Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Intake elbow STR (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/intake-elbow-str-43493/)

Michael Star 10-07-2010 03:12 PM

Intake elbow STR

Ok, I have been looking through all the intake threads, but I haven't see one where someone keeps the stock air filter box, but replaces the intake elbow with something larger/smoother. Has anyone attempted it?

vance580 10-07-2010 04:40 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ht=intake+pipe
Here is a thread of someone who experimented with a few different intake setups and tested the temps. He found that just replacing the elbow and leaving the stock box yielded the best results. I would like to look into getting a different elbow if not for performance at least get some more intake noise by removing all the dang silencers.

Michael Star 10-07-2010 05:38 PM

Oh wow thanks! Not sure how I missed that thread!

jag79 10-10-2010 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vance580 (Post 253247)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ht=intake+pipe
Here is a thread of someone who experimented with a few different intake setups and tested the temps. He found that just replacing the elbow and leaving the stock box yielded the best results. I would like to look into getting a different elbow if not for performance at least get some more intake noise by removing all the dang silencers.

...I too would like to get a 3" Aluminum elbow that replaces that Plastic intake tubing thats originally on there.
Anyone find a replacement for the mid section intake tubing thats already made to fit the STR? Exactly like the pic I attached minus the Cone filter, I want to stick it with the OEM air box.

Mafioso 10-10-2010 10:19 PM

I see a HUGE problem with changing out the OE elbow although it's really nice to get rid of silencer baffles. A metal elbow does introduce heat soak. Since it's essentially over the blower. Without some sort of coating all you would do is make the intake louder but no true gains I can forsee losses actually. That's the same problem the Mina gallery intake suffers from. I'm looking into some sort. HPC coating that might help out. We are pretty much on our own for performance stuff so we need to do it right

HPC- high performance ceramic

Michael Star 10-11-2010 07:05 AM

I would find it hard to believe that the air will heat up a significant amount as it passes through it. Even if it does, it wouldn't be much and the increased flow would make up for it.

Mafioso 10-11-2010 08:39 AM

Possibly, I don't have any solid numbers in hand but I know logically speaking it won't help out for heat soak. It could also end up like the Mina gallery intake. I'd like to get my hands on an OE tube to see if I can make a fiberglass one or carbon fiber one

Michael Star 10-11-2010 09:11 AM

I am tempted to get one of the universal ones from Autozone and try. I will take some air temps also.

Mafioso 10-11-2010 09:24 AM

Yea my local speed shop and I have been fabbing a couple prototypes including one to draw air from the lower front air dam. Or possibly putting the filter in the bumper and HPC coating the whole thing in the inside to keep the temps ambient or as close as possible. Right now with the plastic tube I've been reading about 5 degrees above ambient driving for 20 min. Letting car idle for about ten min. I see about 140 degrees when ambient is about 90 degrees go out for a 20 min drive and I still see 100+ degree temps with 90 degree OAT. That's why I'm so concerned with the heat soak issue. I have some data logs of you want to take a peek.

Michael Star 10-11-2010 09:26 AM

That would be great! What are the temps with the stock elbow?

Mafioso 10-11-2010 09:29 AM

Do you have AIM or yahoo?

blaksplash 10-11-2010 09:20 PM

I replaced my intake tube with a 3" aluminum elbow. I wrapped it in heat resistance wrap. It's not exactly "pretty", but it does a good job of keeping the heat out.

notice the results here-

picture of it here-

Mafioso 10-11-2010 09:25 PM

I was thinking something similar but using an HPC coating :)

blaksplash 10-11-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mafioso (Post 254846)
I was thinking something similar but using an HPC coating :)

that would work... plus i bet it would look a lot better! :D

Mafioso 10-11-2010 09:41 PM

Worst that can happen is that it doesn't work well and a dent in the pocketbook haha

I found some ceramic powdercoating that looks polished I'll probably end up going that route

vance580 10-12-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by blaksplash (Post 254843)
I replaced my intake tube with a 3" aluminum elbow. I wrapped it in heat resistance wrap. It's not exactly "pretty", but it does a good job of keeping the heat out.

notice the results here-

picture of it here-

Thats what I'm looking at doing. QUESTION where did you get your oval to circle adapter at and what size pipe did you use???

Michael Star 10-12-2010 03:40 PM

I was wondering that too. It looks almost like it was "shaped" into an oval.

The Chris X 10-13-2010 07:29 AM

IIRC, I think in his performace thread he said that he used a vice or channel locks to just squash the round pipe into an oval...

blaksplash 10-13-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X (Post 255435)
IIRC, I think in his performace thread he said that he used a vice or channel locks to just squash the round pipe into an oval...

yup, i used a vice to get one end into an oval shape. i bought a 3" aluminum turbo intercooler kit off ebay with all sorts of different length and bends plus many silicon couplers.

vance580 10-13-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by blaksplash (Post 255522)
yup, i used a vice to get one end into an oval shape. i bought a 3" aluminum turbo intercooler kit off ebay with all sorts of different length and bends plus many silicon couplers.

So is that an oval coupler or a circle that you just stretched to an oval? If its a 3" circle was it an exact fit to the oval of the intake?