Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Hey guys need some advice on another code!(P0442) Resolved (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/hey-guys-need-some-advice-another-code-p0442-resolved-89630/)

Mikey 02-11-2013 09:52 AM

Be aware that the self test for the evap system only occurs when the tank is more that 1/4 but less than 3/4 full . When I was chasing the same code, I could fill the tank, reset the codes and drive about 150kms (numbers of days is irrelevant) before the CEL came on again.

devo357 02-11-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 674287)
Be aware that the self test for the evap system only occurs when the tank is more that 1/4 but less than 3/4 full . When I was chasing the same code, I could fill the tank, reset the codes and drive about 150kms (numbers of days is irrelevant) before the CEL came on again.

Ok thanks Mikey will make a note of that should be good test through the rest of this week her tank was 3/4 as of yesterday.

devo357 02-12-2013 10:27 AM

OK I spoke too soon.
The code came on this morning and now its P0456 (very small leak)
So I guess I am back to square one going to check the canister in the engine compartment any other suggestions? I have been through a lot of threads and there doesnt seem to be a common denominator as far as this code goes.
Smoke test yes/no?

Dean

JagV8 02-12-2013 10:42 AM

Yours has extra parts that aren't on the earlier cars so you could be pretty much a pioneer in terms of posting it on here. Didn't one of the techs (xjrguy? Brutal?) mention some of this?

devo357 02-12-2013 11:03 AM

Yes Jag I have read about the "extra parts" in the 07' and thanks to you for that!
So I will start at the EVAP purge valve/canister which seems the most common and go from there.

MyBlackCat 02-12-2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by devo357 (Post 675047)
OK I spoke too soon.
The code came on this morning and now its P0456 (very small leak)
So I guess I am back to square one going to check the canister in the engine compartment any other suggestions? I have been through a lot of threads and there doesnt seem to be a common denominator as far as this code goes.
Smoke test yes/no?

Dean

I fought with this code for a few weeks. The shop tried all the easy "fixes" before finally getting serious after I got ticked off.

Brutal suggested that with his experience the problem was probably the gas tank O ring seals on the top of the tank sender, I could smell fuel at times from the rear of the car.

They did a smoke test and said it was inconclusive, I showed them the message from Brutal, reluctantly they agreed to change the O rings (not really a big job) I don't know why they didn't just do it in the first place.

Anyway, this cured the problem and no more codes. It has been three months and it has not returned. The smell of fuel also has gone away.

I think the fuel smell was around for quite some time before the code was thrown only not very strong, I guess when the O rings worsened the smell got stronger and the code appeared.

Thanks again to Brutal,

devo357 02-13-2013 10:41 AM

Ok thanks I will add that to the ever growing list of things to check lol

hollywooddippa 05-19-2014 06:57 PM

I know this is a year too late, but if you see this, let us know it went and what eventually fixed it.

I've got the same issue and have had it for 3 years. We don't have inspections in Florida so I only start working on when the light bugs me, and I don't don't drive it as much anymore either.

devo357 05-19-2014 07:31 PM

Sorry after I replaced the gas cap the code did come back I cleared it and it stayed off and has not come back. I was headed in the direction that brutal had pointed bit I never had to go there the code has not returned.

hollywooddippa 05-19-2014 07:56 PM

Glad ya got it fixed. I saw you changed the cap once and it came back. Did get another one and the second worked?

MyBlackCat 05-20-2014 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by hollywooddippa (Post 978674)
I know this is a year too late, but if you see this, let us know it went and what eventually fixed it.

I've got the same issue and have had it for 3 years. We don't have inspections in Florida so I only start working on when the light bugs me, and I don't don't drive it as much anymore either.

Did you do the seals I spoke about on post #26? I have an 06 like you. I think you work as a technician, this should be an easy job for you and less than 10 bucks for parts.

hollywooddippa 05-20-2014 09:15 AM

Ha ha, that's funny, cause that's actually my next step on the list. Looks fairly straight forward. I'm going to pull the seat and take a couple pictures of the rings and see if the tool room has something I can check out for the weekend.

Did you replace both of them? Have you ever bought from a company called jagbits?

devo357 05-20-2014 09:32 AM

No same cap I just cleared the code one last time and that was it. I think the code may have been stored from before I replaced the cap and popped up almost immediately after I changed it but again I think it was going to pop up anyway cap or not and after clearing it all was good.

MyBlackCat 05-20-2014 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by hollywooddippa (Post 979063)
Ha ha, that's funny, cause that's actually my next step on the list. Looks fairly straight forward. I'm going to pull the seat and take a couple pictures of the rings and see if the tool room has something I can check out for the weekend.

Did you replace both of them? Have you ever bought from a company called jagbits?

They were done at the Jag dealer. I think they did both. It was still under my extended warranty at the time. The invoice showed that the seals were inexpensive. They tried every remedy they could think off and a few smoke tests. Wasted allot of time and energy before finally doing the seals. I don't think they wanted to do my suggestion (from Brutal) just because...lol. In the end it was all good after I got ticked off with them.

Jumpin' Jag Flash 05-21-2014 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by hollywooddippa (Post 979063)
Have you ever bought from a company called jagbits?

They have been recommended by other members of this Forum as a reputable parts supplier, although I have not bought anything from them. But don't take my word for it. Do a search on the Forum and see what others have to say about them.