Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Window Tint - Yes or No? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/window-tint-yes-no-132378/)

PD2911 12-03-2014 06:38 PM

Window Tint - Yes or No?

Thought I would tint the windows, but the salesman says he prefers it without tint.

What do you all think about tint?

TIA

Foosh 12-03-2014 06:45 PM

It already comes with tinted glass , and I agree with your dealer. Dark tint is illegal on driver and pax windows in my state, but even if it weren't, I'm not into the "celebrity limo" look.

Lovemonet 12-03-2014 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by PD2911 (Post 1113924)
Thought I would tint the windows, but the salesman says he prefers it without tint.

What do you all think about tint?

TIA

I am in the same dilemma. I want tint for the sun block/heat since I am in Florida but don't anything too dark. Thinking maybe 30% or35%?

JimC64 12-03-2014 06:54 PM

Personally, I think a medium tint, smoked will be nice and good for heat and a little privacy.

I don't like the limo black pimped out look on any car to be honest and would ruin any F type imo

Black15 12-03-2014 06:56 PM

What color is the car?

StealthPilot 12-03-2014 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet (Post 1113930)
I am in the same dilemma. I want tint for the sun block/heat since I am in Florida but don't anything too dark. Thinking maybe 30% or35%?

30 or 35% is a pretty dark tint. I would go for 75%. Look at Prestige Photosync 75. That will block a lot of heat (better than any non-Prestige dark tint) and it will preserve the OEM look.

Also if you care about heat reduction you have to do the windshield. A 75% tint won't be noticeable on windshield - I had it on my 2013 M5.

changingup 12-03-2014 07:32 PM

I am getting mine tinted Florida legal, actually done through the dealer and included in the price.

Lovemonet 12-03-2014 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by changingup (Post 1113968)
I am getting mine tinted Florida legal, actually done through the dealer and included in the price.

What percent tint? My dealer will be doing mine also.

Foosh 12-03-2014 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by StealthPilot (Post 1113940)
30 or 35% is a pretty dark tint. I would go for 75%. Look at Prestige Photosync 75. That will block a lot of heat (better than any non-Prestige dark tint) and it will preserve the OEM look.

Also if you care about heat reduction you have to do the windshield. A 75% tint won't be noticeable on windshield - I had it on my 2013 M5.

I don't know for sure, but I would WAG that the OEM side and rear glass is pretty close to 75% as delivered.

ldmack3 12-03-2014 08:06 PM

Since the visors don't rotate to the side I really needed something to block some of the sun. I got my side windows done in the Texas maximum which I believe is 38%. Looks fine with Salsa Red and helps tremendously.

StealthPilot 12-03-2014 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1113978)
I don't know for sure, but I would WAG that the OEM side and rear glass is pretty close to 75% as delivered.

It stacks. So you lose another 25% light. But what makes the Prestige special is it eliminates 94% of Infra red. Most tints do nothing for IR.

The OEM glass is already filtering UV.

MI-FType 12-03-2014 08:21 PM

I am a big fan of tint and have done it on many of my cars. However, I have noticed that the glass on the F-Type is actually pretty dark from the factory, so I think I am going to hold off for a bit and see how it goes before adding any tint.

Foosh 12-03-2014 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MI-FType (Post 1113991)
I am a big fan of tint and have done it on many of my cars. However, I have noticed that the glass on the F-Type is actually pretty dark from the factory, so I think I am going to hold off for a bit and see how it goes before adding any tint.

That's exactly the way I felt. Through a very bright and hot summer, I didn't feel the need for any additional tint on the OEM glass. I've also added tint on many other cars.

mm767cap 12-03-2014 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I initially wasn't going to tint mine, but the guy that wrapped my chrome and did the clear bra offered it to me for a ridiculous price, so I went ahead and did it. SOOOO glad. It looks WAY better in my opinion. At least against the white paint. I didn't go crazy dark, just a little bit to simplify the visuals on the car.

Attachment 226450

Lovemonet 12-04-2014 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by mm767cap (Post 1114057)
I initially wasn't going to tint mine, but the guy that wrapped my chrome and did the clear bra offered it to me for a ridiculous price, so I went ahead and did it. SOOOO glad. It looks WAY better in my opinion. At least against the white paint. I didn't go crazy dark, just a little bit to simplify the visuals on the car.

https://i.imgur.com/YkWiCf0.jpg

I like that as you can still see into the car some. What percent please?

Lovemonet 12-04-2014 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by StealthPilot (Post 1113940)

Is the Prestige film a 3M film. There appears to be a 3M Prestige Crystalline film but not sure that is the same as the Photosync.

StealthPilot 12-04-2014 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet (Post 1114139)
Is the Prestige film a 3M film. There appears to be a 3M Prestige Crystalline film but not sure that is the same as the Photosync.

No Prestige Photosync is not 3M. It's made by Prestige Films.

The Crystalline is a competing film. Statistically Prestige performs better but is also more expensive. Crystalline would be my second choice.

buickfunnycar.com 12-04-2014 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To each their own but I like it...18%:
Attachment 156146

buickfunnycar.com 12-04-2014 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 156145

ldmack3 12-04-2014 09:27 AM

Beautiful!
Still say White is the only color for the coupe.

buickfunnycar.com 12-04-2014 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ldmack3 (Post 1114225)
Beautiful!
Still say White is the only color for the coupe...

There's a reason why Jaguar exclusively used a White coupe in their advertising...I won't argue with either one of you,lol!

undfeatable 12-04-2014 10:09 AM

Tint! If you do it, 35% llumar ceramic is my preference. Great quality and major heat reduction. I did 35% around my current all around the car and the visor. Once I get an F-Type, it's going to be the same except Instead of the visor, pay the massive price for the windshield tint that is like 70% but blocks UV Rays also. Gotta protect that leather!

mm767cap 12-04-2014 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet (Post 1114126)
I like that as you can still see into the car some. What percent please?

I'm pretty sure it's 35%.... Not perfectly sure of that anymore because it's been awhile but I believe that was the number

RickyJay52 12-04-2014 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 226449

That is a stunning shot. (Can't believe I can't get [more than two, of the same angle] a stunning shot of a V6S in Stratus Gray with the Propeller wheels).

undfeatable 12-04-2014 12:51 PM

Another thing to consider about tint is the lighting changes so much during the day. I love the 35% ceramic functions.

You need ceramic, metallic blocks phone signals and the remote signal and dyed looks like crap over time (even the good ones), they also don't block nearly enough heat.

With a black interior, I think its vital to tint in order to be comfortable touching your interior, especially on a hot day when you get back to your car. I have a good ole manual and I know prior to tinting, touching the metal/leather shifter knob was impossible.

Going by the pics on this thread, its just taking a car that looks like an 11, and turns it to a 12. @mm767cap, absolutely gorgeous, makes me rethink my color choice to white from firesand.

LynxFX 12-04-2014 01:22 PM

I plan on getting 35% again. Less chance for a fix-it ticket and still looks good.

RobsnTX 12-04-2014 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ldmack3 (Post 1114225)
Beautiful!
Still say White is the only color for the coupe.

I agree with white. Incredible looking car! I have almost the same thing on order!

PD2911 12-04-2014 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64 (Post 1113933)
Personally, I think a medium tint, smoked will be nice and good for heat and a little privacy.

I don't like the limo black pimped out look on any car to be honest and would ruin any F type imo

I definitely am not doing that look!!! That look "cheapens" any vehicle -
Do. Not. Like. It.

PD2911 12-04-2014 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1113926)
It already comes with tinted glass , and I agree with your dealer. Dark tint is illegal on driver and pax windows in my state, but even if it weren't, I'm not into the "celebrity limo" look.

I've only seen a quick pic of my coupe, I can't get there before Saturday to pick it up. I noticed on that pic that the windows look tinted. My GM said it has some factory tint. That's why I decided to see it first and drive it a few days before deciding. I'm on the AL Gulf Coast and it gets H. O. T. here!!
When I have my vehicle windows tinted I do less than the legal limit I don't like the windows dark.

PD2911 12-04-2014 10:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies!!:)

Foosh 12-05-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by PD2911 (Post 1114608)
I've only seen a quick pic of my coupe, I can't get there before Saturday to pick it up. I noticed on that pic that the windows look tinted. My GM said it has some factory tint. That's why I decided to see it first and drive it a few days before deciding. I'm on the AL Gulf Coast and it gets H. O. T. here!!
When I have my vehicle windows tinted I do less than the legal limit I don't like the windows dark.

We must have been neighbors considering there isn't much AL Gulf Coast. We had a place in OBA before we sold it about a year go. We LOVED it down there, but could only manage to make it 2-3 times a year.

themacs 12-05-2014 08:12 AM

Tint

I did 50% on all 3 windows on my vert. It looks quite nice and not too dark to draw legal attention. It reflects enough of the heat to be functional also,

Many are darker, but in CA you're asking for trouble.

I will try to get a picture up.

Scott

Lovemonet 12-05-2014 08:15 AM

With all the discussion regarding window tint no one has mentioned tinting the pano roof from a heat/IRA perspective. So you coulld allow the light in on a bright, sunny day but not so much heat and glare. Is there a reason no one appears to do this?

StealthPilot 12-05-2014 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet (Post 1114790)
With all the discussion regarding window tint no one has mentioned tinting the pano roof from a heat/IRA perspective. So you coulld allow the light in on a bright, sunny day but not so much heat and glare. Is there a reason no one appears to do this?

No it can be done too. The roof is already tinted and rejects UV. So you would only bother if you had a tint which could really perform against IR.

PD2911 12-05-2014 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1114770)
We must have been neighbors considering there isn't much AL Gulf Coast. We had a place in OBA before we sold it about a year go. We LOVED it down there, but could only manage to make it 2-3 times a year.

OB is beautiful, as is the entire Gulf Cioast. Gorgeous sugar white sand you don't find on the other beaches in the US.

Foosh 12-05-2014 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PD2911 (Post 1114810)
OB is beautiful, as is the entire Gulf Cioast. Gorgeous sugar white sand you don't find on the other beaches in the US.

Absolutely true! I've never seen prettier beaches anywhere on the planet.

thebigcat 12-07-2014 12:34 AM

I am debating it internally, taking the car on Monday to have it the xpel paint protection applied to the vehicle, debating whether or not to add the tint, the only thing I don't like about tint is at night its tough to see the mirrors

Lovemonet 12-07-2014 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by thebigcat (Post 1115916)
I am debating it internally, taking the car on Monday to have it the xpel paint protection applied to the vehicle, debating whether or not to add the tint, the only thing I don't like about tint is at night its tough to see the mirrors

I am considering a lighter tint that offers more IR protection like the PhotoSync that Stealth mentioned or the 3M crystalline.

What parts of the car are you having filmed? I am still undecided whether to go with a ceramic coating or the film. If I choose the film I plan to cover the full hood, side panels, doors and the spoiler.

ldmack3 12-07-2014 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet (Post 1115982)
I am considering a lighter tint that offers more IR protection like the PhotoSync that Stealth mentioned or the 3M crystalline.

What parts of the car are you having filmed? I am still undecided whether to go with a ceramic coating or the film. If I choose the film I plan to cover the full hood, side panels, doors and the spoiler.

Wouldn't it be best to do the film and the coating? Film for rock protection and coating for paint protection where not filmed?

On the tint I did side windows only at the max allowed in Texas and have no problem seeing the mirrors. I did not do the back as its strictly a sun shine issue for me. The mirrors are the first auto dimming I've ever seen that really work.
Wish the visors would rotate to the side!

StealthPilot 12-07-2014 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ldmack3 (Post 1116015)
Wouldn't it be best to do the film and the coating? Film for rock protection and coating for paint protection where not filmed? On the tint I did side windows only at the max allowed in Texas and have no problem seeing the mirrors. I did not do the back as its strictly a sun shine issue for me. The mirrors are the first auto dimming I've ever seen that really work. Wish the visors would rotate to the side!

Yes. In fact I will coat the whole car after applying film so the film is coated too.