Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   +*+*+Project Crusher by Buckhead Imports Performance, XJR with 2.9 Whipple 700HP+*+*+ (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/%2A-%2A-project-crusher-buckhead-imports-performance-xjr-2-9-whipple-700hp-%2A-%2A-80590/)

B.I.P. 09-11-2012 04:43 PM

+*+*+Project Crusher by Buckhead Imports Performance, XJR with 2.9 Whipple 700HP+*+*+

8 Attachment(s)
Our customer came to us and wanted an extreme build making around 700HP, so we went to work and this what has transpired:
  • BIP Steel sleeved XJR block
  • BIP ported and polished heads
  • BIP custom fuel rails and injectors
  • Forged Ross pistons and rods
  • 2.9 whipple with custom intercooler and intake manifold to bolt to the Jag block
  • BIP custom built longtube headers
  • BIP tuning done by Tony Lawshee
Thanks for looking and let us know if you have any questions.

Whipple 2.9 with intercooler, rail, injectors, throttle body plate etc...

Attachment 160771
Attachment 160772
Attachment 160773
Attachment 160774
Attachment 160775
Attachment 160776
Attachment 160777
Attachment 160778

bfsgross 09-11-2012 06:34 PM

700 chp? Jaysus!!! Guess it's safe to say your XJR customer has an "Open Check Book" ($20+k motor)? Is this a 4.0 or 4.2 supercharged build-up? I'm guessing a 4.2 s/c. Not speaking for eveyone...this's an exclusive engine build. Just give me a twin screw for an extra 200 chp for the S-Type R. DANG! That XJR will take out a 560 chp Caddilac V, Bentley Super Sport, and 580 chp 2013 Camaro LTZ. Jaysus! That motor looked too good. Gunna play that Lotto ticket on Saturday.

03Jagg 09-11-2012 06:40 PM

Awesome work!

Michael Star 09-11-2012 08:04 PM

How did you do the tuning? Stand alone?

Will you release a whipple kit for the STR?

How much different are the headers between the two?

bfsgross 09-11-2012 10:00 PM

Wonder if the ECU can handle this major transformation? What about trans. and rear? Tame enough/streetable and smooth for highway driving?

Under Pressure 09-12-2012 05:42 AM

Please, please, please keep us updated on the progress! I want to see final results and video on dyno when done (I can only imagine the sound of that kompressor!). I am also curious as to how the transmission will hold or will it be modified to cope?

B.I.P. 09-12-2012 08:11 AM

This build is on a 4.0 block and we plan to finish the build and see how the tuning does on the stock ECU first. The trans was modified with SLR solenoids, and a TCU tune. The rear end received a LSD to harness all the power to both wheels.

jag79 09-12-2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by B.I.P. (Post 580036)
This build is on a 4.0 block and we plan to finish the build and see how the tuning does on the stock ECU first. The trans was modified with SLR solenoids, and a TCU tune. The rear end received a LSD to harness all the power to both wheels.

AWESOME!!! I hope in the near future this will be available for the STRs.........

bfsgross 09-12-2012 01:12 PM

BIP, what assembly used for LSD? Again, if U R able to do this work on a 4.0 s/c "S", can you develop an adaptor for the 4.2 S-Type R's intake manifold so that the Kenn Bell twin screw adapted to the XKR can be used on the 4.2 STR as well. This was performed by our forum member AVOS for one of his customers in Belgium. Many of us R interested in this mod, an affordable LSD conversion, and an ECU tune to bring it all together.

B.I.P. 09-12-2012 01:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some pics of our custom in house built headers. We have another XJR in the shop that made 309rwhp, and just slapped these exact same suckers on there. Nothing else was changed on the car, we will release the data soon:) We have a vid of the run too!

Attachment 160750
Attachment 160751
Attachment 160752

B.I.P. 09-12-2012 02:19 PM

BFSGross, to answer your question, yes sir we can. We are going to be cutting an intake manifold for our E85 E55 car, so we can install a Whipple 2.9 on it.....

The 2.9 whipple that is going on our customers 4.0 XJR, is actually the second intake we cut, and second Whipple been installed. We originally went with a 2.3 Whipple and specific intake for that size blower, but it was not going to generate enough power, so we sent that unit back to Whipple, and got the 2.9

As a result, a second intake had to be cut for the larger unit.

Panthro 09-12-2012 11:07 PM

Watching this with MUCH interest. Please keep us (the Jaguar community) informed.:icon_bump1:

avos 09-12-2012 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross (Post 580196)
BIP, what assembly used for LSD? Again, if U R able to do this work on a 4.0 s/c "S", can you develop an adaptor for the 4.2 S-Type R's intake manifold so that the Kenn Bell twin screw adapted to the XKR can be used on the 4.2 STR as well. This was performed by our forum member AVOS for one of his customers in Belgium. Many of us R interested in this mod, an affordable LSD conversion, and an ECU tune to bring it all together.

Am still working on it, hope it will be soon now. The KenneBell unit is different from the Whipple one, including the way I do the setup, so there is no interchangeability.

bfsgross 09-13-2012 06:56 AM

Hi AVOS. Thank U for chiming in. Is there a difference in mechanics and power potential between the Whipple and Kenn Bell? Will you be developig an STR intake manifold adaptor that'll allow for the customer to provide his own Kenn Bell blower? If yes, what'll be the approx. fee for one or both? B.I.P, not to speak for all; I believe most of us aren't interested in such a radical exhaust mod. Both the cost and increase in noise would likely be unbearable, besides, a very small amount of STR's will see track duty. Looking for a reliable 450+ rwhp STR to hold its own against Caddilac V's, Camaro's, MOPARS, BMW M's....

Brutal 09-13-2012 08:15 AM

listening to several cars with KB's and Whipples. I think both are quieter than the Eatons at full tilt.

avos 09-13-2012 01:59 PM

@Bfsgross,
This is Bips thread, so maybe better to turn arround the question to them about the supercharger...

You can ask me any question in my thread though.

bfsgross 09-13-2012 08:18 PM

Avos

K Avos, will do, thanks

Spinall4 09-13-2012 11:20 PM

So the question is, can you tune the s type r ecu?

Also I love that fitting for the water pipe under the sc. Any one who has pulled the sc off has looked at that hose and thought WTF.

B.I.P. 09-14-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Spinall4 (Post 581150)
So the question is, can you tune the s type r ecu?

Also I love that fitting for the water pipe under the sc. Any one who has pulled the sc off has looked at that hose and thought WTF.

We all know how the Jag ECU does not like to be tuned or tweaked much, if at all. Once our build is complete, and we start the dyno tuning process of the car, if the ECU does not take to our adjustments, a stand alone system will have to be used.

1320racer 09-18-2012 02:42 AM

I'm another owner who is watching this very significant project with great interest.

You are likely aware that no commercial performance aftermarket parts have made any significant performance gains for 2000-2008 Jaguar "R" cars (S Type-R, XJR and XKR). AVOS (a very knowledgeable, nice and competent guy) has an awesome twin-screw power adder but he's across the pond and is a one man band.

Many of us have invested in performance parts with "promised" performance gains -- but no significant results have been realized or proven. In the years of racing my S Type-R (along with 15 dyno pulls) the only significant power increase was due to low temperatures. When the air temperatures are cold (<55F) along with cool engine coolant (<180F), good power is present. Without the use of nitrous oxide and/or low temperatures most of us have only proven performance gains of up to 25 horse power and up to 30 torque by doing the following:
-upper s/c pulley (2.6") = better low rpm performance at expense of high rpm performance
-remove resonator, install high flow cats, x-pipe, and high flow mufflers = slight increase of hp and torque across the board
-low temp stat (or no thermostat) = good performance for longer duration
-remove OEM air intake mufflers, install curved pipe keeping OEM air filter box