bhp increase.

Lets say a stock version did 122mph, a tuned version could be 123-125mph. You might notice a larger gain on your 3.0 trap due to the crank increasing the torque down low but you'd be amazed what 2-3mph on the 1/4 mile will look like on the same car in the same situations. I don't have any timeslips from clients but I'm sure ppl would be willing to post slips to compare before and afters.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

+2 on MPG. Just did a stint a month back in WV. Following a fast pack of wild dogs up and down, winding the heavens out of my six speed.
Pulled in for gas after 150 miles. 18.8 mpg
Around town I picked up 2mpg daily driving. Such a nice tune! Lower pulley and tune on V6-S 6 speed.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Lets say a stock version did 122mph, a tuned version could be 123-125mph. You might notice a larger gain on your 3.0 trap due to the crank increasing the torque down low but you'd be amazed what 2-3mph on the 1/4 mile will look like on the same car in the same situations. I don't have any timeslips from clients but I'm sure ppl would be willing to post slips to compare before and afters.
ok, so a tuned one will get to 200kmh in 11-11.4, while a stock one is measured at 13.2 in average to 200 kmh (source zeperfs.com). So 2 seconds on the R. And right, a bit larger gains on the 3.0 as you said, and here I am in the high 15.xx.

I had an RS5 with 1,800 kg and 450 bhp, right where my F Type should be. That car was doing 15.9 to 200kmh, with a lot less torque. I see no reason the tuned F Type should not be at least there.

will see, I am very anxious anyway, looking forward for the delivery 👍

Old 07-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
I don't have any timeslips from clients but I'm sure ppl would be willing to post slips to compare before and afters.
Stock:

Tuned:

Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

ok, so a tuned one will get to 200kmh in 11-11.4, while a stock one is measured at 13.2 in average to 200 kmh (source zeperfs.com). So 2 seconds on the R. And right, a bit larger gains on the 3.0 as you said, and here I am in the high 15.xx.
Don’t know where you got your numbers, but the difference is tenths of a second, not whole seconds.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R